Drug addiction is a condition in which an individual traps in the drug abuse. He wants to quit drug use but he is not able to quit it. Primarily, the use of drugs is according the will of person but after the excessive use of drugs, this use becomes involuntary for him. He could not control his cravings.
This involuntary function is known as physical dependency. Person become physically depends on the substance abuse. Drug may be illegal or legal. Illegal drugs are cannabis, ecstasy, marijuana, heroin, cocaine, ketamine, meth, LSD, etc. legal drugs are alcohol and nicotine. And you may found person addicted with both illegal and legal drugs.
Drug addiction is like a disease of brain as it directly affects the function of brain. You lost control over your body. In spite of being harmful effects, you do not quit it due to physical dependency. This drug addiction may cause serious damage to your body parts such as kidney, liver etc and also cause dangerous diseases in your body.
It may cause long term effects on your physical and mental state. Since the drug use affects your mental and physical state, these drugs also called as psychoactive drugs. People may take these drugs in the form of injections, inhalants, powders, tablets (prescription pills), liquid (alcohol) etc.
These drugs directly or indirectly affect the neurotransmitter (dopamine) of the brain. Neurotransmitters control the emotion, movement and feelings of a person. Since neurotransmitters damaged due to drug abuse so the proper functioning of brain is also affected. And a person may loss his control over the body.
You must think that what compels a person using these drugs. So let me tell you, there are several reasons responsible for a person’s drug addiction:
- There is a great impact of environment on an individual’s personality. If a person born in such environment so there is always a chance to have drug abuse in that person.
- If any family member of the person is addicted so that person may also become drug addicted
- A person may addicted to stay fit in his friend circle.
- Teens and youngsters start taking drugs through clubs and parties.
- Some social and cultural activities also enhance drug abuse. For example in foreign countries, some of the dishes are cooked by using wine and alcohol as main ingredients.
- Excessive and unnecessary use of prescription pills.
Different types of drugs induce different signs and symptom in an individual such as if a person is using cannabis then we may observe following symptoms in the person.
- Flushing face
- Redness in eyes
- Dry mouth
- Loss of coordination
- High pulse rate
- Person becomes stupor
If a person is using derivation of cannabis the symptoms are:
- Increased in pulse rate
- Increased in blood pressure
If a person is using barbiturates drug then the symptoms are:
- Loss of coordination
- Slow breathing
If a person is using cocaine, meth and other drugs then the symptoms are:
- Pupils become dilated
- Blood pressure fluctuation
- Improper heart beat
- Insomniac condition
- Become aggressive
- Moody etc.
If a person is using hallucinogens then the symptoms are:
- Fluctuation in heart rate
- Loss of coordination
- Loss of movement
- Imagine many things around himself
- Overdose may lead to coma
If a person is addicted to inhalants then the symptom are:
If a person is addicted to painkillers then the symptoms are:
- Loss of reflexes
- Constriction of pupil
- Excessive sweating
Sometimes overdoses of drugs may leads to death. So if a person is suffering from drug addiction, he should consult a doctor as soon as possible.
Procedure to treat drug addiction
If you are facing serious drug addiction then you should meet a doctor. A doctor will help you in curing your drug addiction. Sometimes an individual stop taking these drugs by his own and he observe improvements in his health after quitting drugs.
Drug addiction can also be cure with some treatments. These drug addiction treatments help an individual in killing his addicted life and give him a new sober and happy life. When a person agrees that he is drug addicted then his treatment starts from that point. This is the new step of him towards his new life.
Some people think that whether the drug addiction treatment is effective or not. But research shows that drug addiction is a brain disease and it can be cure by treatments. And also the treatments vary from person to person. It depends on the degree of addiction in a person.
Drug addiction treatment generally takes place in the several steps:
- Evaluation: In this step, an expert chooses the right treatment for the patient. He also assures that whether a person requires a treatment or not. A doctor may decide what kind of treatment a person should opt for.
- Detoxification: This is the main step of the drug addiction treatment. In this step, doctor removes the traces of drugs from the patient’s body. In this a patient’s body is free from drugs. Different medications are given for detoxification.
But this also a danger process as more medications are given to the patient that may cause overdose in the patient’s body that’s why detoxification is always done in hospitals.
- Therapies and counseling: After detoxification, different therapies are also given to the patient to know the root cause of drug addiction. Sometimes person feel depressive due to addiction that may result in committing suicide so behavioral and motivational counseling are also given to the patient. In cognitive- behavioral therapy, a patient has to avoid the situation that is responsible for his addiction.
- Medications: Medications are given to the patient to overcome the effects of withdrawal symptoms that caused due to detoxification. Medications are also given for the prevention of relapse. Relapse is common in addictive patients. But a person has to stick with his treatment.
- Long term recovery plans: drug addiction treatment may take long time, so a person has to stick with the recovery plants even after the completion of his treatment.
Different types of drug addiction treatment are also available that a patient may opt for such as:
- Inpatient drug rehab: in this type of treatment, a patient has to stay in the rehab centers till the completion of the treatment.
- Outpatient drug rehab: in this type of treatment, a patient may leave to his home after taking treatment.
Top 10 drug addiction treatment centers in Canada
You may find almost all type of drug addiction in Canada. This may be inpatient, outpatient, sober living houses, support groups, addiction counselors etc.
Some best drug addiction treatment centers use the expert trained from the top of the world ranch treatment center for effective and successful treatment. Some of the top drug addiction treatment centers are listed below:
- Canadian center for addictions (CCFA), north York, ON M3J 0H1, Canada: this center provides treatment for both drug and alcohol addiction. Experts here provide an appropriate treatment to the addicted person. They provide proper treatment to each and every individual.
- Sunshine coast health center, 2174 Fleury Rd, Powell River, BC V8A 0H8, Canada: this center provides a promising treatment for the drug addiction. This center also provides inpatient treatment for the men.
- Ontario addiction treatment centers (OATC), 40 Lindsay St S, Lindsay, ON K9V 2L8, Canada: this was set up in the year 1995 and this provides treatment to approximately ten thousands people everyday. Here experts are highly dedicated towards their work.
- Edgewood treatment center, 2121 Boxwood Rd, Nanaimo, BC V9S 4L2, Canada: this center provide both inpatient and outpatient addiction treatment. And it also provides treatment for both drug and alcohol abuse.
- Homewood health center, 150 Delhi St, Guelph, ON N1E 6K9, Canada: this center was set up in the year 1883 and is well known for its facilities. It provides facility of 300 beds for patients. And it is one of the leading centers for addiction treatment.
- Searidge foundation, Upper Clements, NS, Canada: it provides treatment for both men and women. It also provides exercise and swimming pool for the patients.
- Orchard recovery center, 811 Grafton Rd, Bowen Island, BC V0N 1G2, Canada: it provides wide variety of addiction treatments. It also provides extra facilities such as yoga, art, and music therapies. It also provides a peaceful environment to the patients.
- Andy’s house treatment center, 3360 Rue Notre Dame #25, Lachine, QC H8T 3E2,Canada:it provides treatment for both drug and alcohol addiction. It also provides counseling to each and every patient.
- John volken academy, 6911 King George Blvd, Surrey, BC, V3W5A1 Canada: it provides effective residential addiction treatment. It also provides behavioral and motivational counseling. It provides highly effective treatment for the addiction.
- Freedom from addiction, 33 Victoria St, Aurora, ON L4G 1P9, Canada: it is also one of the leading centers for drug and alcohol addiction. It provides treatment for both men and women. It provides counseling, relapse program and therapies for alcohol and drug addiction.
How much does drug addiction treatment cost?
Whenever we opt for any treatment we have to think about the cost of the treatment. By knowing the cost, we may determine whether we can bear it or not.
And after such estimation we opt for a particular type of treatment that may fit in our budget. However, an expert may suggest you better treatment by assessing the addiction of the patient. But final decision is always yours.
Cost of drug addiction treatment depends on various factors. It may be vary for the types of addiction treatment. Generally a residential or inpatient addiction treatment is more costly because in this treatment one has to stay in the rehab center, and it will take more money of the patient.
Different facilities are provided by the different centers in the residential treatment. It may low budget or luxurious for an individual. In outpatient addiction treatment, an individual may leave home daily after taking treatment.
If you are going to choose a luxurious treatment then you have to pay high amount for your treatment because in this you are going to pay for the amenities given by the center.
Or you may choose a low budget treatment according to your choice. But there is not any compromise with your addiction treatment. This cost varies due to amenities provide by the different centers.
Cost also depends on the duration of the treatment. If time duration of treatment is about 90 days then the cost may be under your budget as compared to one year treatment which is quiet expensive and out of your budget.
But if we talk about an average cost then the cost for luxury addiction treatment may range from $80,000 to $120,000, for low cost treatment it may range from $10,000 to $20,000.
In general residential addiction treatment may range from $7,000 to $10,000. But this cost varies from center to center. Location of the center may also define the cost of the treatment. Suppose a center is situated on hilly area so it may charge more money for such a lovely view. Center situated in the core region of the city may charge less due to ordinary location.
If you are not able to pay the fees then don’t be sad, let me tell you that there are many organiztions and social service institutions that provide addiction treatments free of cost. You may take help of these institutions.
Although, you have to wait a little for getting this treatment and it require some formalities too. But if you are not able to pay such cost by your own then these institutions will help you a lot. These institutions provide detoxification, counseling, therapies and all the facilities to the patient.