We have explained here in detail about “Cold Pressed Coconut Oil”, its benefits and the procedure of making it at home. Cold pressed Coconut oil is highly beneficial for skin and hair too. You must definitely read this piece of information about cold pressed coconut oil.
Coconut Oil is categorized under “Superfoods”. No doubt! It has many health benefits. Coconut oil can be used in many forms like refined coconut oil, unrefined coconut oil, expeller coconut oil, cold pressed coconut oil, etc.
What is Cold Pressed Coconut Oil?
Mechanically when a coconut oil is pressed, it is known as Cold pressed coconut oil. High temperatures are required for pressing coconut oil. Temperatures required for coconut oil cold pressing never exceeds 120 degrees Fahrenheit.
Cold Pressed Virgin Coconut Oil
Cold pressed coconut oil is obtained by pressing virgin or organic coconut oil and thus it produces a cold pressed coconut oil with high quality.
Coconut oil which is cold pressed is used both internally and topically. It is used as a health supplement product, skin and hair care product, cooking, baking. Cold pressed coconut oil is also used as health product for cats and dogs.
Cold pressed virgin oil is more costly than normally refined oils and it is also healthier than other oils.
How to Make Cold Pressed Coconut Oil at Home?
Raw coconut is needed to make cold pressed coconut oil. There are many different ways to form cold pressed coconut oil. The one which is explained below is simple and doesn’t require much ingredients.
- Extract out the meat from the coconut to form cold pressed coconut oil.
- Grate it into small pieces to extract out the milk from it.
- Blend it well. Add little amount of water so that it can blend well.
- Wash and squeeze out all the blended coconut from the jar. Add water if required.
- Filter the blended product.
- Cover the container and keep it aside for 24 hours.
- After 24 hours the upper will become cake like, remove it out with spatula carefully.
- Drain out all the water till it removes out.
- Mix it well till it forms creamy. Remove coconut milk at the time of mixing.
- Creamy coconut oil is ready. Refrigerate it.
- It will require 3 days to form a perfect creamy cold pressed coconut oil.
Other then this you must also learn to make various kinds of homemade hair oils for various conditions to boost your hair growth.
Cold Pressed Coconut Oil Benefits
Coconut oil is classified under “Superfoods”. Cold pressed coconut oil has many positive benefits on health.Coconut is a hard shell, brown hairy fruit containing white meat inside it.
It is rich in fat. Coconut oil is effective on weight loss, antimicrobial agent, cardiovascular disease and many other health benefits.
Cold Pressed Coconut Oil Benefits in Weight loss:
Unlike other vegetables oils example olive oil is in form of long-chain triglycerides. Coconut oil is in form of medium-chain triglycerides. Medium-chain triglycerides are used as an energy source than long-chain triglycerides.
The MCT consumption resulted in about 1.7 kilograms more fat loss than olive oil. A study published in the July 2009 issue of “Lipids” found that 12 weeks of coconut oil consumption in women promoted significantly more fat loss in the abdominal area, compared to soybean oil.
Cold Pressed Coconut Oil Benefits in Cardiovascular Disease
The results indicated that coconut oil intake significantly increased the High Density Level. “The Journal of Nutrition” discovered that coconut oil rich diet lowered the levels of blood fibrinogen and lipoprotein, the markers of heart attack risk.
Cold Pressed Coconut Oil have Antimicrobial Properties
Coconut oil contains 50% lauric acid and human body converts this acid into monolaurin, a compound with potent antimicrobial properties. Monolaurin is effective against measles, AIDS, influenza and several other viruses.
Expeller Pressed Vs. Cold Pressed Coconut Oil
Expeller pressed oil is processed at higher temperatures, it has less nutrition value. However, expeller pressed coconut oil still retains many properties that is beneficial for hair.Biggest difference between cold pressed and expeller pressed coconut oil is that expeller pressed oil is processed at high temperatures. Cold pressed oil is processed on 120 degrees, never more than it. Inspire of expeller pressed oil, cold pressed oil is always beneficial.
Cold Pressed Coconut Oil Benefits for Hair
We all know being hydrated is root solution of all the problems. Yes! water is necessary for our body. And not enough water in our body will cause hair fall, hair brittle, etc. Eating healthy and drinking enough water is all you need.
Coconut oil is not only an antimicrobial and antifungal but also it has properties which increases hair growth.
Other then Cold pressed coconut oil, nowadays people are highly recommending Indulekha Bringha Hair Oil for hair growth and regrowth.
Methods of using cold pressed coconut oil for hair.
- As a conditioner: Coconut oil is free of all the chemicals and is natural. Coconut oil nourishes hair roots and follicles. It prevents hair fall and hair damage. Coconut oil is used as conditioner which smooths the hair roots. Leave-in conditioners are best to use after washing hair. Along with this you must also eat the best food for hair growth.
- As a Hair Growth Supplement: Coconut oil has hair growing properties. Lauric acid in coconut oil improves the health of hair by penetrating the shaft of hair. Foods containing omega-3 fatty acids like pumpkin, flax seeds, etc. improves hair growth.
- As a Dandruff Treatment: Dandruff caused by fungal infections from Malassezia furfur, coconut oil fights this fungal infections and prevent the scalp from itchiness and dryness.
- As a Detangler: Cold pressed coconut oil is a versatile oil which can be used for skin as well as hair. It can be used as a styling tool for hair. Coconut oil tames the frizziness of the hair and the static charge on hair. It act as a fighter for frizziness of the hair. Coconut oil detangles hair.
- As a Treatment for Lice: Researchers found that coconut oil can also prevent lices in hair. Combination of anise spray and coconut oil will help preventing lice. For treating lices, mix coconut oil and ylang ylang, anise or tea tree oil. Massage the mixture onto the scalp and pull it through the ends of hair.
Cover it with the shower cap. Keep it for sometimes and comb it with fine tooth comb.
Cold Pressed Coconut Oil Benefits for Skin
Coconut oil works for all skin types. If your skin overproduced oil, applying nourishing oils, it helps exfoliate skin because it breaks up and dissolves excess oil without striping the skin.
Dry skin occurs when our skin lacks appropriate oil, it results in rough, dry or flaky skin. Studies show that cold coconut pressed oil is beneficial for skin because it works as moisturizer.
It also help to reduce bacteria which is associated with acne, infections and other skin conditions.
Organic Cold Pressed Coconut Oil
Excellent oil for cooking as well as for skin care. It also helps in functioning of thyroid, endocrine systems and increases the body’s metabolic rate.
Benefits of Organic Cold Pressed Coconut Oil
- Rich Nutrients – coconut oil play vital roles in healthy function of heart, brain, bone, immune and endocrine systems by its saturated fats.
- Boosting of Immune System – Lauric Acid especially is anti fungal. It creates a hostile environment for viruses.
- Improvement of Digestion – Stomach acid that can be decrease by destroying bad bacteria and candida. It also reduces ulcerative colitis and stomach ulcers.
- Improves Topical Skin Problems – it is wonderful as a moisturizer, cleanser, and sun screen. Skin disorders can be treated by coconut oil.
- Prevents Tooth Decay & Gum Disease – An excellent toothpaste with turmeric and peppermint oil for healthy white teeth. It cleanse the bacteria of mouth and help heal periodontal disease.
- Protects the Liver & Infection – It works as a natural antibiotic by disrupting the lipid coating on bacteria.
- Reduces Arthritis – Antioxidants present in virgin coconut oil reduces inflammation and helps arthritis with more effectively than medications.
Extra Virgin Cold Pressed Coconut Oil
Extra virgin cold pressed coconut oil has many skin and hair benefits. It is a great body moisturizer, skin becomes smooth and evenly textured. Extra virgin cold pressed coconut oil is effective in conditioning and applied before washing skin or hair.
Dry or sensitive, rough scalp can be soothe and lustre can be given to damaged hair. It is highly used as baby massages. Extra virgin coconut oil is cold pressed( which is not heated) and is organic and 100% pure.
Benefits of Extra Virgin Cold Pressed Coconut Oil
- Pure and organic.
- Cold pressed.
- Conditioning of damaged hair.
- Soothes skin.
- Absorbs fast.
Cold Pressed Coconut Oil VS Unrefined Coconut Oil
Rich flavor of coconut oil is present in an unrefined coconut oil. Unrefined oils has a high amount of nutrients (like antioxidants, vitamins and proteins) in it and is minimally processed.
Cold pressed coconut oil made by pressing the coconut meat at not more than 120 degrees Fahrenheit. High amount of nutrients can be preserved by this method.
Is Cold Pressed Coconut Oil Good for You?
Cold-pressed oil is primarily used for cooking. Olive oil, coconut oil, sunflower oil, and canola oil; extraction can be done using cold pressed methods.
Almond oil, jojoba oil, rosehip seeds and many other oils are used in aromatherapy and as cosmetic products. Home made oils can also be used for benefits like homemade onion oil, etc.
Is Cold Pressed Coconut Oil Unrefined?
Unrefined coconut oil is labelled as “Virgin” or “Extra-virgin”. And there is not any much difference in extra virgin and virgin coconut oil. These oils are made from pressing of raw and fresh coconut oil, eliminating chemicals from it.
Refined coconut oil is odorless and tasteless. Refined coconut oil is processed coconut oil. Coconut oil get bleaches and deodorizes and is partially hydrogenated and sometimes hydrogenated.
In general and grocery stores, usually refined oils is present until and unless it is specified on label. Refined coconut oil offers less health benefits than that of the raw and fresh coconut oil which is unrefined.
Difference Between Cold Pressed and Extra Virgin Coconut Oil
They only differ in their time of pressing to extracting out of oil. Raw, pure, virgin and extra virgin are all one and differ in their pressing time. Extra virgin has a beautiful and fragrant taste and is obtained by only first pressing.
Cold pressed are mostly raw and virgin oils. Coconut oil which is not refined will do not taste like coconut. Extra virgin is so-called because it is less processed and minimal extraction that is without chemicals.
Health Benefits of Cold Pressed Coconut Oil
Cold pressed coconut oil is pack full of health benefits. It has many properties and health benefits like antioxidant effect, antimicrobial, antibacterial and is a medium-chain fatty acids (MCFs) like caprylic acid, capric acid and lauric acid.
It has vitamins like iron, vitamin E and vitamin K. Cold pressed coconut oil helps in boosting of the immune system and helps in fighting several diseases like HIV, cancer, Alzheimer’s, etc.
Health Benefits of Cold Pressed Coconut Oil :
- Stimulation of Thyroid: As discussed before, coconut oil is a medium-chain fatty acids thus it helps in stimulation of metabolism and it provides energy.
- Weight loss: This medium-chain fatty acids coconut oil actually helps in weight loss though cold pressed coconut oil is a fat.
They do not circulates in the stream of blood but are converted into energy by sending to the liver. Thus they does not get store in as fat in the body.
- Decreases cholesterol: Lauric acid in coconut oil helps in lowering cholesterol and it protects heart.
- Diabetes check: Controlling sugar in diabetic patient is also the work of cold pressed coconut oil. It does not produces a spike in insulin in the bloodstream of the body.
- Prevention of heart diseases: Researches have found people in the Pacific Islands had 30-60% reduction in heart diseases by the use of coconut oil.
- Immune system booster: Lauric acid present in the cold pressed coconut oil is a nutrient that supports and boost immune system of the body.
- Malabsorption diseases: Coconut oil when combined with vitamin E helps in gastrointestinal malabsorption diseases.
The next highly recommended article for you : Homemade Onion Oil with its benefits & Uses.
You may also buy it amazon here.