Nowadays, drug abuse has become so common amongst the teens and youngsters. Teenagers generally used these substances for recreational purposes and after that they become addicted to that substance. They could not stop themselves by using these drugs.
Most of the teens try alcohol, cigarettes, illicit drug, and prescription drugs for few times and then stop taking it. But not all are same; some become addicted to those substances. Teens generally addicted to alcohol but some of them also addicted to marijuana and ecstasy.
This addiction may be harmful for their brain development or sometimes it may be life threatening. However, teens feel the effects but they still take those drugs. A teenager sometimes leads towards the crime due to the addiction. No any parent wants to see his child in drug addiction.
This addiction also harms the relationship of a child with his parent. The National Center on Addiction and Substance Abuse at Columbia University reported that about 5.7 millions of the middle school students use drugs at their school. Teens abuse illegal drugs and prescription drugs.
Most of the teens think that illegal drugs are more harmful as compared to the prescription drugs. So, they abuse prescription drugs. Prescription drugs are prescribed by the doctors for a particular disease and teens use these prescription drugs for their addiction.
They think that they will not harm them; after all they are prescribed by the doctors. So they may also stick to the prescription drugs.
After addiction, teen’s life becomes more secretive so parents need to know the signs of addiction in their children. Some of the symptoms will help parent in detecting the addiction are:
- Loss interest in school activities
- Gradual decrease in the grades
- Weight loss
- Become secretive
- Loss of appetite
- Wear covered clothes to hide the injection marks.
- Red eyes
- Some times teens also use eye drops continuously to hide the red eyes caused due to the drug addiction
A teen may become drug addictive to several causes such as:
- They think that they will stay fit with the alcohol.
- Some teens use illegal and prescription drugs so that they become fit in their friend circle.
- Some wants to taste or experience these substances.
- If any of the family member is addicted so it will also induce addiction in their teens and youngsters.
- Most of the teens use alcohol and drug by watching it in television.
- When teens are frustrated and want some peace in their life, they start taking that drug.
- To get rid of boredom.
If you found your teen addicted then firstly you should talk to your child so that he will feel closer to you. Do not try to skip the matter unless it will worsen the condition.
So try to solve the problem. And the main thing, don’t angry on your child otherwise he will become more aggressive. If you are not getting what to do then you may take help of doctor. Doctor will suggest you best.
Can you cure teenagers with drug problems?
Whenever parents show their teens become drug addicted so they become worried about them. Even some of them get angry with their teens but this not the time of aggression. Your teen needs your help and you have to put him back in his normal and healthy life. There are several options of treatment for the teenagers.
Of course, a teenage drug problem can be cure. If you want to cure your teen then you may take help of drug rehab. But you should assure the effectiveness of a particular drug rehab. If you want a drug rehab for your teen you may take help of doctor. If you find an appropriate drug rehab then the drug problem of your teen may cure by such treatments.
You may choose between inpatient and outpatient drug rehab. Expert will also help you in finding the right treatment. If you find a drug rehab then the expert will suggest you a particular type of treatment according to the severity of addiction in your teen.
Drug rehab provides the treatment according to an individual’s need. Some survey reported that the rate of teen drug problem has increased by 21.2 percent in the year 2009.
Drug addiction is a serious problem and an individual requires quick treatment. Drug rehab is best for the teenage. At this time, they require extra care and protection which a drug rehab may give him.
Inpatient drug rehabs provide complete facilities for the teen’s drug abuse. In this rehab, a patient has to stay in the center till the completion of the treatment. This rehab provides a treatment for all types of addiction such as addiction of illegal drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol etc. Inpatient drug rehab will keep a teen away from that environment. It will be a safe environment for his treatment.
A teen finds same person with the same problem in the inpatient drug rehab. It will boost his power. And he also wants to free from it. He will think that he is not alone with this problem. It will help him in building his self confidence.
Outpatient drug rehab is also good but an expert may determine it whether it is good for a teen or not. He will better diagnose the type of treatment. In this rehab, a patient needs not to stay in the rehab center. Treatment may complete in 30 days or it may extend to 90 days. Drug rehab center are situated in almost all the states of a country.
Different rehab provides different facilities for the teenager. It depends on you which center you want to choose. Since, we know that teenager drug abuse is increasing day by day so most of the people funds for such treatment and help the patient in his treatment. Also some health insurances help in teen drug rehab.
Since, we know that a teenager requires more than that of a treatment. So, these rehabs not only provide a treatment for the teen drug abuse but it provides various things such as counseling, motivational interview, recreational activities, recovery plans to prevent relapse, therapies etc. This will help an expert in finding the root cause of the teen drug abuse.
In adults, drug rehab helps a patient in bringing his back from addiction to a happy and sober but there is always a chance of relapse whereas, a teen drug problem can be cure completely with this drug rehab. And also there are least chances of relapse. Or we can say that a teenager drug problem can be cure completely.
How do drug problems affect teenage relationship with their family and friends?
No any parents want to see their teens in drug addiction. Drug addiction not only affects the health of a teen but it also affects the relationship with his family and friends. Drug addiction is like a disease in the teenager. And in most of the cases, teens refused to have drug abuse.
A teen become aggressive due to the addiction and he may show his anger on his family members. He also shows his aggression on a public place that may embarrass his friends and family members. Due to this behavior, parents get angry with the child that may spoil the peaceful environment of the house.
A teen may easily leads towards the crime due to drug addiction. Crime may be stealing, unprotected sex due to lack of knowledge. This unprotected sex may increase the chance of HIV or other genetic disorder in the teens. And a teen may steal money for buying illegal drugs and prescription drugs. His family may get ashamed because of him.
This also put bad impact on younger brother and sister of the teenager. They may also trap in this addiction. They think that their older sibling gets more attention for his addiction so that they will also receive more attention for that.
In short, whole family has to suffer due to the teen’s drug addiction. This drug addiction also lost the interest of the teenager in the school and home activities. He may spoil the work due to ignorant nature.
They also lie to their parents which is a bad habit in the teenagers. They may change their friend circle. They mostly involve in the friend circle having bad environment. A teen who involved in drug addiction also leave his good friends who may save him from such addiction.
His life becomes secretive for his family and friends. He does not want to share anything with his friends and family members.
Top ten countries with teenage drug problem.
- Iran: Iran seeks number one position in drug addiction. Iran involves in the world’s transportation of the heroin. Heroin transport from Afghanistan to Iran. Some researcher suggests that the condition of Iran is worst in drug addiction. More than three million people are addicted in Iran.
In the year 2009, it is estimated that approximately 1, 30, 000 new people addicted to the illegal drugs.
- United Kingdom: according to the report of Crime Survey for England and Wales, rate of drug addiction was high in the 16 to 24 yrs age group. Use of illegal drugs is increasing day by day in UK. Amongst these illegal drugs most common drug is cannabis.
Heroin and cocaine are also used by the people but the percentage of heroin and cocaine has decreased now, as compared to previous years. People also used ecstasy, amphetamines and ketamine.
- France: France is well known for his prescription drug abuse. People in France make excessive use of prescribed medications that may cause severe harm to their health. These medications are highly consumed by the people. It is estimated that approximately 8, 50,000 people are abusing prescription drugs.
- Slovakian: in the year 2010, a survey was done by the National Monitoring Centre for Drugs and it is reported that about 10.5% of the population used illegal drug cannabis, 1.9% ecstasy and 0.6% cocaine.
This survey is done over 15 to 34 yrs people and the percentage of drug abuse is found more in the teenager and youngsters.
- Russia: a survey done by the Federal drugs control agency (FSKN) stated that about 90,000 people had died in Russia due to drug abuse. And the age of the people were 15 to 34. This survey was done in the year 2003.
- Afghanistan: Afghanistan is number one in cultivating the most addictive drug heroin. Afghanistan is leading consumer of the illegal drug heroin. And the percentage of the drug abuse is increased now.
Opium use is also prevalent in this country. Kids and teens are also involved in this addiction. Even the percentage of addiction is more in teens and youngsters. 1 out of 9 people is using drug in Afghanistan including women.
- Canada: various researchers suggested that about 42% students have been using illegal drugs since last year, 83% students are facing alcohol poisoning due to binge drinking.
14 to 17 year olds teenagers are found to be alcohol addicted. Statistics Canada stated that about 60% of the drug users are 15 to 24 year olds.
- United States: in America, about 38,000 people died due to overdose of drugs. Over 20 millions of the Americans are the drug user. Tobacco and alcohol are used over the age of 12 yrs.
The most commonly used illegal drug in America is marijuana and cannabis. And 7, 00,000 people are using ecstasy. It is reported that about 20 percent of the Americans addicted to prescription drugs.
- Brazil: Brazil is leading consumer of crack cocaine. You may find kids, teens, mothers, fathers as illicit drug users. Brazil’s drug market is opened for 24 hours for the drug consumers.
In the year 2011, about 5,582 people are captured by the raids in which 734 were children. Brazil is a part of world’s transportation of cocaine and this is prime reason of high rate of consumption of cocaine in Brazil.
- Mexico: Mexico has been producing marijuana, heroin, and methamphetamine for many years drug trafficking is increasing day by day in this country which is a matter of concern.
In the year 2008, survey reported that about 4.5 millions of the Mexicans were drug users. And between the age of 12 to 25 yrs, 45% people are drug users. Cocaine is mostly taken in powdered form. Marijuana and methamphetamines are also widely used in this country.