Oily skin care may be difficult and moreover uncomfortable. Oily skin leads to acne and it may clog pores. Choosing which way to clean is quite confusing.
During puberty, hormones in males and females like androgens levels get increased gives signals to the sebaceous gland. Sebaceous gland produces oily substance which are made up of fats. Oily substance is called as sebum.
Sebum is nothing bad, but it help moisturize your skin and keep the skin and hair healthy and shiny. Everything is good if it’s in limit. More sebum will lead to oily skin and leads to clog pores on to the skin.
Thereby, increasing the chances of acne. There are number of reasons through which sebum production may get increased. Genetic changes, over-stress and hormone changes, etc. These may also lead to over production of sebum.
Determine if you really have an oily skin. You can do this by using blotting paper. Just pat blotting paper on your skin. Examine it under light. If oil is visible in T-zone of your face including your forehead, nose and chin area, you really have an oily skin.
How to Clean Oily Skin:
- How to choose a cleanser: Look for a face wash specially designed for oily skin care. Liquid face washes contains Alphahydroxy Acids like glycolic acid, lactic acid, citric acid, etc. They act as an exfoliator for oily skin and removes dead skin cells.
Emollients like different oils provide moisture to the skin. For acne prone, cleansers with salicylic acid will be best. Salicylic acid opens blogged pores and it helps to remove redness and welling on the skin due to acne.
- When to wash your face: Wash your face twice in a day. Use Luke-warm water to wash your face. Remember, not to use too hot or too cold water as it blocks the pores and opens it respectively. Hot water removes all the skin from the skin and it makes the skin drier.
- Scrub your face with an exfoliator once or twice a week. Don’t apply too much pressure or rub your face too hard.
- After washing, pat dry your face with microfiber towel.
- If you a sensitive or oily skin and you wear a make-up, avoid using wipes for your oily skin care. If you must use it make sure it is alcohol-free and fragrance-free. Use wipes which has salicylic acid in it. Cleaning your face is far better than using wipes.
- Moisturize your skin after washing: After you have washed and pat dry your face. It is mandatory to moisturize your skin. Moisturizing your face with and oil-free moisturizer will provide you a relief from oily skin.
You can also use other different methods to clean your oily skin and take care of oily skin care.
- Try applying dry mud on to your oily skin as mud removes excess oil from the skin and is good for oily skin care.
- Make a paste of facial clay (bentonite) and rose-water. Bentonite will help remove excess oil. Rose water soothes the skin and provide astringent effect. You can also add lemon oil to this to help your overly active oil glands. Keep this for 5-10 minutes until dry. Wash your face with Luke-warm water, pat dry and moisturize your skin.
Best Cleanser for Oily Skin:
Oily skin has more chances of breakouts and acne. There are many cleansers in market which claims to prevent acne and other skin problems. Choosing the best cleanser for your oily skin care will be tough. Let’s have a look on actual best cleansers for oily skin care available in market.
Neutrogena Oil-free Acne Face wash:
Neutrogena Oil-free Acne Face wash is a #1 dermatologist recommended cleanser for oily skin care. To prevent acne and get oil-free skin this product is totally reliable.
The main ingredient of this cleanser for oily skin contains salicylic acid which helps to prevent breakouts.
- Gel based.
- Contains 2% salicylic acid helps prevent breakouts.
- Suitable for all skin types.
Price: INR 425/- for 175ml.
Clean and Clear Deep Action Oil Control Face Wash:
Clean and Clear Deep Action Oil Control Face Wash cleanses oily skin from deep pores. This product has a thick consistency. It lather well and a little goes a long way. This cleanser for oily skin care gives you a matte finish after wash.
It has a tube packaging with a transparent flip-flop cap. Clean and Clear Face Wash controls oil for 3-4 hours.
- Gives a matte finish.
- Controls oil for 3-4 hours.
- Travel-friendly packaging.
- It claims but doesn’t control oil for 8 hours.
- It also claims to remove make-up completely but it doesn’t.
Price: INR 50/- for 40ml.
Garnier Skin Naturals Fresh Deep Clean Face Wash Mint Extract:
Garnier Skin Naturals Fresh Deep Clean Face Wash Mint Extract is a cleanser for combination to normal skin. It contains Menthol extract which gives an astringent effect with deep cleaning from the pores.
This cleanser for oily skin care removes sebum from the oily skin and other impurities and traces of make-up from the skin. It is a dermatologically tested product for oily skin care.
- Provides cooling sensation.
- Leaves skin fresh and cool.
- Controls oil.
- Runny consistency.
- Strong odor of eucalyptus.
Price: INR 95/- for 100g.
Himalaya Purifying Neem Face Wash:
Himalaya Purifying Neem Face Wash is herbal formulation for oily skin care. It is light green in color. Main ingredients of this cleanser is Neem and Turmeric. Neem has an anti-bacterial property whereas Turmeric has an anti-inflammatory property and antioxidant property.
They help prevents acne breakouts on oily skin. It comes in a gel like consistency.
- Readily available.
- Don’t have too much lather property.
Price: INR 80 for 100ml.
Cetaphil Cleansing Lotion:
Cetaphil Cleansing Lotion for Sensitive Skin is a dermatologist recommended medicated cleanser for oily skin care. It has little runny consistency. This cleanser for oily skin care is fragrance-free and non-comedogenic product. It doesn’t clog pores.
This cleanser works for normal to sensitive skin. It helps to remove make-up and other impurities from the skin.
- Removes make-up.
- Readily available.
- Recommended by dermatologists.
- Removes all the dirt and impurities.
- Contains parabens.
- Medicated Fragrance.
Price: INR 136 for 125ml.
Best Moisturizer for oily Skin:
If you have an oily skin, moisturizing it is a necessary part for oily skin care routine. There are many water-based moisturizers available in the market for oily skin care.
They controls the sebum produces by the sebaceous gland of the skin. The best moisturizer is the one which controls oil on the skin for a longer duration of time.
Oily skin care needs a moisturizer but in a very little amount. A little goes a long way for oily skin.
Some of the best moisturizers for oily skin care are:
- Neutrogena Oil Free Moisturizer.
- Lotus Herbal Alpha moist Alpha Hydroxy Skin Renewal Oil-Free Moisturizer.
- Lacto Calamine Skin Balance Daily Nourishing Lotion.
- Clean and Clear Skin Balancing Moisturizer.
- Himalaya Herbals Nourishing Face Moisturizing Lotion.
How to Fight Pollution All Day with Lotion:
Pollution can be in different forms. Thereby collecting on your skin in different forms. Some visible or dust pollution collected on your skin can be washed off by a cleanser. But, some pollution like some gases can cause harm.
Pollution causes allergic reactions, inflammation, skin irritation, make your skin dry and can clog pores. Most importantly it causes skin ageing. Changes can be seen on the most exposed areas of the skin like hands, face and neck.
Steps to follow to fight pollution:
- Cleansing: For people, living in high pollution areas cleaning your skin with a good cleanser is the first step. Also for people living in low pollutants areas. Cleanser removes oil, make-up, dirt and other pollutants you may have exposed to.
If not satisfied, you may double cleanse your skin areas. Look for a sulfate-free cleanser.
- Scrubbing: Scrubbing your exposed areas like face, hands and neck with a good exfoliator will remove the dirt and oil from deep down pores. It makes your skin fresh and dull-free. You can also make home-made scrub by mixing sugar, lemon extract and honey.
- Using product with Antioxidants: Free-radical formation on the skin is prevented by antioxidants. Also when antioxidants are taken orally it makes skin healthy. Use cleansers, moisturizers with antioxidants vitamin A, C and E.
- Using a good Moisturizer: Moisturizers makes a barrier layer between skin and any air pollutants. It help skin remain hydrated.
- Using a Sunscreen: Skin exposed to sun rays may get damaged. UVA/UVB rays are harmful for skin. It is better to wear a sunscreen when you go out in day time. Sun protection will protect your skin and prevent it from becoming dull.
- Drink more water: Staying hydrated is the main formula. You can fight every problem by staying hydrated. Make sure to carry a water bottle when you go out. Eat fresh fruits which has more water content.
- Avoid Peak Hours: This is the best option you have. Just avoid going out in the pollution in the rush hours. More automobiles, more will be the pollution and thus, more will the skin problems.
You can also use anti-pollution products to protect your skin against pollution.
Best Face Wash for Oily Skin Care:
Choosing best moisturizer and face wash for oily skin care is a bit tough task. Face wash which cleanses your skin but feels dry after washing is not what we are looking for. Face wash which provides a matte finish but then, dehydrate your skin is also not what we are looking for.
Especially when it comes to oily skin care. Choose a face wash which mattifies your skin as well as keep it fresh and hydrated.
Himalaya Herbals’ Oil Clear Lemon Face Wash:
Himalaya Herbals’ Oil Clear Lemon Face Wash for oily skin care is an herbal formulation contains honey and lemon extract.
- Lemon cleanses oily skin and makes it fresh and healthy.
- Honey maintains the balance of moisture on skin.
- It is pocket-friendly product.
- It does controls oil but not for longer hours.
Price in India: INR 140/- for 150ml.
Cetaphil daily facial cleanser:
Cetaphil daily facial cleanser for oily skin care is a dermatologically recommended product for normal to oily skin.
- It removes dirt and excess oil on the skin.
- It contains parabens.
- Cetaphil daily facial cleanser is not very economic.
- Light make-up can be removed by this cleanser.
Price in India: INR 1556/- for 237ml.
VLCC Acne Care Oil Control Face Wash:
VLCC Acne Care Oil Control Face Wash is a face wash for oily skin care which controls oil and prevents acne breakouts on the oil skin.
- It comes with a goodness of clove and salicylic acid.
- It has anti-bacterial property, prevention over oil production and acne on skin.
- Not very economic product.
Price in India: INR 1755/- for 50ml.
Best Face Scrub for Oily Skin:
Exfoliation cleans pores from deep down and opens the clogged pores. Exfoliation makes thorough cleaning of the skin. It increases blood circulation. It helps make skin healthy and make it glow.
Neutrogena Deep Clean Black head Eliminating Daily Scrub:
Neutrogena Deep Clean Black head Eliminating Daily Scrub for oily skin care works wonder for blackheads and preventing other new blackheads. It has micro granules beads of orange color with thick translucent liquid.
Salicylic acid fights against acne. This scrub for oily skin care exfoliates the skin and open clogged pores. It is dermatologically tested product.
Price: INR 240/- for 100g.
Clean and Clear Black head Clearing Daily Scrub:
Clean and Clear Black head Clearing Daily Scrub for oily skin care has micro particles which exfoliates the skin and cleanses the dead skin cells from deep. It has a jelly like texture. Continuous usage of this scrub for oily skin care helps in removing blackheads and white heads from the skin.
This scrub for oily skin care is good for oily skin care as it hardens sebum around the T-zone. It is pocket-friendly product.
Price: INR 110/- for 80g.
Garnier Pure Active Blackheads Uprooting Scrub:
Garnier Pure Active Blackheads Uprooting Scrub for oily skin care comes with a very appealing small dark blue color exfoliating beads.
This scrub for oily skin care is effective for blackheads. It provides an astringent i.e. a cooling sensation.
It contains salicylic acid which works on acne on the skin and provide a radiant look to the face. This scrub is very economical in rate.
Price: INR 64/- for 50g.
Body Shop Tea Tree Squeaky Clean Scrub:
Body Shop Tea Tree Squeaky Clean Scrub with a goodness of tea tree is the best pick for skin care, especially for oily skin.
This scrub for oily skin care consists of small and large exfoliating particles which cleanses the skin. It helps preventing acne and blackheads.
This scrub for oily skin care is not so economic. But, overall a great pick to reduce acne and rid of blemishes.
Price: INR895/- for 100ml.
Lotus Herbals Whiteglow Oatmeal and Yogurt Skin Whitening Scrub:
Lotus Herbals Whiteglow Oatmeal and Yogurt Skin Whitening Scrub for oily skin care comes in cream-white in color and it has a thick consistency.
On regular usage, it helps in removing blackheads and blemishes. This scrub for oily skin care brightens the skin.
It makes skin healthier and make it glow by removing impurities of the skin, blackheads, white heads and dirt. Oatmeal and yogurt help in moisturizing skin and helps in lightening it.
Price: INR 130/- for 5g.
L’Oréal Paris Go 360 Clean Deep Exfoliating Scrub:
L’Oréal Paris Go 360 Clean Deep Exfoliating Scrub for oily skin care is a light orange on color and it is gel-based. It has a medium consistency and its exfoliating particles has an apricot seed beads.
This scrub helps in exfoliation and opens the clogged pores. It is gentle when used in alternate day.
It comes in very appealing packaging.
Price: INR 420/- for 100ml.
Himalaya Purifying Neem Scrub:
Himalaya Purifying Neem Scrub for oily skin care is light green in color with green exfoliating micro particles. It controls excess oil on the skin, removes dead skin cells.
Neem and Apricot are its main ingredients. Neem controls acne on the skin. Apricot provides hydration to the skin.
It is economic in rate. It leaves skin soft and radiant.
Price: INR 130/- for 100g.
VLCC Papaya and Apricot Face Scrub:
VLCC Papaya and Apricot Face Scrub for oily skin care also comes under as one of the best scrub for oily skin. Papain is an enzyme in papaya and vitamin A, these both controls production of the sebum and removes dead skin cells.
Apricot provides and keep skin hydrated and controls pigmentation.
Price: INR 150/- for 80g.
Khadi Natural Face Scrub Rose and Papaya:
Khadi Natural Face Scrub Rose and Papaya is specially formulated for oily skin care. It helps to open the clogged pores and removes dead skin cells. It helps to control excess oil on the skin.
This scrub for oily skin care consists of essential oils which keeps the skin hydrated and moisturized. It is purely made up of natural organic ingredients and thus, it is safe to use.
Price: INR 100/-
Fabindia Almond Face Scrub:
Fabindia Almond Face Scrub is formulated for acne prone and oily skin type. This scrub for oily skin care comes with a goodness of walnut granules and almond oil.
These ingredients control the sebaceous gland to prevent the overproduction of sebum.
It purifies and exfoliates skin and absorbs on the skin easily. This scrub leaves skin soft and supple.
Price: INR 200 for 120ml.
Most important questions that you may have related to oily skin care routine:
Q: How can I control my oily skin?
A: Wash you face twice a day. Don’t over wash your face.
Using oil-free cosmetics.
Keep a watch over eating.
Q: How do you treat oily skin?
A: Use natural ingredients to treat oily skin that absorbs oil from the skin. Applying aloe vera, yoghurt, cucumbers, etc will help treat oily skin.
Q: How do you know if your skin is oily or dry?
A: Dab a blotting paper on your face. If you can see oil on blotting paper that clearly means you have an oily skin and if there is no oil on the paper then your skin is dry.
Q: How do you get rid of shiny face?
A: Best way to get rid of shiny face is you can use cleanser with 2% salicylic acid. Salicylic acid controls the oil from the skin. Do watch what touches your face. Wash hands before touching your face so as to avoid oil.
Q: What makeup should I use for oily skin?
A: Using a matte primer will help absorb the shine and oil on the skin. Using matte products absorbs all the oil and gives the skin a natural, oil-free, non-greasy look.
Q: Which Mac Foundation is good for oily skin?
A: MAC Studio Fix Fluid is one if the best foundation for normal to oily from the products of Mac. It controls the oil on the skin and gives matte finish.
Q: Is a primer good for your skin?
A: Primer helps in make up to stay for a longer time. It is good for skin. It softens, smoothens, non- comedogenic and easy to apply.
Q: How can I clean my face naturally?
A: Make a paste of one teaspoon baking soda. Add lemon juice and water in it. Use it to cleanse face and exfoliate the skin. Wash your face with lukewarm water and pat dry it.
Q: How can I wash my face without soap?
A: One can use aloe vera to wash your oily skin. Make a paste of coconut oil or olive oil and mix it with a little amount of sugar and water. Exfoliate the skin and wash after you are done with it. Pat dry your face.
Q: How can I have clear skin?
A: Don’t over-wash your face. Applying more sulphate will harm your skin. Protect the skin from sun rays by using sun protection creams.