The Perfect Face Mask For Your Skin
What is a Face Mask?
A face mask is another term used for a face pack. It is a mask that takes care of cleansing, extractions and exfoliation along with tan removal and skin protecting benefits for all types of skin like acne-prone skin, dry skin and sensitive skin.
There are different types of face mask available in the market in accordance with your skin type, like face masks for acne prone skin, face masks for dry skin and face masks for sensitive and combination skin.
It is made keeping in mind your skin type and conditions. If your skin is dehydrated, then you will need a hydrated face mask that is face mask for dry skin and face mask for sensitive skin.
If your skin is inflamed or reddish, then you will need a soothing and cooling face mask, i.e. face mask for acne prone skin.
If your skin is congested or oily, then you will need a face mask that would help your skin in getting rid of all the oil and acne.
Face masks should be applied for at least 15-20 minutes. These constitute of ingredients like neem, aloe vera, clay, oils, vitamins, herbs, black mud and seaweed.
Homemade face masks and those available in the market offer you a great of varieties. Natural face masks are also available in the market which constitute of natural products like fruits, flowers, herbs,oils,etc.
After the mask has been applied properly and dried up, it is removed and the facial is completed using a serum, toner, lotion, moisturizer, sunscreen, etc.
Why you should apply a Face Mask?
Getting rid of all the dirt, makeup, oil, impurities and germs from your skin is very essential. Using a face mask removes all these from the top layers of your skin but what about the impurities that lie underneath your epidermis.
For this, you need to use a good face mask that would draw out all the underlying oil, acne and impurities giving you a soothing feel as it detoxes your skin from within. This is a vital requirement while choosing face masks for acne prone skin.
The pores on your skin that you could see and feel, it also helps in improving the appearance of these pores.
Impurities get trapped in the pores of your skin and develop bacteria in the underlying layers. This results into blemishes, breakouts or giant pimples.
To get rid of these you need to get your pores unclogged which can be done by using a suitable face mask. It removes the dead cells that build-up on your skin, dirt, impurities and unnecessary oils.
Thus, unclogging your pores and making your skin clean.
Application of face masks on your skin helps in stimulating your blood circulation. As the mask dries up and then removed, it causes the contraction and expansion of the underlying vessels.
This makes your skin softer and smoother, giving you a glowing and refreshing appearance. This is done by almost all the face masks for sensitive, dry or oily skin.
Overall Regime Maintenance
Using the right face mask, whether homemade or from the market, helps you in maintaining your other skin care routines too. All skin care products like serum, lotion, moisturizer, sunscreen, etc. are absorbed quickly by the skin and are taken to deeper levels.
Their performance is enhanced. Protecting, hydrating and toning products give the desired results at a faster rate when you use a face mask regularly. It is effective in all types of skin types whether acne-prone, dry or sensitive.
Application of face mask also has some therapeutic effects. It stimulates your blood circulation and senses. It soothes your skin and mind. It gives you a calming and relaxing effect. Hence, applying face mask has more to itself than cleansing and detoxing.
Face Mask for Acne Prone Skin
Acne prone skin results into blemishes and giant pimples which hurt a lot when touched. Using acne creams and treatments just make your skin condition worse.
Only the right face mask for acne prone skin can draw all that oil, impurities and dirt from your face from the underlying layers of your skin and give you a much clearer and radiant skin.
To calm down irritated and congested acne prone skin, you should look for face masks that contain cooling and soothing ingredients like aloe vera, neem, chamomile, cucumber, charcoal, chandan, etc. which will protect your skin from redness and inflammation due to acne.
Charcoal attracts, binds and draws out oil, dirt and impurities. Thus, it acts like a magnet and purifies, decongests and shrinks the pores thus fighting the acne well and hence, it is a good ingredient for face masks for acne prone and oily skin.
Bentonite clay is another great ingredient for oily skin as it swells up when mixed with a liquid and gets rid of all the oil and bacteria, giving you’re a skin a smoother appearance.
Sulphur is also a great weapon against acne as it makes the skin shed more quickly, making the pores unclog and open. It has bactericidal and drying properties as it kills those bacteria that cause acne and shrinks the pimples making your skin heal faster.
Salicylic acid penetrates deep into your skin and removes all the impurities giving you clearer pores and preventing any future pimples and breakouts.
Benzoyl Peroxide destroys acne causing bacteria and dries up the pimples quickly making them shrink. It can be unsuitable for sensitive skin type as it is a bit harsh on acne. Thus this ingredient should be looked for when buying face masks for acne prone skin but not for sensitive skin.
Tea tree oil also has antibacterial properties. It is as efficient as benzoyl peroxide but acts comparatively slowly. It too can be harsh for sensitive skin. Hence, it is not desirable in face masks for sensitive skin.
Blue tansy oil reduces the inflammation and redness due to acne. It is useful for acne prone skin and the irritation and inflammatory skin conditions related to it.
Aloe vera is a very famous healing herb. It soothes, hydrates and reduces inflammation and redness . Its cooling effect shrinks pimples. It is effective for all skin types whether dry, sensitive and oily.
Honey naturally soothes, moisturizes and produces hydrogen peroxide after reacting with secretions which reduces inflammation and scarring effects. It has antiseptic abilities. Face masks consisting of honey are suitable for sensitive skin also.
Niacinamide has triple action on the skin. It reduces pigmentation, fades scars and prevents any future breakouts.
Licorice extract targets discoloration due to sun and acne. It lightens scars and dark spots. It is a good option when buying face masks for sensitive and acne prone skin.
These are some ingredients that you should look for when finding a suitable face mask for acne prone skin.
Face Mask for Dry Skin
For people with dry skin who want some relief from all the skin problems that come along with this skin type like roughness and chapped cheeks, appropriate face masks for dry skin are the best solutions rather than opting for treatments, oils or creams.
When looking for a suitable face mask for dry skin you should look for ingredients like aloe vera, flower petal extract, white mushroom extract, cocoa, honey, banana, milk, cucumber, yoghurt, etc.
These ingredients enhance the hydrating properties of the face mask and gently cool down your face.
- Avacado contains many essential oils which are excellent for your dry skin.
- Papaya, cucumber, orange and strawberry contain antioxidants and vitamins which rejuvenate and hydrate your skin.
- Coconut is an excellent natural moisturizer and works best for dry skin due to its highly saturated fats constitution. This is suitable for face masks for sensitive skin also.
- Milk and yoghurt provide moisture and essential oils to your skin naturally. These are also a good option while selecting face masks for sensitive and dry skin.
- Banana is useful as it constitutes of antioxidants and potassium.
All these ingredients help in retaining the moisture in the pores and keeps your skin hydrated always. giving you the perfect face mask for dry skin.
Face Mask for Sensitive Skin
If you have sensitive skin then you may get irritated by chemicals or other ingredients very easily. Your skin may become reddish, itchy or chapped. In this case, you will need a face mask for sensitive skin.
For such skin type, you should avoid using facemask that constitute benzoyl peroxide, salicylic acid, alcohol, fragrance, sulphates, hydroxyl acids or parabens.
Opt for face mask which are made out of natural products and are chemical free which are the best option when choosing the right face mask for sensitive skin. All face masks constituting of clay are a good option or you may go for homemade face masks which would be the best option for you. You also have an option to opt for natural face masks available in the market.
Honey, fruits, milk, cucumber, aloe vera, neem, chandan, etc. are some of the ingredients that you should look for in your face mask for sensitive skin.
Homemade Face Mask – Do It Yourself
A homemade face mask is one which can be prepared at home. These are also called DIY face mask which means “Do It Yourself” as you can prepare these face mask yourself at home for a glowing skin in few minutes.
These are few DIY face masks for acne, dry and sensitive skin:
- Cinnamon, lemon and honey mask: This homemade mask constitutes of honey, cinnamon and lemon. It is good for oily skin and dry skin as it kills the bacteria causing acne and clears the pores through the action of lemon.
Also, these DIY facemasks restore the moisture in the skin and prevents chapping and roughness of the skin.
- Banana, oatmeal and honey scrub: This homemade face mask is especially for dry skin as it exfoliates and soothes your skin amazingly. It also helps in lightening your complexion.
Make paste of 2 bananas and mix it well with oatmeal after grinding them along with honey and your DIY face mask is ready.Remove after applying for 15-20 minutes.
- Cucumber, papaya, coconut and avocado face mask: Fruits are not just good in taste but also good for the skin when used as mask. They contain antioxidants and vitamins.
Even if you have oily, acne prone, sensitive or dry skin,homemade face masks made from mixing these super nutritious fruits would do wonders for your skin.
Just grind them all into a paste, mixing well and apply on your face as mask.
- Lemon and tomato face mask: This homemade face mask is appropriate for those with oily and acne prone skin.
This DIY facemask draws all the excess oil, impurities and dirt from your skin and cleans your pores. It revives your skin and makes you feel fresh.
Grind 2 tomatoes and turn them into a paste, add 2 tablespoons of lemon juice and your DIY face mask is ready.
- Coffee, cocoa and yoghurt or milk: For removal of dead skin, stimulating blood circulation, reducing dark circles and wrinkles while not being too harsh on the skin, this homemade face mask is the best option.
Mix finely ground coffee, cocoa powder and milk or plain yoghurt and mix it all together to form a thick paste.
If you have dry or sensitive skin, then add 2 tablespoon of honey or use lemon juice if you have oily or acne prone skin. This DIY face mask will smoothen your face and relax you completely.
Natural Face Mask
Natural face masks are those which comprise mostly of natural products like fruits, herbs, shrubs, fluids, etc.
When it comes to natural face masks you would find face masks that would contain neem, strawberry, basil, mint, orange, flowers, apple, grape, tea tree extracts, rose, chandan, etc.
There are face masks available in the market for oily skin, dry skin, sensitive skin and other combination type of skin.
Some of the best natural face mask available in the market are:
- Himalaya Neem Face Pack: It purifies your skin and prevents future breakout and infections. It deep cleanses your pores and makes your skin soft. It is a good option for acne-prone skin and sensitive skin.
- Lakme Strawberry Face Mask: It clears your skin along with a delicious fragrance. It draws up all the excess oil with the help of vitamin, strawberry extract and clay.
It moisturizes the skin very well and makes it glow. It is a good option for dry skin and sensitive skin type.
- Neem, Mint and Basil Face Pack by Khadi: This face mask helps in getting rid of all the dirt, impurities and pollution that accumulates on your face. It cleans your pores, giving you a natural glow. It is suitable for acne-prone and oily skin type.
- Everyuth Golden Peel-Off Mask: It is made up of fruits, flowers and herbs extracts. It improves your skin’s texture.
The peel-off mask removes dead cells, dirt and bacteria. It stimulates blood circulation and makes you look radiant. It is apt for dry skin and sensitive skin type.
- Sephora Face Mask: When it comes to natural face masks, Sephora has a variety of face masks to choose from.
If your skin is dry or sensitive, then this face mask would do wonders for you. These are very easy to use and makes you feel rejuvenated instantly.
Best Face Mask in the Market
When choosing the right face mask for your skin, you may get confused as to which ones are the best. You should take into consideration your skin type whether it is dry, oily or sensitive.
Hence, here is a list of few face masks available in the market which are really good and are a treat for your skin.
- Jovees Anti Blemish Pigmentation Face Pack: Acne are a problem but a much serious problem are the scars that are left behind which are very difficult to treat.
This face pack by Jovees is very useful for treating these scars, blemishes and pigmentation.
It is a very reliable product and is a must have for those who face these problems of acne scar, pigmentation, blemishes and uneven skin tone. Hence, this face mask is a boon for acne-prone skin type.
- Aroma Activated Bamboo Charcoal Pack: It removes all the dead cells from your skin giving you an instant and brightens up your skin. It exfoliates your skin removing dirt, impurities and oil. It is good for sensitive and oily skin type.
- Lakme After Sun Skin Lightening and De-Tan Face Mask: If tanning is your worst enemy, then this face mask is your best friend. It is very effective in de-tanning and protecting your skin from tanning.
- Garnier Light Face Pack: It does the job of a scrub, face wash as well as a face mask. If you do not have much time but need the benefits of all these three, then this face pack is all you need.
It clears your skin, gets rid of blackheads and brightens up your skin quickly.
- Lotus Herbals Tea Tree Clarifying Face Pack: For all skin types this face mask is really effective. It lightens up the blemishes, clears the skin and deals with the acne.
Those with acne prone skin should own this for best results.
- Himalaya Clarifying Mud Face Pack: It contains fuller’s earth and walnut which have been used since centuries for enhancing the beauty of women.
It removes dead cells, exfoliates and smoothens your skin. It makes you feel fresh and glowing. It is a treat fir those with sensitive skin type.
Hope this article helps you in finding the perfect face mask for your skin, so that you remain rejuvenated and glowing all day!