Ocular rosacea is a dermatological condition, in which eyes are mainly affected by rosacea. Or, in simple words, just to understand it well, we can say that when the acne rosacea spreads up to the eyes along with the other parts of the face then you can call it ocular rosacea.
Causes of Ocular rosacea
The cause of ocular rosacea is exactly not known. It is assumed that local inflammation can be one of its causes. Many studies have been carried out to find the exact causes of ocular rosacea but till now, the truth is hidden. Its exact causes are not known but the inherent defects in our body’s immunity and the vaso-regulatory processes of body.
Symptoms of ocular rosacea
Ocular rosacea doesn’t have specific symptoms but the one’s which are commonly seen are redness, tearing, sensation of burning, dry eyes and frequent eye infections. Patient may feel the presence of some foreign particles in eye.
Ocular rosacea diagnosis
The diagnosis of ocular rosacea is done clinically, you yourself can’t found out whether you are suffering from ocular rosacea or not. If somebody suffers from ocular rosacea than you can just make an assumption of its presence in case other symptoms like skin infection near eyes also persists.
The best way to visit an eye-specialist in any case of infection related to your eyes. Both dermatology and ophthalmology visits are necessary to get its diagnosed and treat as well.
Ocular rosacea Treatment
The main focus of treatment in ocular rosacea is to prevent its occurrence and control its symptoms instead of its cure. But when the condition is critical, then various medicines are used. Medical treatment for ocular rosacea includes the use of antibiotics. Tetracycline is a commonly known antibiotic prescribed as ocular rosacea treatment.
Tetracycline helps reducing the bacteria responsible for this condition. Metronidozole, erythromycin, and clindamycin are other optional antibiotics available. In order to treat the inflammation, topical steroids are also generally prescribed by the specialists. Eyelid scrubs should also be prepared to clear the clogging debris from the eyelids.
Retinoids are also found effective for the reduction of inflammatory lesions during ocular rosacea.
Other options s include includes electrosurgical loop, intense pulsed light therapy and laser treatment for rosacea.
Natural Treatment for ocular rosacea
Natural treatments may not have instant effect on diseases or conditions but they are really effective in long run. Naturally, there exist many ingredients in our homes which have medicinal use.
The most common natural treatments are:
- Use of damp green tea bags- You can apply them on the affected area. It would help you in easing the itching and reduction of inflammation. It also helps reducing the severe dryness of eyelids.
- Replace your chemical based face washes with herbal face wash with natural ingredients to avoid skin irritation.
- Protect your eyes by wearing sunglasses. It not only saves your eyes from sunrays but also acts as a shield for dust smoke to enter your eyes and cause irritation.
- Keeping the temperature of your room at lower level would also help you fighting it as high temperature leads to increased irritation.
- Applying petroleum jelly on dry area would help you to maintain the moisture of your skin around the eyes. Vaseline is another alternate to petroleum jelly to be applied on your facial skin during ocular rosacea.
- Most of the times while using shampoo, it rolls down to your face, and especially it enters your eyes and causes heavy irritation. So when you are on the verge of ocular rosacea, you should start using mild shampoos or so called herbal shampoos for that matter.
- Avoid riding your bike or any other two-wheeler at high speed. As the more wind enters your eyes even when you are wearing a helmet. This wind enters your eyes carrying the debris of bacteria and dirt which ultimately results in irritation.
- Drink plenty of water to keep your skin hydrated.
- Lifestyle and diet has a lot to do with this condition. So, if you want to get rid of this particular type of rosacea then you need to keep the track of your diet properly and live a healthy lifestyle. For more details about rosacea diet, you must read rosacea diet to go into the details.
Ocular Rosacea in children
Although it is very rare in children but then also many children become the victim of this condition. If any child suffers from ocular rosacea then one should be very cautious about its treatment. The dosage of antibiotics available for this disease may hamper the growth of the child when taken orally.
You should be more focussed on eye ointments and maintaining the proper hygiene of eyelids in this condition. Tell your child to avoid contact of anything with eyes, especially his hands and fingers as they may be infectious and flare up the rosacea further.
Who is more prone to ocular rosacea
People suffering from acne rosacea have more chances to get this infection. It is more common to the people of age of around 40-50 years. Light skinned people are considered to be more prone to ocular rosacea
Diet in ocular rosacea
You should avoid all such foods which can trigger it or may flare the condition. These avoidable stuffs include hot and spicy food, liquor, unhealthy fats, dairy products and highly processed foods. You should increase more fibrous diet and eat lots of fruits and vegetables.
Other Tips to remember
- People should avoid the direct sunlight, as it may increase the symptoms of the condition and further may worsen the condition of the patient.
- Consult dermatologist as well as ophthalmologist in case of ocular rosacea.
- As it’s a chronic condition that’s why you need to have a lot of patience, so don’t be in hurry to go through unnecessary treatments, which will be wastage of time and money too.
- Always consult your doctor before taking any treatment for it.
- You should focus more on prevention rather than cure.
- You may also try some natural ways to treat ocular rosacea, as the nature has the solution of every problem.
Always wear sunglasses before you leave home for any outdoor activity.
Veer is not only a blogger, he is a software engineer, a good poet, well known cook, a dietitian, a sportsman, a good swimmer, a forex trader, a reader and a good friend. He appreciate music like anything and loves to travel around the world. His next destination is Mauritius where he wants to go for his honeymoon with his loving better half.
For being in touch with Virendra Singh alias 'Veer' you may follow him on facebook.
"Wish you good health and happy future."
With warm regards.
Latest posts by Virendra Singh (see all)
- Zika Virus Outbreak – Symptoms – Prevention – Diagnosis & Treatment - 14/08/2016
- Rosacea Diet – What You Must Eat & Avoid to Recover - 06/08/2016
- Laser Treatment for Rosacea - 06/08/2016