What is morning sickness?
We often hear about something called “Morning sickness”. How can an ailment be with such an interesting name? No, it is not a pathogenic disease or inherited disorder. It is not even a “sickness”, as it is named. It is a common attribute which occurs in the morning and ceases with the passing day. The symptoms reduce as the day progresses.
Morning sickness is often linked with the pregnancy, as a pregnant woman faces a nauseous consequence, for instance, vomiting, tiredness, dizziness etc.
What causes morning sickness?
Morning sickness has been found to occur due to various reasons. Some of them are mentioned below:
- Changes in hormones like hCG, estrogen and progesterone:
The variations in levels of HCG (human Chorionic Gonadotropin), estrogen, progesterone etc. causes the symptoms of morning sickness.
During pregnancy, these dominant hormones exhibit rapid rise in early stage.It is observed that when there is a rise in HCG and estrogen level, the feeling of nausea is initiated. As a result, HCG and estrogen levels are considered as a “last straw on the camel’s back” sign, which are accompanied with nauseas symptoms.
- Stress: Experiencing some sort of stress and mental tiredness results in feeling sick and vomit. An abnormal response might also be observed during pregnancy.
- Food quality: The quality of food we eat matters a lot. And, in present scenario, people are attracted more towards the “aloo chat” rather than home-made “dal” .All I want to say is that the food may contain some toxins or inappropriate substances which may lead to morning sickness. The odour and taste also adds up in the list .
When does morning sickness start?
Morning sickness as suggested by the name has its hang over in the morning hours only. It gradually decreases over the course of the day.
When does morning sickness start in pregnancy?
In pregnancy, morning sickness begins within the first two months .The pregnant women may feel uneasy and restless. She may feel so at any hour of the day or night.
Morning sickness is the first symptom of the pregnancy, as it starts around two weeks after missing period.
The missed period is an indication of the increased level of HCG and estrogen in human body; hence the nausea as we read in the beginning is the indicative of high levels of hormonal changes. Now you understand why morning sickness occurs after missed period?
Morning sickness symptoms
To be summarized, the symptoms can be noted as follows:
- Nausea feeling
- Vomiting and dizziness
- restlessness and mental fatigue
- Physical changes in the body such as weight loss, acidity of the blood etc.
- Fidgety and nervousness
- Confusion about what you feel, and how to interpret
Symptoms can come out in the morning hours and cease slowly. No need to worry, as this sickness does not harm the baby in any way. In fact, it is beneficial and healthier for the body. Traditionally considered as a good sign, morning sickness brings happiness to many households. Some dietary changes also may be taken as an indicative of morning sickness.
When does morning sickness end?
Morning sickness begins in the beginning of day and limbers down gradually. But, in some cases, it may last all day long. In such a situation, women are extremely restless and feel a little scared about their health. No need to worry ladies, this is a quite common stage often faced by many of the other women. However, it may be serious sometimes, which we have discussed below.
How long morning sickness last?
Morning Sickness lasts through the end of the first trimester. However it may also last up to 5 months in some cases, or maybe throughout the entire pregnancy!
Severe morning sickness
Severe morning sickness is commonly known by the term “hyperemesis graviderum” (HG). It sounds complicated and is itself very complex. It results into severe symptoms such as excessive vomiting, high dizziness, shivering, weakness and fatigue. The regular vomit results in dehydration and the food intake becomes too difficult. Hence, many a times, there comes a condition where the patient needs to be admitted into the hospital, and need to be given regular glucose supply. There may be some weight loss as well, and the electrolytic balance of the body might also get disturbed. Severe morning sickness definitely may affect the health of the mother as well as the child; hence precautions need to be taken.
Morning sickness at night
Different women have different pregnancies. Hormonal changes determine it. Beware of the fact that morning sickness is not Morning-monster only. It can occur at night as well, and keep you from taking a perfect night’s sleep. Thus, the term “morning” in Morning Sickness is misleading. And, numerous women suffer from it at night. The feeling of nausea is extreme in such cases, because lack of rest increases morning sickness, and at the night, you are really tired out of the complete day.
When does morning sickness peak?
Variation in pregnancies makes it difficult to determine the peak time of morning sickness. Usually it is the third month where the symptoms are very high. There is a high HCG level found during 6th and 18th week. It is believed that during this time, the organs of the baby inside the womb develop. As a result, maximum resistance from the food toxins and harmful substances is needed. The immune system of the pregnant lady is so developed as morning sickness acts as the protection system against the food born diseases.
When do you get morning sickness?
Morning sickness is considered as the first messenger of the “good news” which is about to come. It is the first symptom of the pregnancy. It often starts from six weeks, but in some it can begin as early as 2-3 weeks.
How to stop morning sickness?
Morning sickness is although a good sign of health, but the symptoms are really disturbing for the pregnant women. Hence, you must be willing to at least lower the intensity of the symptoms. To do this, various methods can be adopted. Here are some cures:
- Food Guidelines:
- Morning sickness completely drains the body off nutrition. Hence, regular nutritional intake needs to be maintained. Keep nibbling some snacks, with a sip of fruit juice regularly.
- No need to go for heavy meals. Have little amounts in regular intervals of time.
- Keep sugar level balanced. Your baby needs some energy!
- Eat protein-rich food. You can have nuts, cereals, pulses etc.
- Avoid spicy, oily, acidic and fried food.
- Cold meals are better to take than the hot ones.
- If necessary, Take your breakfast in bed only.
- Maintain water level of the body.
- Ginger is used as an aid during this time.
Rest: Take as much rest as you require. This is your right to rest! But, don’t be inactive. Keep your body in moving condition often. You can do yoga or maybe some pregnancy exercise.
- Odour Solution: Odour issues can be solved with lemons! Have them by your side. Whenever required, sniff them.
- Get up slowly: it is often noticed that when you instantly get up from bed, the dizziness makes you blind for a fraction of seconds and you feel nauseated. Take your time to make your brain conscious and slowly get up from the bed.
- Digital screen effect: The screens of mobiles and computers often make the morning sickness go high. Hence, pregnant ladies need not use these devices much.
Morning sickness in men
It has been observed that apart from pregnant ladies, morning sickness prevail in the male world as well. Men also feel nauseated in the morning and puke at any hour out of restlessness.
There can be various reasons for this phenomenon. Want to have a look?
- Food: Most men do not have a control on their diet, or have poor eating habits. They eat too much of acidic food, or they eat TOO MUCH at night. Due to this, they experience nausea in the morning. The indigestion dominates as being the reason most men experience morning sickness.
Blood sugar level is also the reason which is noticed.
- Emotional issues: Stress, anxiety and depression also adds in the list.
- Insufficient sleep: the workaholics have this reason the most. Inadequate amount of sleep often results in morning sickness in men.
- Disease: In some men, there may be a serious health issue due to which they experience morning sickness, as a symptom.
What helps with morning Sickness?
Morning sickness cannot be stopped, neither it should be. But you can definitely try to ease out the suffering. Improvement in eating habits, food quality, rest period, use of fragrances around, appropriate clothing and avoiding stuff which can trigger the sickness are some solutions to it.
Morning sickness remedies
Remedies are various and easy to execute. They can be natural or with the use of chemicals, for example, use of supplements. In any way, they help to reduce the effects of morning sickness.
Go ahead, and have a safe pregnancy! Best wishes.