If we start anything new, we have to ready to face both positive and negative aspects of it which we can not ignore. Same in research, a scientist has to face it both aspects.
In embryonic stem cell research, a cell can cure a disease but it also kills an embryo that leads to unstoppable issue. We may easily find both pros and cons of embryonic stem cell research.
Embryonic stem cell research pros:
- Embryonic stem cells can be differentiate into specialized cell type that helps researchers in finding the cause of genetic disease such as spinal cord injury, arthritis, Alzheimer, stroke, blindness, hearing loss etc. and also find ways for curbing these diseases.
- These embryonic stem cells also help in curing immune system defects.
- These cells can be preserved for treating future injuries.
- Embryonic stem cells have the potential to differentiate into any specialized cells. This pluripotency of the cells help scientists in investigating disease in different body organs.
- Potential of differentiation in these embryonic stem cells is greater than the somatic cell or adult stem cells.
- Extraction of these cells is easier than the adult stem cells.
- There is a chance of impurity in the adult stem cells but these embryonic stem cells are totally free from impurity that may give clear results in the research.
- Using these pure embryonic stem cells in the treatment also ensures you the safety of the treatment.
- These cells can also be used for repairing damage cells.
- Research on these cells may be a great discovery in the field of science.
- Number of copies of these cells can be formed in the laboratory.
- By using these embryonic stem cells for regeneration or differentiation, there is no requirement of organ transplantation.
Embryonic stem cell research cons:
- Embryonic stem cells are extracted from the embryo by dissecting it. Without dissecting an embryo these cells can not be extracted .And destroying an embryo makes this research totally unethical.
- It is believed that life begins within an embryo so dissecting an embryo is killing or destroying a life.
- Embryonic stem cells are not clearly defined because some scientist used pluripotent term for these cells which means that these cells can not form the trophoblast the outer layer of cells in blastocyst but it is found that these cells can formed the layer when cultured in laboratory.
- Embryonic stem cells research is same as cloning because it also forms the same copy of the cell. But cloning is also in controversy because through the reproductive cloning, a new organism can be produce having the same genetic material of the host.
- Most of the ethicist, policy makers are not in favor of destroying embryo for research.
- Embryonic stem cells are not easily accepted by the patient’s body whereas there is less chance of rejection in adult stem cells.
- Indefinite growth of these cells may also caused tumor in the patient.
- Some people thinks that this embryonic stem cells research can save an existing life by destroying immature embryo but it seems totally unethical to destroy a life for saving anyone.
Embryonic stem cells research facts
There are various facts about the embryonic stem cell research which you should know. Some people think that an embryo is not a complete human being so we can use these embryonic stem cells for research purpose. That is only the immature embryo.
IVF technique is widely used for this purpose. Even some person also thinks that killing an embryo made by IVF is intentionally done by the scientists.
Or we can say embryos are intentionally aborted for deriving embryonic stem cells. In 2009, National Institute of Health set some guidelines for deriving embryonic stem cells through the IVF process and also funds for the embryonic stem cells research.
This institute allows research on spare embryos for extracting embryonic stem cells.
This is dark truth of this research that embryonic stem cells are derived from the aborted embryos which makes this unethical. Cells are extracted during the blastocyst stage.
This blastocyst has inner cell mass in which some cells are pluripotent and extract for culturing in the laboratory. Adult stem cells are multipotent which means that can be induced into another cell type for example adult cell can be induced into embryonic stem cells.
It is alleged that embryonic stem cells have the ability to cure dangerous diseases but it is also find that adult stem cells are better than the embryonic stem cells in curing the disease.
Even the pluripotency can be induced into these adult stem or somatic cells. We can say that adult stem cell research is better than the embryonic stem cells; even it doesn’t have any controversy or ethical issues.
Some of the facts proved that somatic cells research is better than embryonic stem cells research:
- Scientists successfully induced pluripotency in adult cells.
- In some case embryonic stem cells are quite risky in treating some disease such as in case of cancer these cells may grow indefinitely that result in causing tumors.
- Therapeutic treatments of adult stem cells are more successful than the embryonic stem cells.
- Main problem with the embryonic stem cells is rejection by the person’s body. These cells are not easily accepted by the immune system
If you believe that life exists in an embryo then according to you this research is totally unethical. This natural dilemma may confuse you how to react on this research? Either it should be ethical or unethical.
Due to some drawbacks of embryonic stem cells research we can not take strong stand for it. But I would like say that we can also stick with the adult stem cells research and even if we want embryonic stem cells for research we can induce these adult stem cells into pluripotent cells and with this you need not to hang between moral or immoral.
Benefits of embryonic stem cell research
Research on embryonic stem cells may be very effective or open new doors for the scientists in detecting the causes of the defects. It may helpful for curing thousands of ailments such as myocardium infections, stroke, Parkinson defect and spinal cord injury. These cells help for screening different drugs on the specialized cell type.
Embryonic stem cells based research has promising result in treating diabetes and Parkinson disease. Embryonic stem cells also give fundamental knowledge of cell biology to the scientist. Some has called adult stem cells research better over the embryonic stem cells but it is not true because such things have not yet been proved.
Most of the scientist has the majority of embryonic stem cells research. They want to do more research on the embryonic stem cells along with the adult cells. We don’t know when we get the exact result of this research but scientists hope for the best. This research has many medical possibilities.
Embryonic stem cells have the probability of curing the world’s horrible disease cancer. Since these cells have the ability to form number of cells, these cells can be used for detecting the cause of cancer.
This kind of information may help them in getting an idea of its treatment. There are numbers of frozen embryos in fertility centre. These frozen embryos are the result of IVF.
IF these frozen embryos do not used in time then they get expired. If we think according to an ethicist then a life is destroyed by itself.
So why can not be used that frozen embryos for research purpose that may results in saving an existing life? These spare embryos can help the scientists in their embryonic stem cells research.
Embryonic stem cells are also helpful in treating hearing loss and vision loss. Scientist in London performs some clinical trials in curing the blindness.
They found that a photoreceptors cell layer is present under the retina that is responsible for vision. They cure this by replacing that layer with the new layer. This new layer is formed by deriving embryonic stem cells from an embryo.
Even at present some scientists has succeeded in extracting new embryonic stem cell that is haploid in nature. Generally an embryonic stem cell is diploid in nature because it contains two set of chromosomes, one from the mother and other from the father.
Scientists initiate division in unfertilized human egg and used fluorescent dye for highlighting the genetic material of that egg cell. They observed numbers of haploid stem cells are found scattered between the diploid cells colony.
From their research they observed that these haploid stem cells have the pluripotency that makes them work as an embryonic stem cells. In this there is no need to destroy any embryo for the embryonic stem cells.
And this discovery of scientists may give a relief to the policy makers or ethicist because this research of scientists does not condemn any ethics. Scientists are also free to work on it.
Latest posts by Renu Prajapati (see all)
- What Is Stem Cell Treatment - 22/11/2016
- Stem Cell Research Definition Controversy Facts & latest Development - 21/11/2016
- Embryonic Stem Cell Research Pros And Cons - 21/11/2016