The overproduction of thyroid hormones means the onset of Hyperthyroidism Symptoms. Hyperthyroidism is the condition of thyroid in which the body becomes highly active. There are two types of thyroid hormones produced in the thyroid glands, i.e.,
- Thyroxine, T3,
- Triiodothyronine, T4.
These hormones play a very important role in balancing lots of the vital functions in the body. But, what when the thyroid glands only lose their balance, and start forming these hormones abundantly? Yes this is the exact condition that causes Hyperthyroidism symptoms in the body of an individual.
Hyperthyroidism symptoms are not difficult to understand. There are some symptoms, that are easily noticeable in initial stages, but some are visible in acute stages of hyperthyroidism, i.e., Thyroid Storm.
The hyperthyroidism symptoms in a person can be confirmed with the help of thyroid tests, or some other diagnosis. These hyperthyroidism symptoms have good treatment methods, which will be discussed further.
What are the symptoms of Hyperthyroidism?
Before jumping onto the treatment of hyperthyroidism, we should understand what the symptoms of hyperthyroidism are? The high production of thyroid hormones leads to high metabolic rate in the body, also known as Hypermetabolic rate. Thus, leading to several different hyperthyroidism symptoms to appear.
The symptoms that are visible are:
The enlarged gland or goiter
Due to the over activity of the thyroid gland, it increases in size. This increase shows as a swelling on the neck, which is due to the enlargement of the thyroid gland, also called Goiter. Goiter has got only one treatment, i.e., surgery, to remove the complete thyroid gland.
The enlarged eyes and puffs are also the hyperthyroidism symptoms in a patient. From a normal person, the person showing hyperthyroidism symptoms get bigger and unusually bulging eyes.
Increase in the Appetite
Due to a high metabolism, the digestive system also speeds up, causing fast digestion of the food. Therefore, it leads to high appetite in the patient, showing the earliest hyperthyroidism symptoms.
Nervousness, Fear and Anxiety
The heart starts functioning abnormally and tending to the feeling of nervousness go higher. This also causes the person to become afraid easily, and also highly anxious for small things. This happens due to the increased heart rate of the patient, showing abnormal hyperthyroidism symptoms.
In the hypermetabolic state, the body behaves restless and resist staying in stable position.
Lack of concentration
Due to hyper activity of the brain it lacks the concentration on a single point. Instead the brain keeps on signaling and jumping from one point to the other.
The increasing weakness in the body
The body becomes weak and weaker with time in case of high metabolism. As the high concentration of thyroid hormones, tend to high metabolic activities. Thus, requires a high amount of fuel which keeps on consuming in the body.
Hence, the body becomes weaker. This is a very adverse type of hyperthyroidism symptoms.
Irregularity in the heart function and fast heart beat
The heart starts functioning at an abrupt pace and beats irregularly, after the hyperthyroidism symptoms start appearing. This issue, if not cured on time may cause heart stroke or failure. Rush to the doctor as soon as such hyperthyroidism symptoms appear.
Itching in the body
This is also a symptom in the hyperthyroid patients. The body starts with itching and getting rashes on several parts.
Hair loss and Hair Thinning
The rapid metabolism makes the body weak in case of overactive thyroid gland. Including the hair to become weak as well, this causes hair loss and hair thinning drastically.
Nausea and Vomiting
The hyperthyroidism symptoms also include the symptoms of nausea and vomiting in the patient. It is because of the weakness and high irregular activities caused in the digestive system.
Hyperthyroidism Symptoms in Women
The hyperthyroidism symptoms in women are somewhat different from that of the men. As the thyroid hormone secretion bumps up, the body of the women also shows some of the changes.
So, these hyperthyroidism symptoms in women are:
- The first visible hyperthyroidism symptoms in women are, weight loss that happens drastically. It can start from the age of 20 above only.
- No tolerance to heat is also amongst them.
- Poor digestive system due to fast bowel movements
- Women suffer from frequent tremors due to hyperthyroidism
- The nervousness, fear and irritability increases with the hyperthyroidism symptoms
- The hyperthyroidism symptoms in women also includes insomnia or sleeplessness
- There is irregularity in the menstruation cycle in women, due to hyperthyroidism. It can be a continuous bleeding for long days, or irregular dates.
- They can also face problem in conceiving a baby, if overactive thyroid is an issue.
- The pregnant women have lots of mood fluctuations and anxieties, in case of hyperthyroidism symptoms. The above given symptoms even increase even during pregnancy.
The visible hyperthyroidism symptoms in women should not be left unattended. You need to take an appointment.
Hyperthyroidism Symptoms in Men
What are the visible hyperthyroidism symptoms in men?
The overactive thyroid leads to arise of many abnormal symptoms in men.
- The enlargement of the thyroid gland, or the goiter, is the first easily visible symptoms in men.
- Men face mood fluctuations too, same as women do. They become more violent, irritated and short-tempered.
- There is loss in of men, because of the hyperthyroidism symptoms in men.
- The heart beat becomes too fast in men, due to high activity in men. This may also lead to cardiac arrest if it becomes severe.
- The breast enlargement is observed as the visual hyperthyroidism symptoms in men.
- The bowel movements increase causing diarrhea or other digestive issues.
- They may show some unusual skin problems due to hyperthyroid gland, such as rashes, itching, lumps, moles, patches, etc.
- The bulging eyes in men are also among the hyperthyroidism symptoms, which is due to hyperactivity of the brain.
These are the important noticeable symptoms in men for overactive thyroid.
Hyperthyroidism Skin Symptoms
There are many such symptoms occurring in the case of overactive glands that arise due to the high metabolism in the body of the person.
These hyperthyroidism skin symptoms are quite unusual ones, and easily recognizable. It is necessary for us to understand these signs and work on them.
- Hands and face wrinkling and showing early aging.
- Increased sensitivity of the skin, which becomes moist, warm and sweaty.
- Thin hair and hair fall
- Damaged or highly growing nails
- High amount of itching (Pruritus)
- Exophthalmos which shows the sign of swelling, redness, moist skin, or nodules, etc., around the calf, feet or palm.
It also shows skin discoloration or warts on the hands and legs.
- Myxedema, is the hyperthyroidism skin symptoms which shows the weak, thin and wrinkled skin, as that of an old person. It also leads to extra growing nails, and hair fall.
- The skin faces low heat tolerance.
These symptoms should not be taken lightly. All those who face such signs may be having hyperthyroidism symptoms. Be careful and be aware of it, and consult your doctor.
Let’s see what are the causes of hyperthyroidism symptoms to appear?
Causes of Hyperthyroidism Symptoms
There are many reasons that can cause the hyperthyroidism symptoms to appear. They can be enlisted below:
- Graves’ disease, which causes inflammation of the thyroid gland cells, may lead to the overactive thyroid glands to secrete tremendous amount of T3 and T4. Thus, the hyperthyroidism symptoms occur.
- The excess intake of iodine also causes hyperthyroid glands.
- Any kind of surgery or thyroid hormone replacement therapy in past may also be the reason behind the hyperthyroidism symptoms to occur.
- The tumor in ovaries or testes may cause hyperthyroidism.
- If there are any tumor or cancer symptoms in pituitary glands it can also cause hyperthyroidism symptoms because of the overactivity of the thyroid glands.
Early Symptoms of Hyperthyroidism
Now, what may be the early symptoms of hyperthyroidism occurring in the patient?
The earliest symptoms of hyperthyroidism are many that are easily visible and observable. They are:
- The increase in the appetite
- Insomnia is also an early symptom
- Fatigue and nausea can also be counted in
- Fast heart beat and irritations
- Intolerance to heat and lots of sweating is also the early symptoms of hyperthyroidism
- In women, irregular menses is an early sign.
- Weight loss of the person suffering hyperthyroidism symptoms is also an early one.
- The bulging eyes and appearance of enlarged thyroid gland also comes in the early symptoms of hyperthyroidism.
Being the early symptoms of hyperthyroidism, it should not be ignored. They can be the indicators of a major issue occurring in your body.
Severe Hyperthyroidism Symptoms
When the hyperthyroidism symptoms are not treated on time, they may aggravate causing the more severe case of hyperthyroidism. This type of hyperthyroidism is known as Thyroid Storm.
“The thyroid storm is an uncontrollable production of thyroid hormones from the thyroid glands, due to some causal agents that lead to the over activity of the thyroid glands.”
The severe symptoms of hyperthyroidism or thyroid storm are:
- Brain strokes,
- Severe diarrhea,
- Cardiac arrest or heart failure,
- High fever,
- Shaking of the body, and
- Unconsciousness in the person.
If these severe hyperthyroidism symptoms are not checked on time, they may prove fatal to the patient. The hyperthyroidism symptoms are good to be checked earlier only. Doing this late is always risky, be it any issue.
Hyperthyroidism Symptoms Treatment
The hyperthyroidism symptoms treatment is many. A proper diagnosis helps in checking the issues.
We have to select the best one among them and go for the cure as early as possible.
Medication to control the hyperthyroidism symptoms are those which help in controlling the over production of thyroid hormones on a regular basis. These medications are to be taken on a daily basis.
The medicines for hyperthyroidism symptoms are Methimazole and Propylthiouracil.
Next to this is Radioactive Iodine Therapy
Radioactive Iodine Therapy
The radioactive iodine therapy helps in killing down the thyroid gland cells that secrete the thyroid hormones in abundance. This therapy thus, helps eliminating the symptoms in the patient.
It is also helpful after the surgery to kill the excess thyroid cells and also the cancer cells in case of thyroid cancer.
Surgery is performed in case of goiter or thyroid nodules that arise as the hyperthyroidism symptoms. When the enlargement of the thyroid glands become severe and cause trouble in breathing and swallowing food then the gland is completely removed, i.e., Thyroidectomy.
The surgery is followed by thyroid hormone replacement therapy to compensate the balance of metabolism and thyroid hormone level.
Hyperthyroidism Symptoms in Cats
Hyperthyroidism symptoms in cats, also known as Feline hyperthyroidism symptoms are somewhat different from that of humans. But at some points they are similar to that of humans too.
“The Feline Hyperthyroidism is over production of thyroid hormones in the thyroid gland of the cats.”
The cats live for 13 to 14 years on an average. In case of hyperthyroidism it may decrease, but a proper timely cure can save it. Therefore, let’s see what the hyperthyroidism symptoms in cats are?
- The loss in weight of the cats, due to high metabolism of their bodies.
- Loss in hair of the cat
- Restlessness and increase of fear in them
- The increase in the appetite of the cats, due to quick digestion process
- Weakness and nausea is also faced by the cats in hyperthyroidism symptoms.
- Vomiting and fatigue are also the symptoms in cats.
- The cats also face faster heart rate.
The hyperthyroidism symptoms in cats if not treated on time, may become fatal to them. There are many treatments for thyroid symptoms in cats, like medication to control thyroid hormone production, and radioactive iodine therapy.
All of us need to be aware of the thyroid issue, and most importantly the hyperthyroidism symptoms as it is the most common one. The thyroid issues don’t get much importance from us, but it should not be ignored. These problems in the body may appear minor one, but they can lead to major problems.
So, folks! It’s will be great if all of you make a commitment of taking great care of our own health and of our families and friends to. So, be aware, go through this article carefully and share it with your families and friends too. Your comments are always welcome.
Stay hale and hearty.