Learn How To Apply Eyeliner Like A Pro!
If you’re a makeup lover, I’m sure you would want to know how to apply eyeliner perfectly. Well, why not? An eyeliner is something so amazing that makes us look absolutely gorgeous.
A perfectly worn eyeliner not only makes your eyes sparkle but also takes your make up skills to a whole new level. It is a magical eye makeup trick that can give you a flawless look every day and for every occasion. If you’re someone who can’t do without an eyeliner just like me, then high-five, girl! 😉 Our love for eyeliners have just brought us together.
When we talk about eyeliners, it is of course necessary to know how to apply eyeliner perfectly. So, how many of you have tried to perfect the cat eye look but instead ended up looking like a panda? Oh you ladies! I’m sure we’ve all been there. Pandas are no doubt cute, but you need to learn how to apply eyeliner to create a pristine and unblemished look for the eyes.
Before moving onto the tips on how to apply eyeliner, let’s take a look at what an eyeliner exactly is.
What is Eyeliner?
Eyeliners are eye makeup products that are used to define the eyes and make them look prominent. Accentuating the eyes gives us a neat and top-notch look for any kind of occasion. Eyeliners are basically women’s best pal and they add extra oomph to our look.
Well, eyeliners certainly make you look attractive but if you don’t know how to apply eyeliner perfectly, then it can be quite a battle for you. If you’re someone like that, you don’t have to worry. We are here to your rescue. After you’re done reading, I’m sure you would be filled with ideas to the brim about how to get that bang on look.
Just a moment! Do you ladies know that there are different kinds of eyeliners available in the markets in India? I’m sure you do. So, let’s move onto discuss about the different eyeliners in India and how to apply each one of them perfectly.
Types of Eyeliners
When we talk about how to apply eyeliner, knowing about the types of eyeliners in India becomes significant. The different types of eyeliners are :
1. Liquid Eyeliners with Brush Applicators
If you want a fine lined application, then liquid eyeliners with brush applicators would work best for you. These eyeliners come in little bottles with a dipping brush. The brushes help you in drawing a thin line on your upper eyelids. If you want to create a thicker line, you need to press down the brush. But in order to create a fine line, one needs a lot of practice.
Moreover, if you’re a beginner and you are learning how to apply eyeliner then liquid eyeliners are not fit for you. They might give you a tough time in giving you the cat eye or smokey eye look that you need. Furthermore, these eyeliners cannot be used on your waterlines as they wouldn’t dry off.
How to apply liquid eyeliners with brush applicators?
In case you’re using liquid eyeliners with the dipping brush applicators, you need to know how to apply eyeliner perfectly. These are the steps you need to follow :
- Cleanse your face, apply a moisturizer and prep up your eyelids by applying an eyelid primer. By doing this, you could wear your eyeliner perfectly the whole day. It would also give you a flawless finish.
- Let your elbow rest on a table. This would help you get in the right position and you could avoid mistakes while applying the eyeliner. Now start drawing little dashes on the upper lash line. If you try to apply liquid eyeliner in one stroke then chances of doing it wrong are high.
- Now, slowly join the dashes that you have drawn. You will notice that you have created a fine line by doing so. Do not join them in one stroke if you want a perfectly lined eyeliner.
- Further, smooth out the line that you have drawn and if you want a cat eye look, draw your tail line as well. After that, you can finish your eye makeup by applying a mascara.
Don’t you think that getting a classy look is easy after knowing how to apply eyeliner? I’m sure the answer is yes. Well, the best liquid eyeliners for eye makeup in India include Maybelline Hyper Glossy Liquid Eyeliner and Lakme Insta Liquid Eyeliner. Go ahead and try these out, ladies! 🙂
2. Felt Tip Eyeliners
Felt Tip Eyeliners are also a type of liquid eyeliners sans the dipping brushes. These generally have marker type tips. If you’re a beginner and you’re learning how to apply eyeliner then this eyeliner would be perfect for you. With these, you can make different patterns by holding the marker in different ways.
Creating a winged eyeliner is easy with felt tip eyeliners as it helps you in making thin and thick lines too. These eyeliners stay for a long period of time. Let’s learn few tips on how to apply eyeliner using felt tip markers.
How to apply eyeliner using Felt Tip Eyeliners?
- Start by cleansing and moisturizing your face. Apply eye primer. Get into the perfect position and use a cosmetic mirror. This helps you in the application of your eyeliner.
- Take the end of felt tip eyeliner and start making a dash or a tail at the outer corner of the upper eyelid. This gives you an idea about where your eyeliner is supposed to go.
- Now, start joining the tail with the rest of your eyelid through small strokes. Then you’re good to go.
According to me, Maybelline’s The Colossal Liner is the best felt tip eyeliner in India. It is not only smudge free but also easy to use and carry. It provides deep black intensity which you will fall in love with. Using this product while learning how to apply eyeliner would work wonders.
3. Gel Eyeliners
The Gel Eyeliners, also known as cream eyeliners, are generally available in pots and you can apply it with the help of a brush or a q-tip. It has a consistency like a wax and hence, usage of these can be pretty easy. One can use it with a brush if you want a thin line and use it with a q-tip if you prefer a smokey eyed look.
Gel eyeliners are waterproof and hence, won’t come off easily. Let’s learn how to apply eyeliner if you’re using a gel or cream liner.
How to apply Gel Eyeliners?
- Cleanse your face properly, apply moisturizer and eye primer before applying the liner. You can also use under eye creams if you have dark circles. This will lessen the discoloration. There are various other remedies to get rid of dark circles too.
- Make sure you have chosen the right brush for your look. Use a wide brush if you intend on having a smokey eye look. Otherwise, a flat brush would do good to you.
- Dip the brush in the pot and make sure both sides of the brush have the product on for better application. If you find any excess amount of the product, take it off.
- Start drawing the line now from the middle of the lash line and extend it to the outer eye for a winged eyeliner look. Then, complete the line by drawing it from the inner corner of the eye towards the middle. If you want an intense colour, dab on a few more layers onto it. Now, your winged eyeliner is ready.
Gel Eyeliners are pretty easy to use if you’re learning how to apply eyeliner newly. Lakme Absolute Gel Addict Eyeliner and Maybelline Eye Studio Lasting Drama Gel Eyeliner can be considered as one of the best products for eye makeup in India. They are comfortable and give intense and rich colour to your eyes.
4. Regular Pencil Eyeliner
These are the basic eyeliners that one can use to start with. They can be used to create a good lined look, a smokey eye and it can also be applied on your waterline. So, if you own one, then you have a versatile eyeliner in your make up kit, lady! 😉 Learning how to apply eyeliner can be the easiest if you use one regular pencil eyeliner.
The staying power is not as much as the other eyeliners and its intensity is on the thinner side. Come on, you can’t expect one product to do everything. Now, let’s see how to apply eyeliner using these products.
How to apply Regular Pencil Eyeliners?
- Cleanse your face as this ensures that no bacteria gets into your eye while you’re doing your eye makeup. Make sure you sit in a comfortable position and let your elbows rest on a table for support. Apply a matte based eye shadow to even out your skin tone.
- Hold the outer corner of your eye and start applying the eyeliner to the outer corner of the upper eyelid. Make sure you start by drawing a thin line.
- By making small strokes, draw the line from the outer corner to the inner part of the eye. If you want to thicken it, then intensify it by stroking from the outer portion of the eye. Keep the inner corners thin lined.
- To create a winged eyeliner, extend the line from the outer edge upwards. You can also apply it on your lower eyelid but make sure it is thinner and softer than the line on the upper lid. This is one of the rules of how to apply eyeliner using a pencil eyeliner. This way, you will avoid making your eyes look awkward.
Lakme Absolute Forever Silk Pencil Eyeliner can give you the best results. If you’re new to learning how to apply eyeliner, use this product and I’m sure wouldn’t be disappointed. It is water proof, smudge proof and very convenient to use.
5. Kohl Pencil Eyeliner
These are also pencil eyeliners but what makes them different is their creaminess. It is because of their consistency that they are easy to apply and give you a rich colour around your eyes. Creating your favourite smokey eyes is very easy with this product. They can also be used on your waterline.
How to apply Kohl Pencil Eyeliners?
- Before applying the kohl pencil eyeliner, make sure you clean your face properly. Then take the liner and start drawing a line from the inner corner of your eye towards outside. Keep the liner as close as you can to the lash line. Avoid putting too much pressure on the eyeliner. This ensures you don’t apply excess amount of the product on your eyelids.
- You can use this product if you’re learning how to apply eyeliner to create a smokey eyed look. So, furthermore, use a brush to smudge the line you drew. Make sure the line gets less intense as you move up on your eyelid.
- Apply a thin line on your lower eyelid and use a brush to smudge it out too. Next, connect the upper and lower lines at the outer corner of your eye to complete your look. You can also apply the kohl eyeliner on your waterline but make sure its a thin line.
Use Lakme Absolute Kohl Ultimate Kajal and you would get an amazing experience with it. You can learn how to apply eyeliner in the best way if you use such convenient-to-use products.
6. Kajal Eyeliners
These eyeliners are neither too creamy nor dry. They work wonders for no matter whichever look you want to try. They are completely smudge proof and hence, their staying power is much more, unlike other eyeliners. If you are a beginner and you want to learn how to apply eyeliner, kajal eyeliners could be the ones you could swear by.
How to apply Kajal Eyeliners?
- Start by cleansing your face and make sure there are no impurities left on your skin.
- Take your kajal eyeliner and start by making a line from the inner corner of the eye towards the outside. With this product, you can try doing it in one stroke.
- Apply some on your water line or inner lash line. Smudge it using your finger if you want to. And then, you’re good to go.
Trust me, if you’re new to eye makeup and you’re learning how to apply eyeliner then kajal eyeliners are perfect for you. My favourite product for eye makeup in India is Lakme Eyeconic Kajal. It is oh-so-amazing!
7. Retractable Eyeliners
These eyeliners are just like the pencil eyeliners but the only difference is that they don’t require a sharpener. As a result of which it is difficult to make fine lines with this product. All you need to do is twist it and the tip pops up. In order to learn how to apply eyeliner using retractable eyeliners, you need to follow certain steps. It is important to mention that they’re very similar to usage of pencil eyeliners.
How to apply Retractable Eyeliners?
- Cleanse your face before the application.
- Take the eyeliner and apply it to the upper lid of the eye by starting from the inner portion and moving towards the outer corner.
- Smudge it using a brush, if you want to. Your look is ready.
You can use NYX Professional Makeup Retractable Eyeliner if you’re using these mechanical liners. Before using these products make sure you have enough practice on how to apply eyeliners.
How to Select a Good Eyeliner?
It is important to know how to choose a proper eyeliner that would give you a flawless look. Before learning how to apply eyeliner, it is necessary to discuss certain tips on how to select a good eyeliner.
- Firstly, you need to decide the colour of the eyeliner you want to buy. As there are different variations in colour, you need to chalk out as to which one will suit you the best depending upon the colour of your eyes and the occasion. Go for intense black if you want a neutral colour for every day. You can also buy other colours depending on the occasion you want to wear it for.
- You need to decide about how thick your eyeliner is supposed to be. That is one way to select a good eyeliner before learning how to apply eyeliner. Different eyeliners provide different thickness and hence, you need to take the correct decision.
- Are you a beginner who is learning how to apply eyeliner? In that case, I suppose you would need a lot of practice before having steady hands to apply eyeliner without making any mistakes. The best type of eyeliners for beginners are the ones which give you a proper hold and are easy to apply.
- If you want to try on a waterproof formula or not, there lies another decision. So, it turns out that before learning how to apply eyeliner, it is necessary to decide which kind of eyeliner you need to invest in.
How To Put On Eyeliner – Safest and Correct Way To Apply Eyeliner
If you already know how to apply eyeliner, you need to know whether you’re doing it right or not. There are some dos and don’ts that you share take care about.
- Don’t use eye makeup which is too old.
- Avoid sharing your eyeliners with others. That way your chances of getting infected are reduced.
- If you already have an infected eye, please postpone the process of learning how to apply eyeliner. Also, if you find a particular product irritates your eye, get rid of them as soon as possible and consult a specialist.
- Don’t let the eyeliner or other eye cosmetics get into your eye. They might contain bacteria which can infect your eye.
- Always apply eyeliners with clean hands. Also, clean your face before you apply eyeliners or other eye cosmetics.
- I know you want to try out different products after you learn how to apply eyeliner but make sure you do not use products that are too shiny or glittery.
- Ensure that your eye cosmetics are clean before you use them to know how to apply eyeliner.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Which is the best and easiest eyeliner to use?
According to me, if you’re a beginner, the best eyeliner you can use is a pencil or a kajal eyeliners. They are very easy to apply and convenient to use. You can quickly learn how to apply eyeliner, if you’re using these eyeliners.
2. How do I keep eyeliner on my waterline?
You can make use of translucent powder or vaseline as a makeup sealer. They will help your eyeliner stay for the whole day.
3. Is Tightlining safe?
Tightlining is a technique where you deposit the pigments of your eyeliner on the lashes of the upper waterline to make your eye pop. If you ask me whether it’s safe or not, I’d say no. In such cases, the risk of getting your eye infected are high. Even if you know how to apply eyeliner, make sure that cosmetics don’t get into your eyes.
4. What do you do if you get liquid eyeliner in your eye?
In that case, rinse your eyes thoroughly with clean water and make sure that you get rid of the entire makeup from your eyes. Thereafter, you can consult a specialist and use eye drops if you witness any irritation.
5. Can you use mascara as an eyeliner?
Yes. You can use mascara as an eyeliner. Use your brush to drag the mascara out of the mascara wand and use it as a cream eyeliner.
6. How do I get my eyeliner to stop smearing?
Use a waterproof eyeliner for best results and apply a primer before the application of liners. That way, the staying power increases.
7. Can you use eyeliner as a lipstick?
Yes, you can. Eyeliners can be used as amazing lip liners. Use pencil eyeliners for this purpose. You will get good results.
8. How to apply eyeliner to make small eyes look bigger?
Apply your eyeliner on your upper eyelid and thicken it on the outer portion of your eye. Apply it on your lower lash line and join the upper and lower lines by making a “V” at the outer corner of your eye. Apply mascara and then you’re good to go.
9. Which Kajal is best for daily use?
If you’re looking for intense colour and good staying power, invest in Lakme Eyeconic Kajal. It is waterproof, smudge proof and is dermatologically tested.
10. How to sharpen eyeliner pencils without breaking them?
For this purpose, store your eyeliner pencils in the refrigerator. You will notice that in doing so, your eyeliner doesn’t break when you try to sharpen it.
Hope you like what I write and it helps you in some way or the other. 🙂