What is ADHD and ADHD Symptoms?
Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) is a biological disorder commonly diagnosed in kids which continues till adulthood. In simple words ADHD makes difficult for your kids to focus, concentrate, making them hyper active, distractible, low impulse control and thus making difficult for them to perform in school.
Symptoms of Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder can be seen from early age, its a lifelong disorder with no cure but ADHD treatment and medication is available. The prevalence of ADHD among Indian kids is a growing concern.
According to one of the research conducted in high school 11.32% students were seen with symptoms of ADHD, prevalence was much higher among males as compared to females. This ratio has caused growing concerned among parents. Although Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder is not a result of bad parenting or socio-economic conditions.
What causes ADHD?
There are many causes which contribute to the Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) and various part of the brain are affected in this, frontal lobe of cerebrum having the most involvement, which allows us to solve problem, learn, and understand the behavior is found to be affected.
ADHD can be caused by various factors like:
- Dysfunction of brain:Interconnected gray masses called as basal ganglia in the cerebral hemisphere acting as connection between cerebrum and cerebellum and is responsible for the motor coordination.
All these parts of the brain are studied using various methods. According to one of the developed model problem in response inhibition is core deficit in Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD).
Individuals with ADHD have shown significantly reduced activity in brain, particularly with those areas of per motor cortex and prefrontal cortex, which are responsible for motor activities in brain.
- Chemical imbalances: Abnormities in neurotransmitter Dopamine activity and its connection with brain is found to be affected. Level of another neurotransmitter serotonin is also found to be affected in person with Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD).
- Genes and Symptoms of ADHD : Molecular genetic research has focused on genes which are later to found responsible for ADHD, genes have been found out which are linked to Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder.
This shows great evidences that Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) runs in a family and thus making hereditary a common cause of this, there are high chances if your kid is affected than you may be the carrier of the same disorder.
- Smoking, alcohol consumption and drug use during pregnancy: Consumption of such during pregnancy can be risky as there is seen the relation between smoking and pregnancy and exposure to various chemical like lead is also to be found causing Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) by affecting brain development in kids.
- Food Additives and sugar: It was assumed that attention disorders were caused because of sugar or food additives. As per the recent study on the effect of sugar on kids showed no significant effects on behavior and learning of kids.
What does not cause ADHD:
- Food Allergy
- Bad parenting
Symptoms of ADHD:
Symptoms are seen in both kids and adults. In kids it’s not easily to understood, lack of attention, distractive nature is mistaken as the normal kid behavior. Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) is often diagnosed by poor academic performance.
At young age is hard to understand the symptoms of ADHD, according to researchers its diagnosis is suggested after the age 4 yrs. There is pattern of behavior noted among the individual and occurrence of symptoms of Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) which depend upon the different settings around them.
Symptoms of ADHD in kids:
- Easily distracted: It’s normal for kids to get distracted easily but the Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder or ADHD affected individual faces regular pattern of ADHD symptoms.
Their attention is continuously diverted thus as a result they are not able to perform well. They are not good at doing multitasking as they can’t concentrate and also loses interest easily.
- Lacks Attention: Kids with Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) symptoms are not able to focus well on the given task, they jump from one task to another without finishing them.
The feel bored when the task is repetitive and often are not good listeners. They faces troubles in completing school assignments projects and often forgets. They are also lethargic in nature.
- Carelessness: At this tender age, most of the kids are careless in nature, there is absence of maturity in them. But Kids with Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) are found to make careless mistake more, often loses required things like keys, books, pencils, papers.
- Lack sense of organization: Planning, organization of task and activity are seems to be difficult for them to do. They avoid activity with mental task.
- Disoriented: They have found to lack sense of orientation in them. They get bored easily.
- Hyperactivity: This is most commonly found symptom of ADHD, affected kid is continuously moving, roaming aimlessly, touching playing around with anything in sight, talkative nature is also noted.
It’s hard for them to sit quietly/ideal and attentive, they tap their hands, fingers drumming; making noises, they try to keep themselves busy doing various things at a same time.
- Impulsivity: “Act without Thinking” kids often say or do things without forethought, they might also show aggressive behavior while playing. They don’t have patience to wait for their turn during playing. Interrupting others while speaking and often passing comments.
In schools they interrupts while teaching, answering before listings about what is being asked. Emotional burst is also noticed as one of the symptoms of ADHD, they often say something which might sounds loud to others.
Symptoms of ADHD in Adults:
The symptoms of Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) keeps changing with growing age. It may include:
- Mood Swings: Sudden change in behavior is noticed among affected adults. There is repetitive pattern shown in the nature. Aggressive behavior is dominantly seen as symptom of Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD).
- Time management issues: As a human it’s common to have this issue but ADHD adults find it difficult to manage even the easy of the task, affecting there performance at work. They find it difficult to manage, plan and organize a task often feeling boredom.
- Anger outburst: Impulsive nature as with time in individuals with ADHD grows to more severe symptoms in adulthood. Due to growing pressure in their life and work they seems to feel irritated soon.
- Social inactiveness: Individual seems to feel detached from the society as their behavior may be mistaken by people and they also experience problems in maintaining healthy relationship.
- Low self-esteem: There incapability to perform at work and in life leads to low confidence level thus making them insecure. Under performance may result in feeling of hopelessness. Individual may find it difficult to self-boast there confidence leading to depression in them.
- Fatigue: Feeling of tiredness among Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder is observed in adults.
- Forgetfulness: This symptom of ADHD is seen in childhood and keeps expanding its roots in adulthood.
Is it ADHD?
Symptoms of Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) seems to be normal life sign, although severeness can only be detected by their continuous appearance and childhood history.
Its diagnosis may seems difficult as the symptoms of ADHD are very common to normal human nature.
Occurrence of Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)?
It occurs equally in men and women but the ratio is seen higher in men as compared to women. It’s not a “Discriminatory Disorder”– can affects person irrespective of there social and economic status.
Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) according to some researchers is found to be under diagnosed in women and also the ADHD treatment is less preferred.
Parenting with Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) Kids:
Children with ADHD faces difficulty if they are left untreated, they find trouble to adjust in school and society. For parents it’s a challenging situation too, they need to understand their child’s psychology and behavior.
Early ADHD treatment and understanding the symptoms of ADHD can help your kid to overcome this, work with doctor, therapist and family member to plan out treatment and ADHD medication as per your kid’s needs and ease.
Handling kid with hyperactivity, impulsive nature and inattentiveness as Symptoms of ADHD is a task itself, one has to calm and patience in handling kid at the same time having proper knowledge about ADHD will help you.
Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder is not a result of Bad Parenting, so parents shouldn’t feel guilty instead they need to support their kids in understanding and Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) symptoms, so that he can perform well personally and professionally.
- Including exercise
- Good sleep
- Right diet
- Timely ADHD Medication
are found to be useful for kids. Contribution of other family members and school also plays a role to overcome Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD).
As schools are places where kids learn most, analyze your kids need, his symptoms of ADHD and create routine or structure for them, talking with their teachers and coming up with activities which can help them to stay focus, attentive and improve their performance in school.
Available ADHD Treatment:
As ADHD is lifelong disease there is no known cure for it but therapies and ADHD medication are proved to be helpful.
Meditation is considered to be activity of peace, it might help to calm down the impulsive nature of the person also help them to be more attentive and focused. Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) medications are also helpful in controlling the impulsive behavior. They are called as stimulant which might not work for everybody.
Therapies are found to be extremely useful as they help to build confidence among Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder affected. For kids it’s of great use as it helps to modify their behavior, understanding of kids psychology can help improve his behavior.
Individual with Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) can lead a good and happy life, if given care, support and acceptance. Proper ADHD treatment and early detection is always useful in overcoming disease.