A frozen shoulder doesn’t mean the shoulder kept in a deep freezer which got ice-cold. It gives a chilling feeling at imagination only, no? A frozen shoulder signifies the jammed or stiff shoulder. It is “inflammation, thickening and shrinkage of the capsule that surrounds the normal shoulder joint.
Frozen shoulder is the outcome of an injury. It requires heavy treatment. The shoulder remains in an immobile state, which leads to its stiffness and soreness. It becomes numb.
To retain back the wide range movement of the shoulder, it is necessary to involve some exercises. Physiotherapists suggest a number of exercises to the individual to deal with this catastrophe.
STRETCHING EXERCISES FOR FROZEN SHOULDER
1. Getting the arm up overhead while laying down
– Lay down on your back on the floor.
– Your body should be straight and aligned.
– You can lay your arms sideways, with your palms facing the floor.
– Now slowly raise your right arm up towards the ceiling and then more and more backward.
– Make an obtuse angle with your hand within a range of 100-130 degrees.
– Give your raised arm a little stretch with the help of your left hand.
– Release the hold and come back down.
– Repeat the same with your left hand.
2. Getting the arm across the body
– Stand straight with your feet a few inches apart.
– Your body should be erect and face in the forward direction.
– Now let your arms hang for a while at the sides.
– Make the next move by taking the left arm across your body to the right side.
– You may give a little stretch to your left arm with the help of your right hand.
– Gently lower it back down.
– Repeat the steps with your right arm.
– Have enough of sets and repetitions of this exercise
FROZEN SHOULDER TREATMENT EXERCISES
A frozen shoulder need to be dealt properly to yield the best possible results of recovery. We start with simple ones, and slowly increase the level.
1. Mary-go-round hand
– Lean on a table with one hand and let your other arm swing in air.
– Your shoulders should be completely relaxed while doing this.
– Make your hand go round and round in circles while hanging.
– Imagine as if you have to generate a vortex with your hand.
– Do not pressurize your hand. It should be done in a relaxed state.
– The diameter can be increased as you level up! (Sounds like a game? “Level up”.)
2. Towel stretch
– Stand straight with your feet apart.
– You have to use a towel in this exercise. The towel should not be too big and not too small. About 3 foot should be the size. You can use a scarf or any cloth as well. But mind the size!
– Now hold the towel with both of your hands at your back.
– Raise the towel from the side at which you have the frozen shoulder. Hold one end of the towel below only.
– Now try the alternate side.
– Repeat this. This exercise would be beneficial after you take a bath. No hypothetical reasoning. Just, it will have dual work then. It will help with your frozen shoulder as well as dry your back off!
BEST FROZEN SHOULDER EXERCISES
1. Armpit Stretch
– You need a good heighted table or shelf. You need a platform of up to chest height.
– Place both the arms on the table, straight.
– Stand straight with the feet few inches apart.
– Now, bend your knees down a little so that your arms and shoulder region feels some stretch.
– Come back above in the original position after holding a few seconds.
– Bend down again. Keep repeating this process for a few minutes.
– Do not over-exhaust!
2. Arm Circles
– This is the best and the most common exercise of shoulders.
– Stand straight with your feet a few inches apart.
– Look forward.
– Now bend your elbows, placing your hands at your shoulders. Do this with both of your hands.
– You have to make small circles with your elbows now. Go clockwise and then anticlockwise.
FROZEN SHOULDER PAIN RELIEF EXERCISE
1. Shoulder external rotation
– Stand straight and upright, with your spine in alignment with your legs.
– Your feet should be kept a few inches apart.
– Tie a pulley with the door knob.
– Keep one hand at your waist, and with the other hold the pulley.
– You have to pull the pulley left and right, but keep in mind; you have to do this while keeping your forearm parallel to the ground.
– Do it steadily. Do not put extra pressure.
2. Scapular active range of motion
The name is awkward, but the exercise is definitely not.
– Stand straight with the feet a few inches apart.
– Keep your arms and shoulders in the relaxed state.
– Now you have to move your shoulders. Move them in circular motion path.
– You can do it clockwise and anticlockwise.
3. Wand exercises
These exercises are done with the help of the wand. Move it forward, move it backward, it makes your shoulders a little loose turn by turn.
a. Flexion: hold the wand in both of your hands. Stand straight with your feet a few inches apart. Move the wand up and down, without the movement of any other body part. Do not bend the knees or even move your head. Just bring your arms up, and then down.
b. Extension: stand straight and feet few inches apart. Hold the wand at the back. Palms should face away from the body. Move the arms up and down. The arms and shoulders feel some extension in muscles.
External and internal rotations can also be done using the wand.
Exercise and combat even the serious of the injuries and health issues! Eat proper and drink proper. You are much stronger than you think!