Hello friends! Liver has its own significance in the body, so it is important to understand the serious liver disease that takes place in it. Especially, we should get aware of the symptoms of liver cancer in India and its treatment. So, let’s understand what the liver and liver cancer is.
The liver is the largest organ that sits on the right side of the belly. Weighing about 3 pounds, the liver is reddish-brown in color and feels rubbery to the touch. Normally one can’t feel the liver, because it is protected by the rib cage.
Liver and its Structure
The appearance of the symptoms of liver cancer begins from the liver itself, which is necessary to study.
The liver has two large sections, called the right and the left lobes. The Gall bladder sits under the liver, along with parts of the pancreas and intestines. The liver and these organs work together to digest, absorb, and process food.
What is the role of the liver in our body?
Before we study the symptoms of liver cancer in India, we must know how it occurs, what is the root. So, first let’s go to the main functions of the liver.
- Liver filters the blood transported from the digestive tract and helps in its purification.
- Again, it detoxifies the medicines and chemicals in the body and helps in their metabolism.
- The liver secretes bile juice which emulsifies fat and helps in its digestion.
- The liver also helps in the formation of proteins, that help in the blood clotting mechanism.
Now let’s discuss what liver cancer is and what the symptoms of liver cancer in India are.
Do you know what Liver Cancer is?
“The abrupt outgrowth of abnormal cells inside the liver, that divides uncontrollably forming a tumor-like mass in the liver, which can invade to other parts or grow at that specific site only; this term is known to be Liver Cancer.”
To understand the liver disease and the symptoms of liver cancer in India, we should first know about the normal structure and functions of the liver.
The cells combine and form liver, these cells are called Hepatocytes. The liver also consists of other types of cells and tissues, that comprise blood vessels and the small connecting ducts, called Bile Ducts. These bile ducts pass the bile juice into the gall bladder and the intestines as well.
Benign liver tumors
It is a type of liver disease that outgrow into massive tissue and then the tumors. These tumors sometimes grow large enough to cause problems, but they do not grow into nearby tissues or spread to distant parts of the body.
Surgery is the best-recommended liver cancer treatment for a patient.
Hemangioma is the most known among the benign liver tumor, it starts in the blood vessels of the liver. There are generally no visible symptoms of liver cancer in this type.
Hepatic adenoma is known to be a benign tumor which starts from the abnormality of hepatocytes that starts from hepatocytes. This type doesn’t always show the symptoms of liver cancer, but some may show initially.
Focal nodular hyperplasia
Focal nodular hyperplasia (FNH) a type of benign tumor which comprises several types of liver cells, such as hepatocytes, blood cells, bile ducts cells, and connective tissues. When the symptoms of liver cancer appear in this case, the doctors perform the diagnosis and the liver cancer treatment.
These FNH types occur more in women than in men.
What are the types of Liver Cancer?
- Primary Liver cancer: A liver disease that is abnormal in cellular outgrowth; it happens inside the liver only,
- Secondary Liver Cancer: This Liver disease is a type when cancer does not start in the liver itself, but has spread from somewhere else in the body, like the pancreas, colon, stomach etc. It is also known as Secondary Liver Cancer.
Also there are different stages of cancer, which show different symptoms of liver cancer.
Do you know what the Risk Cancer Factors are for Liver Cancer?
A risk factor affects your chance of getting the liver disease and sometimes different symptoms of liver cancer in India. Some risk factors are avoidable, but some are not.
Some risk factors of liver cancer are:
- Gender: The liver disease Hepatocellular Carcinoma is much more common in the males than in females.
- Chronic Viral Hepatitis (Hep-B or Hep-C): The most dangerous risk factors of liver cancer is the long-term infection of Hep-B or Hep-C virus in humans. This liver disease is the worst among the risk factors and the symptoms of liver cancer are also somewhat similar to this liver disease.
- Heavy Alcohol Use: Alcohol abuse is a leading cause of cancer, and other liver diseases too.
Avoid alcohol; it’s hazardous to your health.
- Obesity: obesity increases the risk of developing liver cancer. This is due to fatty liver, which also increases the symptoms of liver cancer in India and other liver diseases.
- Type 2 diabetes: There is a link between the type 2 diabetes and the increasing risk liver cancer or any other liver disease. It is similar to that of fatty liver.
- Aflatoxins: Aflatoxins is again a risk factor that may increase the occurrence of symptoms of liver cancer. It is basically a type of fungus that can be contaminated through the food.
- Infection with parasites: Parasite infect the liver causing severe liver disease, fatty liver, and to the extreme case, cancer as well.
- Tobacco: Tobacco causes more risk for symptoms of liver cancer to occur. Smoking, in turn, causes the more intake of tobacco increases the chances of liver cancer.
There are some factors with unclear effects on liver cancer risk
Birth Control Pills: In rare cases, birth control pills can cause liver disease, as it leads to side effects in the body of women, that can lead to difficulty in the liver metabolism.
I guess this is quite enough of the required information on liver cancer, now comes the turn to get in the topic of Signs and Symptoms of Liver Cancer in India. As the liver disease is caused mostly due to the fatty liver, and many other risk factors, it is a very crucial part for us to be aware of it because liver failure is really for anyone hard to sustain up with.
Similarly, going through the symptoms of liver cancer in India is a necessity to go through because if you ever face it or anyone close to you does, you may get a good help of your basic knowledge and undergo for the diagnosis and the liver cancer treatment.
Signs and Symptoms of Liver cancer
Signs and symptoms of liver cancer in India that causes the liver failure often do not show up until the later stages of the disease, but sometimes they, may show up sooner. If you first notice the symptoms of liver cancer, your liver disease may be diagnosed earlier, when the liver cancer treatment is most likely to be helpful to save yourself from liver failure.
Some of the symptoms of liver cancer are:
- Weight loss:This happens due to the effect of liver failure and least metabolism of your food and nutrients in the liver. This also leads the fatty liver to become weak.
- Loss of appetite:Due to bad metabolism and liver failure the appetite also becomes weak.
- Feeling full after a small meal: It is also among the symptoms of liver cancer.
- Nausea or vomiting: the liver failure and indigestion causes nausea or vomiting. These symptoms of liver cancer are quite similar to those of stomach cancer.
Symptoms of liver cancer related to the abdomen
- An enlarged liver is felt as a mass under the ribs on the right side. Such symptoms of liver cancer are visible in ultrasound and CT scans.
- An enlarged spleen is felt as a mass under the ribs on the left side. It is one of the most easily noticeable symptoms of liver cancer.
- Pain in the abdomen or near the right shoulder-blade is a sign of liver failure, a liver disease. Keep a caution to it, don’t ignore such symptoms of liver cancer.
- Swelling or fluid-up in the abdomen is useful to the doctor in physical exams; it’s one of the helpful symptoms of liver cancer.
- Itching is also among the important symptoms of liver cancer.
- Yellowing of the skin and eyes is the most important sign of liver disease, especially the liver failure due to Hep-B or Hep-C, which is the scariest one and can cause severe damage to the liver. Earliest liver cancer treatment should be done when these symptoms of liver cancer are observed.
Some other symptoms of liver cancer
Some more symptoms of liver cancer include fever, enlarged veins on the belly that are visible on skin, and abnormal bruising and bleeding. These are mostly seen in people with a fatty liver. The probability of liver failure or a deadly liver disease is the most when a person has fatty liver.
Many of the signs and symptoms of liver cancer can also be caused by other conditions, including other liver disease and problems.
How to test if the Symptoms of Liver Cancer are true?
If you have the symptoms of liver cancer, your doctor will try to find it out if they are caused by liver failure or some other liver disease. The liver cancer treatment requires the proper diagnosis of the liver disease.
Medical history and physical exam:
The doctors check your abdomen, skin and the yellowish color of the skin that are the common symptoms of liver cancer. If the symptoms of liver cancer are proved to be true through the physical examination, it proves the liver failure and so further more tests are taken for diagnosis before any liver cancer treatment.
This type uses x-rays, magnetic fields, or sound waves to create pictures inside your body (of a fatty liver). Doctors perform the Imaging tests to confirm the infections of liver cancer or any other liver disease inside the body.
It is the use of sound waves to create an image on a video screen, which can show the growing tumors in the liver causing liver failure.
CT scan helps in the internal abnormalities formed in the liver, that may help in identifying the liver disease, a fatty liver, or a liver tumor.
Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI):
MRI scans gives the images of tumors in the liver. MRI scans are very helpful in looking at liver tumors, and other liver disease. They can also be used to look fatty liver and also to look at the blood vessels in and around the liver.
The liver failure and the symptoms of liver cancer can easily be detected.
Angiography is explained as an x-ray test that shows the details of blood vessels. How does it help? Angiography helps in diagnosing the symptoms of liver cancer, and that too if the cancer is removable or not.
A bone scan assists in looking for the cancer that invaded into the bones of a body. These tests are conducted only when some symptoms of liver cancer such as bone pain, show up. Also doctors do this only if the person is eligible for a liver cancer treatment like liver transplant.
Some other tests to check the symptoms of liver cancer
To diagnose the symptoms of liver cancer some other tests like Laparoscopy, Biopsy, blood tests, blood chemistry studies, Alpha-fetoprotein blood tests are also there, which are useful to specify the symptoms of liver cancer.
The liver cancer or any other liver disease causes symptoms of liver cancer leading to liver failure; as discussed earlier liver is one of the most vital organs in our body. So it is a need to take a good care of this our liver.
How to prevent the Symptoms of Liver Cancer?
- Say no to cigarettes
- No alcohol consumption.
- Get Hepatitis B vaccine.
- Exercise is a necessity to keep the fatty liver away.
- Take a proper diet.
- Practice safe sex.
- Understanding the liver cancer treatment is as important as knowing the symptoms of liver cancer.
Liver cancer treatment
To overcome the complete liver failure and eradicate the symptoms of liver cancer a variety of liver cancer treatment are available. At this time surgery, which comprises either the removing of the infected part only, or complete liver transplant.
In the liver cancer treatment, doctors undergo the surgery of only the infected part of the liver is called Partial Hepatectomy. This operation is only for tumor that has not grown into the blood vessels. This option is only for those patients who don’t have a liver failure, any other liver disease, or a fatty liver.
This liver cancer treatment is suitable for patients with a healthy liver.
The most recommended liver cancer treatment is Liver Transplant. Still it’s the most expensive type of liver cancer treatment, but the safest one. In general, it is used to treat patients who show the initial symptoms of liver cancer and hold small tumors; the tumors that have not invaded nearby blood vessels.
Radiation therapy – Liver Cancer Treatment
In the Radiotherapy, the doctors use very high-energy rays to kill cancer cells. The specialists apply this type of liver cancer treatment where the tumors are present in the liver.
The success rate of this liver cancer treatment is mostly successful.
Chemotherapy for Liver Cancer
Chemotherapy (chemo) is the liver cancer treatment with drugs to destroy cancer cells. In the chemotherapy, the doctors inject the anti-cancer drugs into a vein or into the mouth of the patient, which circulate throughout the body via the bloodstream, making this liver cancer treatment extremely useful for cancers that have spread to distant organs showing the symptoms of liver cancer.
The doctors apply different types of liver cancer treatment for different types of liver cancer and liver disease. The level of symptoms of liver cancer also describes the recovery speed of the patients having liver failure. But always try to stay fit, as the fatty liver invites liver failure.
It’s up to the patients which liver cancer treatment they go for, to minimize the symptoms of liver cancer. The decision also depends on the cost of the liver cancer treatment.
I hope people going through this article have found it useful.
Stay hale and hearty.