Finding it difficult to shed weight due to thyroid problems?
Home remedies for thyroid can help a great extent to manage and solve thyroid problems easily. Home remedies for thyroid includes some changes in life style to follow regularly. Patients can find relief from the problems of thyroid, by making changes in food habits and adding some physical activity.
Home remedies for thyroid
Thyroid problems are many. One has to choose the appropriate home remedies for thyroid according to the disease.
Hypothyroidism and hyperthyroidism are the most commonly seen conditions. They are extremely opposite in its causes and symptoms.
How effective are home remedies for thyroid problems
Generally on conventional method of treatment, patient have to take medications for lifelong in most cases. The basic theory is to maintain the level of thyroid hormone stable in the body. It is also noticed that in most cases only maintaining the hormone level may not be sufficient to get relief from its symptoms. Home remedies for thyroid take care of that part very well.
What is thyroid
Thyroid is a butterfly shaped gland seen in the front side, on the base of our neck. Thyroid gland produces three types of hormones. They are;
- T3 (Triiodothyronine)
- T4 (Thyroxin hormone)
Thyroid hormone is having a very important role in controlling all the metabolic activities of the body. Improper functioning of thyroid gland affects the normal rate of all basic body functions, temperature balance and protein synthesis.
Level of thyroid hormone in the body is controlled by pituitary gland of brain. Action of thyroid is controlled by the Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH) secreted from pituitary gland.
Different types of thyroid problems are there and difficulties related with each one are different from the other. Common disease seen related with thyroid are;
- Thyroid Nodules
- Thyroid cancer
Let us see what these diseases are;
Hyperthyroidism: In this disorder, thyroid gland produces excess quantity of thyroxin hormone, which is required for normal functioning. Presence of excess thyroid hormone causes unnecessary speeding up of metabolic activities.
Hypothyroidism: The thyroid gland fails to produce required quantity of thyroxin for basic functioning of the body. This may result in a low speed metabolism and feeling of lack of energy.
Thyroiditis: this disorder is swelling of the thyroid gland. It mainly arises due to autoimmune diseases. Thyroiditis is mainly Hashimoto’s thyroiditis, Sub acute thyroiditis, Silent thyroiditis and Post partum thyroiditis.
Thyroid nodules: Extra growths seen in thyroid gland are thyroid nodules. They are not cancerous. Most of the cases they shrink by themselves after a certain period. Nodules may cause extra production of thyroxin hormone.
Goiter: Enlargement of thyroid gland is goiter. When iodine is not sufficient in daily diet for thyroxin hormone synthesis, the gland enlarges to capture more iodine. Goiter is an iodine deficiency disease normally seen in low iodine geographical areas like non-coastal regions.
Thyroid cancer: It is the cancerous change in the thyroid gland. They are mainly three types of cancers of thyroid gland. They are;
- Papillary thyroid carcinoma
- Medullary thyroid carcinoma
- Follicular thyroid carcinoma
Home remedies for under active and low thyroid
Under active and low thyroid conditions are the disorders in which, the gland is unable to produce sufficient quantity of thyroxin hormone for daily functions. This condition is Hypothyroidism.
Patient will be suffering from low energy, fatigue, thinning of hair and weight gain in this disease. A high cholesterol level, muscle pain, depression, puffy face or general water retention are also seen in such cases.
So many home remedies for thyroid are available to control the hypothyroidism. Consumption of certain food items is restricted and some others are encouraged mainly in home remedies for thyroid.
Cruciferous vegetables: These are vegetables mainly include different varieties of cabbage, cauliflower, broccoli, kale, brussels, turnip, raddish, kohlrabi, rutabaga, arugula and water cress etc. A compound called goitrogen, which disrupt thyroid hormone production, is present in these vegetables. Consumption of raw cruciferous vegetables should be strictly restricted to below 5gm/day is one of the main home remedies for thyroid. Cooking helps to destroy goitrogens to some extent.
Soya: Hypothyroid patients should limit the intake of soya as home remedies for thyroid. It is very good source of protein but, they are rich in goitrogens. All varieties of soya have thyroid suppressing activity.
Tapioca: It is a root vegetable, normally popular in southern regions and north east of India. It is also high in its goitrogen content.
But the practice of having cooked tapioca with fish curry says to be fine. Cooking destroys all goitrogen content and when it is coupled with sea food it is quite safe.
Gluten: It is a protein found mainly in wheat. In patients having autoimmune hypothyroid disease, this gluten confuses our immune system with thyroid hormone. It leads to more destruction of thyroid hormone by the body itself. Avoiding gluten containing grains like wheat is another home remedies for thyroid.
Seafood: Sea vegetables as well as sea fishes are highly recommended for patients with hypothyroidism as home remedies for thyroid. All sea foods contain enough of iodine, selenium and zinc. All these are main components for thyroid hormone synthesis.
Coconut oil: Switching in to coconut oil is said to be a good home remedies for thyroid. It is easily digestible. Chemical structure of coconut oil is very similar to our digestive enzymes. It gets easily absorbed in the body to give more energy. It also helps to maintain normal cholesterol level.
Iodized salt: Iodized salt is generally approved home remedies for thyroid. People should make it sure to use iodized salt to prevent thyroid diseases. Salt should be kept closed in a nontransparent container. Iodine may get sublimed with light and air.
Apple cider vinegar: Apple cider vinegar is very good to boost metabolism and for detoxification.
Intake of apple cider vinegar is good home remedies for thyroid because it improves energy level. Including it in pickle or in salad dressing may help for thyroid functioning.
Fish oils: These are good supplements containing selenium and iodine for proper thyroid functioning. It helps in water retention problems as well as over all good health. Before taking it as home remedies for thyroid, one has to consult a doctor for its dose.
Vitamin D: Level of Vitamin D is found to be low in patient with hypothyroidism. It also affects the absorption of calcium. Taking vitamin D supplements as home remedies for thyroid improve the condition and help the patient to save from a possible osteoporosis in future.
Vitamin B complex: Slow metabolism is a main symptom in hypothyroidism. B vitamins are helpers of digestive enzymes, that they are good in speeding up digestion. So including vitamin B complex supplement works as effective home remedies for thyroid in hypothyroidism.
Calcium: In patients having thyroid disorders, absorption of calcium may not be proper. It can lead to a low density of calcium in bones over a period of time and leads to a condition called osteoporosis. Calcium supplementation is good home remedies for thyroid especially in women.
Guggul: It is a gum like substance obtained from the tree Commiphora Mukul. This is said to have thyroid stimulating action and also helps in water retention problems. One has to consult a doctor before taking it as it may react with other medications if any.
Aswagandha: It is a medicinal plant normally used in ayurvedic medicine preparations.
This herb has properties to fight with low energy problems, boosting immune system and reduce swelling of the gland.
Haritaki, himali jeera and mace: It is used as a curative home remedies for thyroid. Make a mix of powder with equal quantities of haritaki, himali jeera and (covering of nutmeg). Take one table spoon of this powder and mix with honey to have it. This should be continued for 21 to 30 days as home remedies for thyroid to cure problems completely.
Stay stress free: Remaining always in stressed out state is a main reason for hypothyroidism. One has to practice stress relieving yoga or meditation as home remedies for thyroid in hypothyroidism cure.
Exercise: Regular intensive exercise is highly recommended as home remedies for thyroid in hypothyroidism. Exercise improves strength of the muscles and help to reduce muscle aches. It improves the bone health, depression and over all well being.
Sunlight: Exposure to sunlight half an hour in the morning or evening is home remedies for thyroid in hypothyroidism. It helps in synthesis of vitamin D and calcium assimilation.
Exposure to toxic substances: Try to avoid vegetables and grains containing pesticides, and artificially coloured or flavored food items. Avoid junk food as far as possible. Stop buying packet masala containing preservatives and opt for home made one. These are one of the main home remedies for thyroid to be taken care of.
Turmeric: Having a teaspoon of pure homemade turmeric powder mixed with honey or milk regularly is a wonderful home remedies for thyroid.
Home remedies for hyperthyroidism
In hyperthyroidism, patients are having problems with overactive thyroid. Thyroid hormone (thyroxin) levels will be high in the body and these extra quantities create a lot of problems to the body. Patient may suffer from restlessness, thinning of hair, weight loss, bulging of eyes and increased heart rate etc.
Home remedies for thyroid cure are effective in hyperthyroidism conditions. Mainly it is related with choosing some food items and avoiding some others.
Cruciferous: A particular group of vegetables coming under the family Brassicaceae or Cruciferae is known as cruciferous vegetables. These vegetables are mainly cauliflower, all varieties of cabbage, kale, spinach, broccoli, turnip, brussels, raddish, kohlrabi, arugula, water cress and rutabaga.
Above mentioned vegetables contain a compound called goitrogen, which suppress thyroid action. So including these vegetables in daily diet is one of the very good home remedies for thyroid in hyperthyroidism.
Soya: Including a little bit more of soya beans and its varieties in daily diet is home remedies for thyroid in hyperthyroidism. Soya contains enough of goitrogen in it and it is a very good source of good protein too.
Tapioca: This root vegetable contains enough of goitrogen in it. Including this in daily diet will help in thyroid suppressive action and works as good home remedies for thyroid.
Yogurt: It will provide sufficient protein and helps to absorb all other nutrients from gut. Including yogurt in daily diet will calm down the problems of frequent bowel movements in hyperthyroidism and it is an effective home remedies for thyroid.
Green tea: Drinking green tea enhances over all hormone and enzyme control of the body. Flavonoids and antioxidants present in green tea is good home remedies for thyroid to combat with nutrient insufficiency in hyperthyroidism.
Passion flower: It works as effective home remedies for thyroid in hyperthyroidism. Passion flower is having capacity to slow down heart rate, relieve muscle pain and it is over all good for relaxation.
Prepare a decoction with 1 table spoon of fresh passion flower /1 teaspoon of dried passion flower and 1/4 teaspoon of lemon balm in 1 cup of warm water. Having this preparation twice daily is home remedies for thyroid in hyperthyroidism.
Omega 3 Capsules: These supplements give sufficient amount of minerals along with omega 3 fatty acids.
It is good home remedies for thyroid to rectify the deficiency of minerals if any.
Green juices: Drinking juices of spinach, kale and spirulina is one of the home remedies for thyroid in hyperthyroidism. The juices contain enough of goitrogens in it and also loaded with antioxidants and vitamins. Chlorophil present in this juice will help in detoxification too.
Proteins: Intake good proteins like poultry, turkey, dairy products as well as soya is a very good home remedies for thyroid in hyperthyroidism. Destruction of proteins is more in hyperthyroid patients compared to others.
Calcium: Calcium is not properly assimilated in bones in patients with hyperthyroidism. Low level of vitamin D is also contributes to this condition. Calcium supplements in daily routine are home remedies for thyroid to prevent thinning of bones.
Vitamin D: Low level of vitamin D is seen in thyroid patients. It will result in low calcium absorption. Supplementation of vitamin D and exposure to sunlight half an hour per day is highly recommended as home remedies for thyroid.
Antioxidants: High metabolic rate is a problem in hyperthyroidism. So chances of oxidation of vitamins are high in thyroid patients. Enough of fruits, especially berries and other citrus fruits are very good home remedies for thyroid to manage symptoms of hyperthyroidism
Valerian root (Tagar): This is a very good relaxant and help in sound sleep and restlessness. Prepare a drink with 1 teaspoon valerian root and 1 teaspoon honey in 1cup warm water and have twice daily as home remedies for thyroid.
Magnesium: It is an important mineral for calcitonin hormone synthesis. Hyperthyroid conditions are seems to suppress the absorption of this mineral. Including magnesium rich food like leafy vegetables, whole some grain or pulses and supplements are very good home remedies for thyroid.
Oats: It is very good in managing the fatigue and exhaustion in hyperthyroidism. Oats is a mild stimulant and it is an effective home remedies for thyroid diseases.
Cool compress to eyes: Generally in hyperthyroidism, bulging of eye ball is seen as a main symptom. Applying cool compress to eyes as home remedies for thyroid gives relaxation to a great extent.
Wear sunglass: As the eye balls are bulging out, there are chances to get dry and stressed out. Protecting eyes with sunglass is a must in cases of hyperthyroidism.
Lubricating eye drops: As the eye ball is protruding out, it may get dry very easily in hyperthyroid patients. Applying lubricating eye drops according to medical advice is necessary in such conditions.
Lemon balm: Lemon balm has thyroid suppressing action. It is a very good detoxifying agent too. Using lemon balm as capsule or as a tea preparation, work well as home remedies for thyroid in hyperthyroidism.
Mother wort (Lion’s ear) tea: It is also a natural antithyroid agent. Mother wort also has qualities to calm down heart rate by acting like a natural beta blocker.
Decoctions prepared by using mother wort are very good home remedies for thyroid in hyperthyroidism control.
Bulge weed (Lycopus virginalis) tea: Some special organic acid present in Bulge weed have thyroid suppressing activity. It binds with thyroid antibodies to prevent thyroid gland from destruction in auto immune diseases. Drink tea prepared by adding 1 teaspoon bulge weed, 1 teabag and honey in a glass of warm water serves as home remedies for thyroid in hyperthyroidism.
Gromwell: It is a common herbal plant known as Pearl plant or Stoneseed is home remedies for thyroid in hyperthyroidism. It is having natural thyroid suppressants in it. The chemicals in the plant also have the property to act against auto antibodies to prevent destruction of thyroid gland by own immune system (autoimmune disease)
Exercise: Regular exercise is recommended for hyperthyroid patients to keep energy and metabolism rate level at balance as home remedies for thyroid.
Exposure to toxins: Try to avoid artificially flavored and coloured junk food as far as possible. Avoid preservative containing food as well as pesticide containing vegetables and grains as home remedies for thyroid.
Stress: Staying relaxed and stress free is home remedy for thyroid problems.
Caffeine: Intake caffeine should be restricted to control thyroid problems.
Processed food: Processed foods are not advisable for thyroid patients as home remedies for thyroid. These food items may be deficient in many nutrients.
Home remedies for thyroiditis
Thyroiditis is the swelling of thyroid gland. This disorder appears in patient as hypothyroidism. Home remedies for thyroid in thyroiditis are of same as in hypothyroidism. Food items that are encouraged to include in daily diet as home remedies for thyroid are;
- Coconut oil
- Iodized salt
- Apple cider vinegar
- Fish oils
- Vitamin D
- Vitamin B complex
Some of the food items that should be restricted as home remedy for thyroid in thyroiditis are;
- Cruciferous vegetables
- Gluten containing grains like wheat
Home remedies for thyroid cancer
Thyroid cancers are of different types. Radioactive iodine treatment is the conventional method to cure thyroid cancer.
Some of the home remedies for thyroid in thyroid cancer can be incorporated along with medical treatment are;
Low iodine diet: Patient should avoid the consumption of seafood, cheese, butter, yogurt, egg yolk, soya, soy products and chocolates as home remedies for thyroid.
Recommended food items are;
- Non-iodized salt
- Egg white
- Organic fruits and vegetable
- Fresh fruit juices
- Leafy vegetables
- Omega 3 rich food like fish oil, flaxseed, pumpkin seed
- Supplements of Vit C, E, and B complex.
Home remedies for thyroid nodules
Thyroid nodules are extra growth of thyroid gland. They are non cancerous in nature.
Thyroid nodules are self limiting and they shrink themselves after a certain period of time. Home remedies for thyroid in thyroid nodules are;
- Consume seafood regularly
- Use Ginseng tea
- Use citrus fruits
- Use coconut oil
- Use chia seeds, nuts, avocado and olive oil as source of essential fatty acids.
Home remedies for thyroid storm
In overactive thyroid disease ( hyperthyroidism) presence of excess quantity of thyroid hormone cause increase in heart rate and blood pressure in patients. This is an emergency situation requiring immediate medical attention. Home remedies for thyroid in thyroid storm are only a supportive component for treatment.
Home remedies for thyroid in thyroid storm are;
- Mother wort tea
- Bulge weed tea
- Cruciferous vegetables
- Green juices
- Vitamin supplements
Home remedies for Hypothyroidism
There are may be an insufficient thyroid hormone production in hypothyroid disorders. Sometimes hypothyroidism can arise as a secondary effect of other disorders like thyroiditis, thyroid nodules or thyroid cancer.
Main complaints of hypothyroidism are low energy, hair thinning and weight gain. Even if patient is on hormone supplementation, the symptom may remain as the same in most cases. Home remedies for thyroid can help a lot in managing the symptoms of hypothyroidism.
Home remedies for thyroid in hyperthyroidism are;
- Turmeric: One teaspoon of pure turmeric powder either mixed in honey or milk is effective home remedies for thyroid
- Encourage seafood: Including sea fishes or sea vegetables in daily diet is home remedies for thyroid
- Coconut oil: Coconut oil easily gets absorbed in the body to boost energy levels
- Iodized salt: Odized salt highly recommended for culinary purposes
- Apple cider vinegar: It helps in energy level boost and detoxification
- Cord liver oil: It provides enough of zinc and selenium for hormone synthesis
- Aswagandha: helps in energy level boosting
- Homemade masalas: Preservative free masalas help in thyroid cure
- Pesticide free food: Organic food has great effect on thyroid cure
- B vitamins: help is metabolism
- Calcium: Supplements or calcium rich food is highly recommended
- Exercise: Regular exercise is very much required for proper thyroid functioning
- Sunlight: Half an exposure to sunlight increase calcium assimilation in bones
- Avoid cruciferous vegetables: Limit intake of cabbage, cauliflower, broccoli, turnip etc
- Avoid soya and its products: Limit intake of soya beans, soya chunks or other products
- Avoid tapioca: Limit tapioca as it contains goitrogen
- Limit gluten : Control usage of wheat in daily diet
Home remedies for thyroid during pregnancy
Patient should include the following items to cure thyroid problems in pregnancy as home remedies for thyroid;
- Coconut oil: 2 table spoons of virgin coconut oil in one glass of milk at bed time.
- Primrose oil: Primrose oil mixed with herbs.
- Eggs and carrots: Rich in Vitamin A.
- Herbal tea: Supply antioxidants.
- Cod liver oil: Provides omega 3 fatty acids.
- Vitamin B rich food: Whole some gains, pulses and leafy vegetables.
- Vitamin D rich food: Sun exposure and supplements.
Home remedies for papillary thyroid carcinoma
Papillary thyroid carcinoma is the most common cancer of thyroid. Once it is diagnosed, it should be treated with medications and all the home remedies for thyroid cancer are supportive to make the treatment more effective.
- Use non-iodized salt
- Egg white and carrots
- Organic fruits and vegetable
- Home made fresh fruit juices
- Leafy vegetables
- Omega 3 rich food like fish oil, flaxseed, pumpkin seed
- Supplements of antioxidants like Vitamin C, E, and B complex.
Home remedies for thyroid adenoma
Thyroid adenomas are noncancerous growth of thyroid glands. Patients with thyroid adenoma should avoid processed food, as they cause extra mucus production. They should also limit intake of refined sugar, it can aggravate swelling and water retention in the body.
Some of the food items that are highly recommended as home remedies for thyroid in thyroid adenoma are;
- Sea food
- Citrus fruits
- Fatty acids
- Coconut oil
- Bamboo edible portions
Home remedies for goiter
Goiter is the enlargement of thyroid gland due to iodine deficiency. Home remedies for thyroid in goiter include;
- Use of iodized salt
- Sea vegetables and fishes
- Water cress
- Kanchanara decoction
- Motherwort tea
- Green tea
- Bulge weed tea
- Lemon balm
- Barley water
- Coconut oil
- Fresh coleus leaves
Home remedies for thyroid in goiter to reduce swelling in the neck are;
- Apply paste of dried oak bark powder and water in the neck.
- Apply flaxseed paste.
- Apply water cress paste
Home remedies for thyroid weight gain
Shedding weight in hypothyroidism conditions is really difficult for one.
Some home remedies for thyroid to maintain healthy weight in hypothyroidism are;
- Avoid processed and refined food
- Consume enough of fruits and vegetables
- Avoid heavy meal
- Plan for small portions of 5 to 6 meal per day
- Plan for low calorie food
- Limit intake of cruciferous vegetables, soya and wheat
- Include enough of seafood in diet
- Drink plenty of pure water
- Do regular exercise to boost up metabolism
- Practice yoga to stimulate thyroid gland
- Keep regular timing for sleep
- Stick on proper dose of medication
Related Articles on “Thyroid”- You Must Be Interested In
- Causes of Thyroid Diseases, Nodules, Storm Carcinoma and Cancer
- Home Remedies for Thyroid problems, Underactive Low Thyroid & Weight Gain
- Hyperthyroidism Definition, Symptoms, Causes, Diet, Diagnosis, Treatment and Medication
- Hyperthyroidism in Cats: Causes, Symptoms, Diet, Prognosis, Remedies, Treatment & Life Expectancy
- Hyperthyroidism Symptoms in Women, Men and Cats with Causes and Treatments
- Hypothyroidism Causes, Symptoms, Types & Treatment in Women, Men & Cats
- Hypothyroidism Diet Plan Meal Chart: Best Diet for People with Hypothyroidism to Lose Weight
- Hypothyroidism Natural Treatment Options, Effects & Supplements for Weight Loss in Women/ Men
- Long Term Side Effects of Hypothyroidism in Baby, Males & Females During Pregnancy
- Papillary Thyroid Carcinoma Causes, Symptoms, Prevention & Treatment
- Parathyroid Gland Definition Disease Symptoms Function Level Test & Surgery
- Parathyroid Gland Location, Function, Size, Hormones, Disorders, Diagnosis & Treatment
- Subclinical Hypothyroidism Causes, Symptoms, Diet Treatment Guidelines & TSH Levels
- Symptoms of Hypothyroidism in Women, Men, Children Cats Checklist & Treatment
- Symptoms of Thyroid Adenoma, Cancer, Hypothyroidism & Hyperthyroidism
- Symptoms of Thyroid Cancer in Females & Males in Early & Advanced Stage
- Symptoms of Thyroid in Women During Thyroid Problems, Hypothyroidism & Hyperthyroidism
- Thyroid Adenoma Causes, Symptoms, Treatment & Surgery of Thyroid Adenoma
- Thyroid Cancer-Types, Causes, Symptoms & Treatment of Thyroid Cancer
- Thyroid Cure: Cure Thyroid Problems & Hypothyroidism Naturally & Permanently
- Thyroid Diet Plan for Thyroid Patient with Underactive Thyroid
- Thyroid Disease Definition Types Causes Symptoms Side Effects Tests & Treatment
- Thyroid Function Test Normal Values Interpretation Cost and Significance
- Thyroid Gland – Functions, Location, Hormones With Overactive & Underactive Thyroid
- Thyroid Hormone Synthesis Functions Levels Effects Diseases & Importance of T3 T4 TSH
- Thyroid in Pregnancy: Function, Low Thyroid Symptoms, Levels, Range Tests & Treatmment
- Thyroid Levels Chart Underactive, Low, High & Normal Thyroid Levels Range
- Thyroid Medicine Dosage, Side Effects & Natural Medicine for Hypothyroidism
- Thyroid Nodules Causes, Symptoms, Size, Surgery & Treatment of Thyroid Nodules
- Thyroid Nodules Symptoms & Causes of Cystic, Bilateral, Small Nodules
- Thyroid Problems in Women During Pregnancy Hypothyroidism and Hyperthyroidism
- Thyroid Profile T3-T4-TSH Normal Values, Range, Test Procedure Cost & Interpretation
- Thyroid Stimulating Hormone Effects, Normal Range, Levels, Disorders & Tests
- Thyroid Storm Causes, Symptoms, Management, and Treatment of Thyroid Storm
- Thyroid Symptoms in Men During Papillary Thyroid Carcinoma, Adenoma, Low Thyroid Cancer & Goiter
- Thyroid Test at Home & thyroid function Test for TSH Levels T3 & T4
- Thyroid Treatment for Hypothyroidism, Hyperthyroidism, Cancer, Adenoma & in Pregnancy
- Thyroidectomy Surgery Procedure Steps Scars Diet Types & Recovery complications
- Parathyroid Gland Definition Disease Symptoms Function Level Test & Surgery
Stay hale and hearty.