What is brain health?
Do you know how much work our brain does? Do you how complex it is to control all the different organs and monitor their functions? This is almost like handling a variety of people in huge numbers under one roof, in a single room.
Observe yourself for a day and judge whether you have a good brain health. You went into the room to take something and forgot at that instant.
You opened the refrigerator but couldn’t recall what were you supposed to take from it? You know that person very well, but you miss out on calling their correct name. This entire malfunction is happening, but why?
The work a brain does is very much significant and this makes the necessity of keeping the brain healthy most significant! A healthy brain is more efficient and smart at work. It is better at handling the day to day activities.
A dull brain is prone to various health problems. If the brain itself won’t work efficiently then how will it make the functioning of other organs in a proper way? Here is a guide to improve your brain health!
How to improve brain health?
Brain health is in our control. If we follow a set of rules and guidelines, we can definitely improve our brain health.
Brain health is all about improving the brain function by adopting a variety of methods.
There need not be only physical exercises to improve brain health. What stimulates your brain comes under the exercise category. You can always exercise for your brain in a creative manner.
Recreational activities and fun brain teasers are interesting modes. Even, the riddles, puzzles and some games give your brain a thorough exercise.
Each morning you can find some brain activity in the newspaper as well. Many of you must be solving crosswords and Sudoku daily. This small exercise can give your brain a push to work better and faster.
Some daily activities such as the ones which include coordination of organs will also improve the brain strength.
- Play with ball
A physical exercise is always good for the coordination tasks. Have a football or a basketball, and play with it as you like. Do you know some of the tricks? Why don’t you try them out!
Swing the ball back and forth, have skittles at the front or try to score the baskets. Govern your own play. This will keep your brain in an active state and improve its health. Plus, you will enjoy!
Who can forget the food! The energy we use is derived from the food only. Brain has its own requirements and we should abide by it!
We should eat essential fatty acids such as omega-3 fatty acids. EPA and DHA are given much importance in brain health. Even, folic acid intake is necessary.
Do not worry; these acids are not those chemical acids! They are the molecules of nutrients found in food items. So eat food and stay healthy.
- Cheerful and happy state of mind
Try to remain as happy and optimistic as you can. A stress free and cheerful life is the best for the prefect brain health. It is very clear that when you are stressed, you are not able to work properly and you often lose concentration.
You are not able to completely focus on your task as things are creating a pressure in your head. Read books to build optimism and do not let the negative thoughts to book a room in your head.
- Yoga and meditation
Yoga and meditation will help you achieve a silent and peaceful mind, which will be able to focus better and work better.
Interact with people and communicate well. Create a cheerful atmosphere around yourself. Stay happy and make others happy as well. Do something progressive and help people. A happy-go-lucky person has an improved brain health!
Brain health supplements
Dictionary says – Supplements are “a thing added to something else in order to complete or enhance It.” Nutritional quality of an object is enhanced with the supplements.
The supplements are the direct way of taking the nutrients in. Usually the intake of supplements is avoided as the natural forms are considered better. But, supplements are really not that much harmful.
Some medical officers suggest that correct supplements taken in correct amount are of no harm. Hence, there are a variety of brain supplements as well which can be taken in order to improve the brain health.
The supplement you are going to take will depend on the main area of improvement that is whether you want to boost your memory or increase the focus power? Or you wish to take supplements in order to combat a disease?
Here we have mentioned a few common ones.
Docosa-hexa-enoic acid is the main nutrient. It is initially an omega-3 fatty acid which is essential for the brain development. It is responsible for the development of the cortex of brain, which holds the main functions as listening, speech etc. It is also said to improve the nerve cell communication.
It is a compound which favours brain development. It keeps the regular flow of blood to the brain and help build cell membranes in a healthy manner. Immense energy is provided by citicoline which keeps the brain active.
This is a nutrient found in the commonly found spice, turmeric. It plays a vital role in keeping the body healthy. It carries antioxidant properties which are helpful in combating the free radicals, hence keeping the brain healthy. Curcumin is also an antidepressant and lowers the stress factor. It is found to relief the mental diseases such as Alzheimer and OCD (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder).
As clear by the name itself, it is one of the important phospholipids. It is a bio-molecule, which is very beneficial in boosting brain memory. It also helps in increasing concentration and improves learning capacity of the brain. The most important fact, it is good for all age groups.
A study says that it is one of the most popular supplements used by students to prepare for their exams.
Foods for brain health
Apart from the supplements, the natural forms are always preferred. Why take supplements when the nature is already supporting you?
- Take antioxidant rich diet. Have lots of tomatoes and carrots in your diet.
- Do not forget to take the green leafy vegetables. All green is good for the brain!
- Who loves berries here? I do. Whether strawberries or blueberries or gooseberries, they are the perfect option to have a healthy brain.
- Eat lots of dry fruits and nuts. Almonds and walnuts are considered to act as brain tonic. Have them in bakery version or mixed with milk.
- Dairy products are healthy as well as delicious. The amount of protein it provides is unmatchable.
- Chocolates are the brain activators. Eat them but do not have them in excess. Otherwise, your clean white teeth would have to suffer!
Brain health vitamins
There are so many vitamins when it comes to health care. But, what a brain needs is limited to a few of them.
- Vitamin C hits the list from the top!
Vitamin C is the vitamin everyone loves. It is one of those essential vitamins which our body cannot make and cannot store for too long. How bad, no? That’s why a constant supply of vitamin C is needed to ensure the immunity of our body.
Vitamin C helps in keeping our body safe from any infectious disease. It is also used as antihistamine to combat the allergy symptoms.
Besides, it improves the neurotransmitters’ efficiency, by producing more of these chemicals. It is also believed to improve IQ and make you smart. You may be able to learn more and focus in a better way.
Vitamin C has anti-ageing effects as well. It won’t let your brain age and degenerate so soon.
So, when are you taking the fruits and vegetables rich in vitamin C? Start from now onwards!
- Vitamin D
It is referred as the “Sunshine Vitamin”. It is the vitamin our body can produce. How? In presence of sunlight. Expose your skin to the sunlight and this vitamin gets produced.
A pregnant lady needs to take vitamin D for proper brain development of her child. Even the children need vitamin D for the holistic development.
The intake of this vitamin helps in keeping brain off from diseases such as Dementia, Alzheimer etc. It also makes the memory strong. Fish oils have abundant of vitamin D.
- Vitamin B complexes
Vitamin B complexes are considered to rejuvenate the inner self and keep your soul alive. You feel happy and stress free. It has numerous benefits for brain that once you get to know all of these; you would fall in love with this vitamin.
It slows down brain aging and keeps you out of reach of stress and depression. You tend to live longer!
You must have heard that folic acid is necessary for brain development. It actually is vitamin B9. It doesn’t let the mental diseases approach you and you enjoy your brain health for longer period of time.
Poor memory accounts to the deficiency of vitamin B12. Doctors often tell you to take vitamin B complex! You can find these vitamins in meat, fish, egg and poultry items.
Brain health tips
Remember even a small activity can boost your brain power!
- Exercise, and give priority to aerobic exercise.
- Did you know that even dancing can help in improving brain health? The way you coordinate your moves while dancing helps in increasing the brain power.
- Listen to music! A peaceful music can help you reach low levels of stress. This will increase the functioning of brain.
- It is proven from the studies that playing golf helps in improving brain function. Sensors become charged up and function in a better way.
- Yoga and meditate. This will help you bring your focus entirely at a single point.
- Sleep well. Do not jumble up with the sleeping and waking up time. Sleep early and rise early. A sound sleep will make you perform better.
- Have some sips of coffee or tea in between your working hours.
- Try to exercise early morning in the lap of nature. Fresh air will bring optimism in your mind and your brain will get sufficient amount of fresh oxygen.
- Have positive communications with people. Interact with them and share some happiness.
- Avoid stress in relationships and build healthy bonds with people.
- Laugh and make others laugh!
- Play games and do something creative in leisure time. Give your brain some respite from the monotony.
- Drink plenty of water and keep your brain hydrated. You must know that major portion of the brain is fluid. Hence, even a slight imbalance in water content can cause mental problems.
- Eat healthy diet full of omega-3 fatty acids and other vitamins.
- Nuts and seeds are good source of energy.
- Eat chocolate. But, not too much.
- Learn something new such as play an instrument. Learning an instrument has been proven to increase brain power and smartness. Matching the beats and syncing the chords of a guitar is a tough job!
- Think positive!
Exercises for brain health
Brain, though internally located, can be externally made healthier.
- Exercising includes walking and jogging. Take a trip around your neighbourhood in the morning with the fresh breeze around. Fresh air will reach your brain and your cardiac health will improve which in turn will improve the brain health.
- Aerobics are good for brain health. They include aerobic exercises with good music! Coordinate your moves with the music and get improved mental health.
- Circuit training is the best workout. Different muscles are engaged at different time phases in this continuous workout. Coordination is the key here as well!
- Apart from the physical exercise, you can practice maths equations and puzzles as well.
- Learn a new sport!
Scanning the groceries and other household kitchen items can also be a good exercise for brain!
Best nutrients for brain health
Nutrients include everything that comes in your food! We have mentioned the specific vitamins above as well. Take your time to read them once again!
Brain health pills
With so many stress problems in today’s hustle and bustle of city life, people find their brain efficiency going down. They want to make their brain go 100% intelligent and smart to overcome all their issues.
Not everyone can depend on natural ways as they take time. You need to constantly eat the healthy food for months to make your body conditioned. Hence, people being quick and impatient need the supplements to make their work go faster.
Supplements are available in a huge variety, with so much competition globally. One remarks itself as the best, and the other remarks itself as the most promising one.
Which one to choose? This question again gives a brainstorm. We suggest you that you go for the most trusted companies and carefully check the compositions. Ensure what you take is good for you!
Brain health games
Games can help the brain to come back to life from its constant phase. There are a wide range of games which you can play and enjoy as well.
If opting for outdoor games, you can always go for recreational sports and adventures.
If indoor, then solve the Sudoku and crosswords. Solve the puzzles and get the way out of mazes. Find the differences between the two images and match the similar objects.
Spot the odd one out and fit the proper word in blank spaces. The game world is waiting for you to step in!
Brain health registry
Brain Health Registry is an online registry. If you are over 18 years old and you have interest in participating in the research work, then you can apply and register yourself at the main site.
No, you don’t have to do the research work. You are just going to be a part of the research.
You have to fill the details online, providing your basic details and other requirements. You have to complete the survey, which is a questionnaire that will be provided to you.
You have to complete about 2-3 of such questionnaire frequently. It will be about your lifestyle and your brain health.
The answers you give will be a part of the research, which will help the researchers to study more about treatments of Alzheimer, Parkinson’s disease and other mental problems.
You will be asked to check back in frequently in three to six months. This will help them to study the changes over the period of time.
Join hands for a noble cause! It won’t cost you anything but time and a little data of the internet.