Whether it is a quiz or a tough job, our brain handles it all! And, as you know, the energy utilised by our brain is about 20% of our body’s complete intake.
We thus need a nutritious diet to fulfill all the requirements. The brain food is not the food your brain eats. It is the food to meet the energy demands! Let us have a look at it!
What is brain food?
The functioning of our body requires food to meet its energy requirements, and so does our brain. Not every food item works for the brain appetite. There are specific foods which need to be taken.
The proper food intake is essential as it lowers down the chances of getting a mental disease. And, not just mental, it reduces the chances of overall dysfunction.
How? The brain controls every other body part. What if the brain itself gets damaged? How will the body parts function? Use your common sense.
The brain food nourishes your brain and keeps it fit and healthy to combat any vulnerable damage.
Best brain food
Here is a list of the best brain food you can have to keep your brain healthy!
- A Variety of Whole grains:
All your body needs is energy, and energy is obtained not directly from the bread you eat or juices your drink. The food is complex form, which needs to be broken down into simpler substances.
The food is broken down into simple units of glucose. The glucose undergoes a metabolic process to yield the currency of energy, the ATP.
Now this ATP is utilized by the brain. A very complicated process it is, no? It is not always as easy as it seems my friend!
- Fatty Acids:
These are hydrocarbon chains of carboxylic acids! Not so easy to understand, right? Well, these are just some essential compounds needed by our body to execute one of the most important actions.
Especially, our brain is in utmost need of EFA (Essential Fatty Acids).These can be obtained by the marine life. Eat some fish and gain the EPA and DHA (these are not some very big scientific terms.
These are in fact just the names of fatty acids). Salmons, Trout or sardines, try whichever you like!
Red is the colour of love! But, here, red food items contain lycopene pigment in them. This is responsible for the colour and the antioxidant properties of the food.
The tomatoes you eat are rich in antioxidants. Antioxidants are some powerful fighters, which combat the free radicals in our body.
Free radicals are tiny monsters causing damage to our body, especially brain. Other lycopenoids are beetroot, carrots etc.
- Vitamin B and Folic Acid:
It is said that in her pregnancy, the woman should eat plenty of vitamins and folic acid diet. This is beneficial for the development of baby inside her womb. The folic acid is very essential for the brain diet.
Have a note of the food items which contain these, and start nibbling some or the other thing each day.
However, make sure you take the correct food!
- Vitamin C:
Vitamin C is the saviour of human body to many diseases. It is responsible for the immunity. The more you have vitamin C, the more your brain activates to send the immune response.
Have oranges, lemons and Indian gooseberry. Try black currents as well!
- Vitamin K:
The green leafy vegetables have vitamin K. We know that you may not be so fond of having the green food everyday and in every meal. Broccoli, spinach, cabbage, cauliflower- such a boring diet it may seem.
But, you can alternate your meals with meat as well. Meat also has vitamin k. But remember; do not eat much of meat. Keep the ratio 4:1.
- Eat the mini-brain:
This heading may bring a huge brainstorm in your mind. Well, let me make it very clear. I mean to say, eat lots of WALNUTS. Walnuts look just like the brain. Just check this out!
Walnut is the ultimate brain food! Eat them raw or add them on your pudding or dessert. The nutrition a walnut provides you is wonderful!
Add the dry fruits in your list for the energy intake. The dry fruits are the best instant suppliers of energy and you can have them at frequent intervals of time. Tasty and healthy!
The list of food items is always long. Discover more with us. Read on below.
Brain food for kids
The kids are the most active and the most curious! The brain at an early age is developing each day. The development is continuous and progresses till maturity. The right food is essential for the proper brain development.
You must be familiar with the advertisements coming up on television which says that brain development is at its peak during childhood, and hence the child needs proper amount of DHA and other nutrients.
Various products say that they provide instant brain nutrition in flavoured versions. We suggest you to go with the natural food. Nature is always the best pillar to support human life.
We understand that the children are very choosy about their food, and they won’t eat your boring food easily. However, you can always twist your boring recipes into something new and enchanting!
- The aquatic world is the best for kids as it provides the omega-3 fatty acids we mentioned- EPA and DHA. The fishes are the best source of these fatty acids. You can always go with the tuna sandwiches topped with peanut butter or mayonnaise.
- Children often like the seasonings and sauces. Use the tomato sauce in your own creativity. Also, you can cut the bread in desired shape to make it attractive to the kids.
Apart from sandwiches, the salads can also be made.
- Egg treat:
Eggs are protein rich, we all know this. But, the yellowish part which many of the people dislike, yes the yolk, is rich in choline. Choline is the memory booster.
Kids usually like the white part, and separate the yolk. So how can you make the kids eat yolk?
Use the creativity like this!
Kids always find the cartoons and creativity like this very fascinating. You can accompany their meal with some yummy fruit juices and jams.
- Whole grains:
Whole grains are the best source of energy! And the best part is that kids love to eat these. You can make cakes, pastries and muffins with the flour!
The pasta and macaroni can also be made using whole grains. The delicious pancakes and biscuits also come in this category.
- Fruity berries:
The berries have a very huge number of admirers. The strawberries, blueberries, gooseberries, black berries and the cherries- the berries have a wide range of availability.
Kids love to eat these small fruity balls. Use these in raw form, or make jellies or jams. You can also use them for topping in cakes and pastries.
Apart from vitamin C which is abundant in berries, there are minerals as well. The seeds also are significant for the development of brain.
You can always give your children some beans in a salad. Beans are one of the good memory boosters. They are really popular in vegetarians.
They do not increase the fat content of the body, and it has been observed that the kidney beans reduce the risk of heart disease.
- Dairy products:
Milk and its products are always a must in a child’s diet. The mothers are very fond of giving their children a dairy diet, and the children are talented enough to escape from this situation.
Kids of today’s modern world are too smart to present you with a number of excuses.
Add some flavours to the milk and its products. Twists and turns are always fun to experiment with. And, they are successful on kids too. Try them out!
Brain food for studying
The main task of the brain is to coordinate everything. It remembers and stores the memory deep inside. In your learning period, your brain needs to be perfectly balanced so that it is able to focus and learn properly. And the brain food hence becomes essential again.
- If you are a student or have been a student once, then you must remember those nights you used to study for exams and your mother used to bring you a glass full of milk.
She used to say that it will help you to learn more! Milk has always been our well-wisher. It boosts our brain capacity and builds it stronger. Add some cashews or almonds to your milk.
- Who knew chocolates can be so beneficial? They increase mental alertness and maintain the regular supply of blood to the brain. So people, prepare for the chocolate treat this exam time!
- Have the leafy green vegetables and the whole grain diet. This is compulsory.
- Have dry fruits in your diet. Your brain capacity will enhance to a huge extent. People usually ask questions like “we are taking the almonds continuously, and we are having a proper brain diet.
But why don’t we become smarter and intelligent?” This is for those people- your brain development is definitely enhancing. You just cannot see it with your naked eye.
Almonds provide energy and essential brain oils. They are not magic beans that will make you intelligent in a blink of an eye.
- Coffee and tea triggers your brain power and you remain active the whole day. Right? The caffeine in these beverages helps the brain to become more efficient. At the time of study, these are usually preferred.
Brain food snacks
Snacks are the best option to obtain proper nutrition as they are light and can be taken easily between major meals. People opt for snacks rather than heavy meals.
Also, it has been said that something should be eaten with regular intervals. Eat little but with good frequency.
- Mix yoghurt with the berries. Have them sliced or have them grinded finely into the yoghurt. Frozen yoghurts are healthy as well as tasty.
- You have the nuts? Almonds and some cashews? Mix them with the edible seeds, and cook up your own snack by either frying it or boiling it. Top up with some seasonings.
- Sandwiches with tuna or salmons and some mayonnaise and ketchup. A perfect snack, right?
- You can also have some nachos or whole grain food items in bakery category. Have them with cream or cheesy dip.
- Keep on nibbling some walnuts. Well, nowadays some chocolates are also made which have the nut fillings. Both chocolate and nuts are beneficial for your brain.
- Bananas have the potassium. This is beneficial in enhancing brain capacity and boost memory.
Brain food for exams
Exams bring with them some horror and some thrill. You have to study, you have to learn and score good enough. The stress levels have been observed to rise during examination time. You need to be prepared mentally as well as physically to combat this “tough” time.
You will be able to perform better if you are stress free and confident. The confidence comes from within. Also, the more peacefully you study, the more it is fruitful. Do not rush with cramming. And, do not exist upon coffee and tea, or energy drinks.
A diet for brain is essential to maintain your focus and concentration. Begin from now onwards for your upcoming examinations. Have antioxidant rich foods around you. Surround yourself with the green leafy vegetables and the grains. Have plenty of fruits and do not forget the dairy products.
- Have green leafy vegetables. They are rich in vitamins and minerals essential for the brain.
- The fruits such as berries and oranges are rich in vitamin C. They are crucial for brain health.
- Folic acid found in fishes and sea food is good for brain development.
- Have dry fruits at your side. They release plenty of energy when eaten.
- Do not miss out on essential oils. Almond oil and coconut oil is good for brain health.
- Dairy products are always the best.
- Eggs and oats are the protein rich food items. Add them as well in your daily plan.
However it is to be noted that on exam day, do not eat those food items which take time to digest. For example, potatoes, cakes, pastries etc.
Food for brain development
Not every child is a genius. But, the brain development is necessary for every child. In fact, your child need not be a genius to handle day to day activities.
You can work upon the fundamental brain development and its skills. Food affects the development in every way! Do you know why some children with malnutrition suffer from poor mental health as well?
The food for brain development is given importance since the time when a baby is in the womb. The pregnant woman ensures the intake of vitamin B and folic acid for the proper development of brain of her child.
When the child takes birth, he or she is given the proper nutrients so that he/she stays immune and develops in an appropriate way.
You can give your child some fruit diet, full of antioxidants and the legumes to provide the holistic development of his/her brain. Eggs, meat and fish are always a good option as we have mentioned before also.
Walnuts are said to be the ultimate source of food for brain development. Dry fruits and nuts are in this category as well.
Brain food for memory
There is nothing additional in this category than we have mentioned before. Briefly, let’s check these items once again.
- Whole grains
- Green leafy vegetables
- Fruits, dominantly berries
- Dairy products
And if you know a little extra, you can always share with us. We would be happy to hear from you.
Brain food recipes
We have mentioned a variety of food items above. Let us tell you about some of them briefly.
- A sandwich is the best snack a child and an adult, both like to eat.
- It is very simple and easy to make.
- Just collect the ingredients and make sure you buy the best and fresh.
- Select the bread made of whole grains Do not go with the white bread.
- You can cut the bread slices in any way. Go for something creative. Star shaped cutters or the heart shaped cutters are available in the market. If you do not have the cutters, you can always go for the simple hand-free style with the knife.
- If you are a vegetarian, you can have a potato filling or the fully salad If you are comfortable eating fishes, then go for salmons or tuna fish filling.
- You can always add the layers of green leafy vegetables. Cauliflower serves the purpose the best.
- Use seasonings and sauces. Mayonnaise or tomato ketchup, choice is all yours.
Chocolate blueberry smoothie
- This is the best chilling brain booster.
- You need to have the ingredients by your side.
- The blueberries, cocoa powder, milk; cinnamon and vanilla extract is all you need.
- Have some ice or you can use the frozen blueberries.
- Put all the ingredients in a blender with a pinch of sugar. I feel you all must we wise enough to understand the proportions of each ingredient.
- Blend or mix it thoroughly.
- Pour the mix in glasses and add the blueberries as a topping. You can try your own variations in toppings.
You can always make smoothies with any berry. Try making your own version!
- Egg treat:
- Eggs are the most popular food items in protein rich diets.
- Everyone knows how to make eggs. Eat them boiled or make their omelette, the variations vary from location to location.
- Add the spices and some veggies. Flaunt your own creative recipe with us!
Have soups made from lycopenoids, for example, carrots and tomatoes. Also, try the vegetable soup. Cream it up and sip!
Brain food breakfast
One should eat a healthy breakfast. Why? It is said that a breakfast determines the pace of your activities in the whole day. If you have a healthy breakfast, you are going to have a very pleasant day! We have a few breakfast suggestions for you, so that your brain remains active all day and works at its best.
Eggs are the best breakfast meals. Make omelettes, try boiled eggs or make any dish using the eggs. The proteins of an egg will somehow travel to you when you eat them up in any form.
Oat meals are considered one of the healthiest breakfasts. They are made of whole grains. And, they are beneficial for the body! Oats used to be boring. But now the market has launched a variety of flavours in this category. Oats if eaten with milk can be added on by strawberries or cherries. You can eat oats in spicy form as well.
Green leafy veggies and the boiled carrots make a good salad to be served in the morning. You can have fish in the salad as well. The salads can also be made of nuts.
Milk and dairy products have the efficiency to provide your brain what it needs in the morning. You can always have caffeine added, in some or the other way.
Eat them sliced or drink them up. Have our own variations in eating these yummy foods!
Eat healthy and stay healthy. All the best!