Causes of thyroid disease, thyroid nodules, thyroid storm and thyroid cancer are very vast but you must go through them one by one and understand them as well. Knowing about thyroid is just like knowing the major functioning of your body. This is because thyroid and its hormone play a vital role in the body growth and mechanism. But the causes of thyroid diseases are equally important to understand.
I said this because thyroid problems are the hidden ones. It is not easy to understand the causes of thyroid issues, because their signs and reasons are in disguise. They open up late many a times.
What is the thyroid gland?
“The thyroid gland is a small, butterfly shaped gland, situated in the base of the neck, in the human body. Adam’s apple is another name it is known as.”
The thyroid gland is a very significant gland in our body’s endocrine system. It forms, stores and releases the thyroid hormone in the body, which plays a very important role in the metabolism and growth of a person, and many other vital functions in the body.
But, with these vital functions there comes some thyroid problems as well. Thus, it is also very important to know these problems and causes of thyroid diseases. Some of the thyroid problems arise due to high production of thyroid hormone, and some causes of thyroid problems are low secretion of the hormone.
Let’s understand what are the causes of thyroid and thyroid diseases?
What are the Causes of Thyroid?
Most vulnerable in the body of a person is its mind, which gets affected by the good and bad things easily in his life. Thus, we start taking stress of those tiny little things harming our health too. Stress is something that may harm our body in many ways.
When the day is stressful we start feeling sluggish, depressed, not talking to anyone and harm our own selves. On the other hand, stress also is the causes of thyroid to us. We start our day rushing to the office, rushing for targets, race in the deadlines and all; that creates tremendous stress upon our lives.
Friends! The bad news is stress is one of the main causes of thyroid. The more we stress ourselves, the more we create thyroid problems, and hormonal imbalance. There are many more causes of thyroid apart from stress.
- Stress as discussed is among the main causes of thyroid.
- Next, to be considered is being over-weight, or obesity induces thyroid problems. Thus, being one of the main causes of thyroid.
- Having a poor lifestyle, being sluggish, no balanced diet, more intake of water and lack of exercise are in the list of the causes of thyroid in females and males. You need to take care of it.
- Eating junk foods is also among the major causes of thyroid.
- Family history may also come under the causes of thyroid, because if it is in your genes, no one can help it.
- Deficiency of Iodine can create thyroid issues, mostly.
- A pregnant lady has also the chances of suffering from the causes of thyroid problems than the normal ones.
The Thyroid Disorders and the Causes of Thyroid
There are mainly 2 types of thyroid problems. Though there can be different causes of thyroid diseases. They vary in their symptoms and characters as well.
- Hashimoto’s disease
- Graves’ disease
Hashimoto’s disease is a genetic disease of the thyroid gland. This and many are also the causes of thyroid problems, like hypothyroidism. Hashimoto’s is the Chronic Lymphocytic Thyroiditis.
It is more common cause of thyroid in females of middle age. It is the one that deteriorates the immunity of the human body and the thyroid gland majorly. Thus, it also ruins the hormone production capacity of thyroid glands.
Its symptoms are not easily visible, and the cause of thyroid problem here may vary. This disease is pretty more common in women. There might be many causes of thyroid in females.
Let’s see first the symptoms that appear are:
Fatigue: the body starts feeling low and out of energy
Depression: when the person starts feeling low and highly depressed, it might be the onset of Hashimoto’s
Constipation: the indigestion can also be the main causes of thyroid in females as well as males. When this becomes constant, you need a checkup.
Putting on the body weight: when the body weight starts increasing drastically, it is a high time to go to doctor, for the diagnosis.
Dryness in the skin: the skin starts paling and becomes dry when a person suffers from Hashimoto’s disease.
Hair loss and thinning: Hashimoto’s also shows the signs of hair loss and thin hair gradually.
Continuous periods: females facing this thyroid problem suffer from irregular or continuous menstruation. Which can further be added in causes of thyroid in females.
Goiter: enlargement of the thyroid glands is said to be Goiter, this is also a sign of Hashimoto’s disease.
What are the causes of thyroid problem – Hashimoto’s Disease?
Hashimoto’s Disease has many got many factors as causes of thyroid.
- Blood sugar imbalance – when the blood sugar level is irregular it may become among the causes of thyroid issues.
- Pregnancy – pregnancy is one of the main causes of thyroid in females.
- Iodine deficiency – the deficiency of Iodine mostly commonly comes in the causes of thyroid disorders.
- Having a family history – the genetic features and family histories explain the character of genes showing the easiness of autoimmune attacks. They are also in the causes of thyroid in females and male both.
- Bad digestive system – this is also one of the causes of thyroid.
- Any other kind of infection, and
- Weak immune system – the last but the most common in the causes of thyroid is a weak immune system.
- Hashimoto’s disease is caused by the bad functioning of the immune system. Here due autoimmune feature the immune cells start attacking the thyroid cells. Thus, ceasing the functionality of the glands, these are the main causes of thyroid problems.
This can completely destruct the thyroid glands. The immune cells, i.e., lymphocytes destroy the thyroid cells, causing their inflammation of the gland. Hence, Hashimoto’s is also known as “Chronic Lymphocytic Thyroiditis”.
How can one treat the Hashimoto’s Disease?
The thyroid hormone level helps in testing the causes of thyroid. Thus, pathology uses the blood samples in the test to identify the issue. In this case, the blood samples also present some antibodies due to autoimmune feature in the glands.
Thus, the Hashimoto’s disease is detected through a blood test.
The exact treatment for Hashimoto is still under research, but some synthetic hormone medicines, can at least seize the symptoms and causes of thyroid disorders.
If it is an acute stage of Hashimoto’s then, surgery becomes a necessity.
The disease is named after the doctor who discovered it 150 years back. Graves’ disease is also among the causes of thyroid problems, like Hyperthyroidism. Similar to Hashimoto’s, Graves’ is also an autoimmune disease that is genetic.
The Graves’ as we know is the causes of thyroid problems in a very aggressive manner. As in this disorder, the immune cells attack the thyroid glands causing over production of thyroid hormone. Therefore, Graves’ and Hashimoto’s are similar in initial stage, but absolutely opposite in the inference.
Same as Hashimoto’s, Graves’ is also the more common in causes of thyroid problems in females. But, here affects the women with age of 20-30. Due to these disorders, the causes of thyroid tend to show opposite symptoms, because of the increase of thyroid hormone in the blood.
Fast heart beat – the heart rate speeds up, due to the increased TSH
Anxiety – the patients become more anxious and restless.
Fatigue – the body starts feeling very weak
Hand tremors – hand movements pace up, causing accidents
Excess of sweat – the sweating increases as the metabolism fastens up drastically.
Diarrhea – the increased bowel movements may cause diarrhea.
Sleeplessness – this causes lack of sleep also
Disturbed menses – disturbed thyroid hormone level causes disturbance in the periods in females.
Bulging eyes – the eyes bulge out in the Graves’ disease.
What are the overall causes of thyroid diseases – Graves’ disease?
The main causes of thyroid in the case of Graves’ are:
- Genes – the genes or a family history is among the main causes of thyroid. If the genes shows more vulnerability of the body to autoimmune attacks then Graves’ can happen easily.
- Gender – the gender is a big factor. The causes of thyroid in females have more chances to occur than n males.
- Emotional stress – the stress triggers the causes of thyroid.
- Pregnancy – a pregnant lady is more prone to the causes of thyroid than the one who is not pregnant.
- Infection – the Graves’ disease are caused easily to those who have infection of any other kind of disease that is making their immune weak.
Graves’ diagnosis and Treatment
The physical exam that shows enlarged thyroid neck and bulging eyes indicate the Graves’ disease.
Blood tests also help in the detection of Graves’ disease.
In terms of treatment, the Graves’ disease has no specific treatment, but some methods can help in the cure.
Injecting anti-thyroid medicine that helps in killing excess thyroid hormones.
Radioactive iodine therapy, which destroys the part of thyroid that is in excess.
Surgery is the final permanent solution to remove the thyroid gland, which is not in a good condition.
If the Graves ’ disease gets no treatment, it may cause heart failure or brittle bones.
Causes of Thyroid Cancer
Thyroid cancer is the most dangerous disease that the thyroid glands can obtain. Though the symptoms of thyroid cancer are not easily seen in the patient, still a regular checkup may help in early and proper treatments. It is a rare type of cancer, but the most common in cancer of the endocrine system.
The most common but crucial causes of thyroid cancer in people.
- The first and foremost is the stress, because stress commonly comes under all the causes of thyroid issues. The problems begin from here only, and jump up to the causes of thyroid cancer.
- Exposure is also among the causes of thyroid, because the high-energy rays frequently or for a prolonged time lead to cancerous cells growth in the body. So, a person going through x-ray or CT scans of the neck must take care, and should not stay in it for a long time.
- Smoking is directly or indirectly linked with the thyroid cancer. The chain smokers are specially more prone to this cancer, as well as the lung cancer.
- A family history is also one of the causes of thyroid cancer in humans. If there are genes indicating prior thyroid issues or cancer in the family, it may be caused to that person as well.
- Obesity may also lead to malfunctioning of the thyroid glands and in the severe cases it may lead to the causes of thyroid cancer.
- Genetic mutations if ever faced due to radioactive elements, a chemical or biological change or something that leads to mutation can be in the causes of thyroid cancer.
- Gender influences majorly the causes of thyroid cancer. Women come in more as the thyroid cancer patients than the men do.
- Diabetics are at high risk of the causes of thyroid cancer, because of the low functionality of the glands than those in the normal ones.
Let’s see what the causes of thyroid in females are?
Causes of Thyroid in Females
As we all know that the gender of a person is mainly responsible in the causes of thyroid and affects women more. So, thyroid is more seen in females more than in males. The gender is just one reason, now it is more important to know what the causes of thyroid in females are?
Ladies! You should be more aware of this issue, as in the present time, lives are full of stress and we have least time to connect with our health and our own self. In the race of life, money and fame, health is being neglected.
In India almost every third women is facing thyroid related issues. I hope you don’t want to be the one.
Some very important causes of thyroid in females
- Any thyroid problem in the past
- A surgery in the past related to the thyroid glands or some therapy
- Suffering from Anemia or Low BP
- Pregnancy can also be among the major causes of thyroid in females
- Stressful life is the main causes of thyroid in females
- The age is a big factor. Though now-a-days thyroid problems attack young girls too, but with increasing age the risk of the causes of thyroid in females increases.
- Women who are used to smoking, or taking alcohol are very much prone to thyroid
- Poor lifestyle, no exercise and having most of the junk foods lead to the causes of thyroid in females.
Girls! You need to take care of your health, because you make a family. If you are not fit and healthy, how will you take care of your loved ones properly? It’s a high time to create an awareness in you and every girl around you.
Causes of Thyroid Gland Enlargement
Thyroid enlargement means the Thyroid disease Goiter. Having a goiter doesn’t necessarily mean that your thyroid gland isn’t working normally. Even when it’s enlarged, your thyroid may produce normal amounts of hormones.
Goiter is a non-cancerous causes of thyroid problems. It is just and enlargement of the thyroid gland, caused due to iodine deficiency. Goiter is affecting more than half of the population of the Iodine-deficient countries.
The causes of thyroid issues here are:
- Iodine deficiency in the diet causes the glands to enlarge causing malfunctioning.
- In some cases the thyroid nodules, solitary nodular thyroid and multiple nodular thyroid are also the main causes of thyroid enlargement, i.e. , Goiter.
- Thyroid cancer may also end up to the causes of thyroid enlargement due to the irregular growth of tumor in the glands.
- Gender of the person comes under the causes of thyroid problems and goiter mostly. A female is at high risk of goiter than a male is.
- Age is also one of the causes of thyroid disorders in males and females both. Though it can affect anyone at any age, still the risk increases with age.
- Family history and genetic composition that represent more prone person to thyroid issues, face the causes of thyroid and goiter more than those lacking this trait.
- Pregnancy may also come under the causes of thyroid and goiter.
- The hypothyroidism may cause goiter to happen.
The symptoms of Goiter is not that severe, still pretty noticeable.
- Swelling in the neck, due to enlargement of thyroid glands
- Hoarseness in the voice of the person.
- Trouble in breathing and swallowing food
- Neck pain that is persistent.
- Coughing or wheezing continuously
How to Diagnose Goiter and Treat it?
Goiter is diagnosed through the physical exams, checking swelling in the neck.
Blood test also help in understanding if there is goiter and if it’s a risky one.
Goiter needs treatment in a high risk situation.
Surgery is performed when the case is acute, and no other solution is possible. Because here the thyroid gland becomes completely damaged.
Another way of treating the causes of thyroid is giving up small doses of Iodine to the patient, this may help in the recovery soon. Though radioactive iodine therapy is harmful in this case, as it might become the causes of thyroid issues that is more aggressive.
Causes of Underactive Thyroid Gland or Hypothyroidism
In the case of hypothyroidism, the glands become least active, or underactive. Therefore, they secrete very low quantity of thyroid hormone, creating an imbalance, which are the causes of thyroid issues that are very harmful to the body. Let’s see what the causes of underactive thyroid gland are:
- Exposure to high energy radiations: if this is prolonged in the neck area, it may cause the malfunctioning of the glands, that’s the causes of underactive thyroid gland.
- Radioactive Iodine treatment: this therapy is only for hyperthyroidism patients. But if given to a normal person, it may lead to destruction of thyroid hormone producing cells, that comes in the causes of underactive thyroid gland or hypothyroidism.
- A thyroid surgery: if you have ever undergone a thyroid surgery then it can be the causes of underactive thyroid gland, as during surgery some of the hormone producing parts get damaged or removed.
- The Iodine deficiency: if a person consumes a low iodine diet, the thyroid hormone producing cells get retarded in producing the hormones. As iodine is the main element to produce TH in the glands, so comes under the main causes of underactive thyroid gland.
- Hashimoto’s Disease: this disease is also among the common causes of underactive thyroid gland, because it kills the gland cells which produce thyroid hormones; through autoimmune feature.
These are the main causes of underactive thyroid that everyone should take care of. Let’s learn what the causes of overactive thyroid gland are?
Causes of Overactive Thyroid gland
Hyperthyroidism or overactive thyroid gland stands for the phenomenon, when the thyroid glands secretes too much of thyroid hormone, causing the over activity of the gland. There may be many causes of overactive thyroid gland.
- The Graves’ disease: this disease can attack the thyroid gland cells, an autoimmune disorder, leading to more production of thyroid hormone by remaining active cells. This is among the major causes of overactive thyroid gland.
- The excess of Iodine: this runs the gland to produce excess of TH that are the causes of overactive thyroid gland.
- Thyroiditis: inflammation of gland cells leads to more production of thyroid hormones by cells, causing hyperthyroidism.
- Tumors in thyroid or pituitary glands: the formation of tumor may lead to more stimulation to produce the TH, which comes under the main causes of overactive thyroid gland.
Symptoms and causes of thyroid glands in hypo and hyperthyroidism are entirely different, one contrary to the other.
Let’s move to the causes of thyroid nodules in the glands and its symptoms.
Causes of Thyroid Nodules
The thyroid nodules are the extra outgrowth inside the gland. This is also one of the serious causes of thyroid in females and males. Thyroid nodules may count in 1% of men and in 5% of women, in a good iodine-obtaining country.
The nodules can be in solid or fluid-filled form. Most of them are tumorous type and cancerous are in the least count. While these nodules are present in almost every second person around, but it is minimal in size and not noticeable. Some of the nodules can also produce thyroid hormones.
What are the Causes of Thyroid Nodules?
Thyroid nodules are an extra outgrowth in the thyroid glands. They not much worrisome, but should take care when the size and density increases. Major causes of thyroid nodules are:
- Deficiency of Iodine in the body is one of the main causes of thyroid nodules.
- Gender of the person, generally the count in the causes of thyroid nodules is more in women, than in men.
- The age also increases the risk of nodules
- Researchers say Hashimoto’s disease is also one of the main causes of thyroid nodules in people.
What are the Symptoms of arising in the body due to Thyroid Nodules?
Though the symptoms do not appear in the early stage in the causes of thyroid nodules, but as they grow larger some symptoms bump up. They are:
- Swelling in the neck
- Wheezinees in breathing and trouble swallowing food
- High pulse rate
- Continuous neck pain
- Nervousness and fear
- Increase in appetite
- Weight loss
Many more symptoms are there, which may vary from the above one or add up to them, aggravating the causes of thyroid nodules. Let’s see now how to diagnose and cure this problem.
Thyroid nodules Diagnosis and Treatment
To diagnose the causes of thyroid problems, the nodules can be checked. The ways are:
- Physical exam, to check the swelling in the neck and lump type sensing there.
- CT scan of the neck also shows nodules in the thyroid.
- Blood test helps in identifying if there is some nodules in the neck or not.
- The Biopsy done through needle is still the best way to recognize the nodules in the thyroid and also if they may be the causes of thyroid cancer. If the nodules are cancerous; their earliest treatment is a must.
Though the thyroid nodules are not life-threatening, they still remain constant in the glands permanently. The doctors check the nodules; if it is not increasing in its size and non-cancerous then it is not removed.
But for those nodules that, constantly increase in their size or can be cancerous, risk the life and they are big causes of thyroid cancer, so the treatment is a must then.
The treatment used here is:
Surgery – if the thyroid gland is occupied by the nodules only, then removal of the gland is required, to stop further growth.
Radioactive iodine therapy – Through the radioactive iodine therapy is used to kill the cancerous nodules tissues, which can be harmful if not destroyed. This is used initially, then surgery is not required.
Chemotherapy – the chemo is the treatment in need, if the nodules invade into the other parts of the body causing cancer there as well. The only the anti-cancer drugs may kill the cancerous nodules cells.
Causes of Thyroid Storm
What is the Thyroid Storm?
“Thyroid storm is the term that describes the highly fast production of the thyroid hormone from the glands. It is the most severe form of Hyperthyroidism. If hyperthyroidism is not treated it may lead to highly increased respiration, heart rate, breathing and other vital functions.”
Thus, this may lead to the death of the patient as well. Here is all what are the causes of thyroid storm?
- Very high intake of Iodine
- Not treating the overactive thyroid gland
- Severe form of hyperthyroidism
- Emotional stress in a hyperthyroid patient
- No treatments and long-time negligence in the treatment of the causes of overactive thyroid glands.
These causes of thyroid storm if left untreated may lead to heart failure or be fatal to the patient. it becomes an emergency case to treat priory.
Papillary Thyroid Carcinoma
The cancerous or malignant form of Papillary thyroid cancer is known as Papillary Carcinoma. It is also termed as the Metastatic Papillary thyroid cancer. It is one of the most common types of thyroid cancer, appearing in 80% of the thyroid cancer cases.
The papillary carcinoma causes of thyroid, occurs due to the uncontrolled growth of cancer cells in the thyroid glands into a solid mass, called tumor. When this tumor, breaks up it starts spreading and invading all inside the thyroid glands and by the time invades in the other nearby organs to.
The patient with papillary carcinoma has a very high cure rate, only 100% are the chances of saving the patient, that too through chemotherapy, here the cancer infects only the lymph nodes near the glands, or rarely lungs and bones of the body.
What are the characteristic features of Papillary Carcinoma?
- The risk age is from 30 to 50 years
- It is the causes of thyroid in females more than in the males
- The causes of thyroid cancer here go more than 75% to the high energy radiation exposure
- It has a high cure rate, may be up to 100%
- The invasion goes into the surrounding lymph nodes, and may reach out to the lungs or bones in some cases.
This was all about the main thyroid diseases and their causes. I hope this article is going to be very useful to you.
Stay hale and hearty.
Latest posts by Kamna Singh (see all)
- How to Exfoliate Face- Method and Benefits - 24/11/2017
- Homemade Onion Hair Oil – Benefits and Uses - 11/11/2017
- Thyroidectomy Surgery Procedure Steps Scars Diet Types & Recovery complications - 14/10/2017