Thyroid Medicines – All you need to know about Thyroid Medicine!
Thyroid medicines are a class of pharmacological drugs that contains thyroid hormones in them. The main role of a thyroid medicine is to offer the main supplement, ‘thyroid hormone’ inside the body.
In a healthy body, sufficient amount of thyroid hormone is produced organically to ensure proper pathological processes are carried out naturally. In few of pathological or anatomical conditions, the balance between thyroid hormone and the requirement of the body gets disturbed and thus you may require thyroid medicines.
This disturbance leads to further invasion of abnormalities in the body and generates the need to create the balance once again, with the help of thyroid medicines. Apart from thyroid disease, thyroid medicines can be also prescribed for conditions such as Goiter.
Types of medicines for Thyroid
The main function of thyroid medicines is to produce influential impact on the metabolic as well as other internal functions of the body. The proper functioning of Cardiovascular system, Digestive System , Neuromuscular System, Bone development are also taken in account with the help of thyroid medicines.
In simpler terms, we can state that thyroid medicines play a primary role in ensuring the proper growth and development of human brain and body, in the absence of natural thyroid functioning.
Natural thyroid Medicines
Thyroid medicines are further classified into two major categories; Synthetic thyroid medicines & Natural thyroid medicines.
Natural thyroid medicines are the class of thyroid medicines that are extracted from nature or natural products. The natural thyroid medicines are redirected to treat the improper functioning of the thyroid glands. The natural thyroid is usually extracted from the glands of animals; such as pigs.
Studies have revealed that the natural property of sort of thyroid hormone extracted from pig’s thyroid gland is similar to the natural property of human thyroid hormones. Conditions such as hypothyroidism; where thyroid glands are insufficient to secrete the desired amount of thyroid hormone, and the conditions where the thyroid gland is removed; natural thyroid medicines are suggested as these medicines have minimum risk or side effect.
Natural thyroid medicines are also used medically to treat a group of disorders associated with thyroid. Apart from treatment procedures, these medicines have great diagnostic property and are often used in laboratory tests to detect the abnormality of thyroid function.
Different types of Natural Thyroid Medicines
Nature has always kept a shade on humans. The flora and fauna has varied options for humans to keep themselves healthy and fine. There are many natural thyroid medicines that could be used either single or in group to treat thyroid. Here is a list of most prescribed natural thyroid medicines:
- Ashwagandha: It could be defined as an adaptogen herb that is focused to minimize the stress level of the body. It results in maintaining the hormonal balance of the hormone. The pharmacological action of adaptogen starts by lowering down the levels of cortisol and T4 in the body. The dosage prescribed on daily basis is 500 milligrams. It has been documented that 8 weeks, regular intake will help in maintaining the thyroid level inside the body.
- Iodine: Iodine works as a supplement to the natural diet and it helps in producing the significant changes in the level of thyroid in individuals. The minimum dosage prescribed as natural thyroid medicine is 150 to 300 micrograms daily.
- Selenium: The dosage of 200 micrograms on a regular basis is responsible in bringing the desired changes in the production rate of the T3 thyroid hormone and also help in reduction of chances of autoimmune effects.
- L- Tyrosine: L-Tyrosine is another thyroid medicine for thyroid problems. The preferred dosage for L- Tyrosine is 500 mg twice in a day. It falls under the class of amino acids that are produced by the synthesis of thyroid hormones. Thyroxin commonly known as T4, is naturally produced from the iodination of tyrosine. The supplementation of this natural thyroid medicine helps in enhancing the neuromuscular function of the brain.
- Fish oil: It is also one of the natural thyroid medicines which are recommended to be taken in 1,000 milligrams daily. It works as an essential fatty acid that plays an integral role in controlling the functions of the brain.
Thyroid medicines for Underactive Thyroid
Underactive thyroid is described as a condition where the natural thyroid gland is incapable of producing the right amount of thyroid hormone. This condition is usually treated through conservative treatment and is accompanied with the regular use of prescribed thyroid medicine.
The thyroid medicine which is being used is advised to be taken on a regular basis, so that it can produce the desired significant results. A daily hormone replacement tablet is prescribed by an authorized medical practitioner, which is popularly known as Levothyroxine.
The drug replaces the thyroxine hormone and creates the sufficient level of hormone that is required for the proper functioning of the body. These drugs acts as effective thyroid medicines in case of thyroid problems in women and men. The primary role of Levothyroxine is to maintain the level of thyroxine hormone and to ensure the proper conduction of body’s energy and metabolism.
Medical conditions such as enlarged thyroid gland; Goiter are also corrected by Levothyroxine.
Another drug that is widely used to treat underactive thyroid is known as Synthroid. The major function of Synthroid is same and it also helps in regulating the correct level of thyroid hormone in the body.
The list of thyroid medicine for underactive thyroid also contains the name of drug- Levoxyl. The low thyroid hormone is organically treated and cured with the regular intake of this thyroid medicine as prescribed by the physician.
All of the above, discussed thyroid medicines have been successfully producing the results to cure and treat the underactive thyroid in a better way. The dosage of the medicines are dependent upon the level of thyroid hormone present in the body and is prescribed by the physician , on the basis of laboratory tests that are carried out to rule out the deficiency.
Thyroid medicines for overactive Thyroid
The medical condition where the thyroid gland abnormally produces a high level of thyroid hormone is termed as overactive thyroid. Unlike underactive thyroid, in this condition the dosage of thyroid medicines is given in order to lower down the level of thyroid hormone in the body.
These thyroid medicines are popularly known as Anti- thyroid medications and are capable of bringing down the level of thyroid hormone in the body. The pharmacological action of the drug targets the reduction of the symptoms, caused or initiated by the presence of high level of thyroid hormone.
The chemical composition of these drugs is made up of propylthiouracil and methimazole ; also known as Tapazole. Chemical drugs that come under the group of thionamides are one of the most common used drugs to treat overactive thyroid.
This class of thyroid medicines refrain the production of excessive hormone in the gland. In medication, carbimazole and propylthiouracil are the most common prescribed tablets as thyroid medicine to the individuals, suffering from overactive thyroid. They are often combined with beta- blocker that further accelerates the relieving process of the symptoms.
Thyroid Medicines names list
Classification of Thyroid Medicines
Thyroid as documented is one of the common disease. 3 out of 5 people are suffering from the various disorders of thyroid. There have been many researches that are carried out to find the best treatment possible to deal with the hormonal imbalance. Below is the list of most common, widely used thyroid medicines that are capable of bringing the desired results without initiating much of side effects.
- Liotrix: It is a man made form of hormone that replicated the natural hormone produced by the thyroid gland. This artificial hormone possesses almost similar functions as compared to the natural hormone. The primary function of it is to regulate the metabolic activities inside the body. This thyroid medicine is capable of treating hypothyroidism.
- Desiccated Thyroid: It is also known as dried thyroid. It is a combination of group of hormones that are usually produced inside the body. This thyroid medicine is prescribed when the natural thyroid gland is not performing well and is producing insufficient amount of hormones. The level of hormones is then met by the introduction of these supplemented thyroid medicines.
- Liothyronine: It is again one of the most widely used thyroid medicine that is redirected to maintain the precise hormonal level inside the body. It is very necessary to maintain the accurate level of hormones inside the body as it helps in supporting the body processes to regulate in a proper way.
- Levothyroxine: It is a thyroid medicine that helps in successful replacement of the natural hormone. It also ensures the proper regulation of body’s metabolic activities.
- Thyrotropin Alfa: This class of thyroid medicine is generally prescribed in cases, when there are chances of getting exposure to thyroid carcinoma. However, in common conditions of thyroid imbalance, Thyrotropin Alfa is also prescribed.
Side effects of Thyroid Medicine
The conservative treatment through thyroid medicine is a blessing for the individuals suffering from set of thyroid diseases. However, there are few associated side effects of thyroid medicines that could not be neglected. Here is the list of few of the side effects that are caused due to introduction of thyroid medicines.
- Hair fall: This is one of the most common side effects encountered by the individuals who start taking the medication
- Increased sweating: It has been seen in many cases, once the thyroid medicine is started, people often complain of increased sweating.
- Mood changes: The hormonal imbalance created inside the body needs to get compensated. It impacts the physical as well as psychological changes in the body. Sometimes it may results in the mood swings. They are often associated with intake of thyroid medicines.
- Increased sensitivity to outer environment: The body mechanism gets a lot of alterations that sometimes results in tendency to get increase sensitivity of the skin to the outer environment.
- Headache: One of the common side effects of intake of thyroid medicine is the frequent episodes of headache on a regular interval.
- Tremors: Tremors are the shaky movements that occur due to increase in flexibility of the neuromuscular system. It occurs as a result of hypersensitivity, occurs due to the response of exposure of thyroid medicines.
- Shortness of breath: Dyspnea is a condition that occurs in response of the insufficiency of amount of intake of oxygen in the body. Thyroid medicines sometimes give a counter effect by creating difficulty in breathing.
- Diarrhea: The irregularity in bowel system occurs due to alteration of metabolic and digestive system that is created because of introduction of thyroid medicines.
- Swelling in proximities: Distal proximities such as ankle, feet, and hand are often seen inflamed due to intake of thyroid medicines.
- Allergic reactions: Some thyroid medicines could create allergic reactions on the skin, tongue or other sensitive parts of the body.
Thyroid Medicine Dosage
The conventional way to decide the dosage of thyroid medicine is dependent upon the nature of the disorder, an individual is suffering from. Ideally below are the lists of dosages that are usually prescribed:
Adult dose for hypothyroidism: In the beginning stage, when the course begins, an amount of 30 to 32.5 mg of dosage is recommended. The route of administration is oral and it is advised to be taken with an empty stomach.
Once the medicine starts getting adjusted in the body, the dose quantity is increased by 15 to 16.25 mg per day for the consecutive 2 to 3 weeks. It has resulted in achieving the normal serum value for T3 and T 4 level. The level of thyroid medicine dose that needs to be maintained daily is around 60 to 130 mg per day.
Best medicine for Thyroid
With the frequent researches about the control of disease, there are many thyroid medicines that have been proved to successfully cure the disease. Below is the most widely prescribed, result- oriented thyroid medicines;
Levothyroxine is considered as one of the best thyroid medicine and is capable of producing significant results in a shorter span of time as compared to other medicines. It is one of the best medicines of thyroid which is used conventionally, under the mane of brands- Synthroid, Levoxyl and Tirosint.
In due passage of time, many researches are being carried out to find the answer for the best medicine of thyroid and the results produced by Levothyroxine are so far ,the best results as compared to other thyroid medicines.
How can I stop taking Thyroid Medicine?
Once, you are in a habit of taking thyroid medicine on a regular basis, it become difficult to stop taking the medication without any proper supervision. If sufficient precautions are not taken while weaning of from the thyroid medicine, it might harm your body or could end up resulting in withdrawal systems.
The main reason to discontinue the thyroid medicine is the associated side effects of the drugs that compel you to wean off from the medicine. The other reason to stop intake of thyroid medicine is the growing age and associated heart diseases with it.
In any of the cases, it is advised to consult your physician to understand the complete process of weaning off from the thyroid medicine. First of all, your doctor will ask you to go for a blood test.
Laboratory test will help you to know the retained value of thyroid inside your blood. On the basis of the test reports, your weaning off procedure could be decided by the doctor.
Always remember to follow the precise advises of doses prescribed for thyroid medicines by your doctor. It will help in acting as a counter effect to the upcoming side effects while weaning
Homeopathic medicine for Thyroid
There are many thyroid cases that have been successfully controlled and cured by the homeopathic treatment. The prognosis of the disease has been recorded to be good, with the help of thyroid medicines, offered by homeopathy. Most widely prescribed homeopathic medicine for thyroid are:
Calcarea Carbonica: It is one of the most widely used homeopathic medicines for thyroid. The patients that fall under the category of obese and are intolerant to cold atmosphere are likely to get benefit from the medicine. It also helps in relieving the symptoms such as constipation associated with hypothyroidism. It is highly recommended in the women who are having profuse menstrual cycle.
Sepia Officinalis: Another significant thyroid medicine in homeopathy is Sepia Officinalis. The pharmacological action of the medicine is targeted to balance the vital symptoms of the body and to regulate the body temperature of the patients. It also acts as a survivor in cases where women are having troubled menstrual cycles. For individuals, who are suffering from hair loss, this homeopathy medicine can help in dealing with the crisis.
Lycopodium Clavatum: This homeopathic thyroid medicine is prescribed in thyroid cases where the individual is suffering from the gastric troubles. Apart from gastric component, this medicine also helps in treating the mood disorders, associated with the disorder of thyroid.
Graphite: In obese category, where the problem of constipation continues to a higher extent, it is advised to take Graphite as a thyroid medicine.
Nux Vomica: It is one of the wonderful homeopathic medicines that have been proven to relieve the symptoms of thyroid. It is generally prescribed to the patients who are highly sensitive to the outer atmosphere. It helps in treating the obstinate constipation in hypothyroid patients. The woman, who complains for a longer menstrual cycle, can also be advised to take this thyroid medicine to relieve the symptoms to a greater extent.
Thyroid medicine vs home remedies for Thyroid
This is always a topic of debate that whether one should opt for taking conservative treatment for thyroid i.e. intake of thyroid medicines or should go for the home made remedial solutions to treat the disease. There are many facts and documents that support both the side in their own way. Let’s have a quick tour of pros and cons of using one solution over the other.
The standard treatment for thyroid is to take daily thyroid hormone replacement therapy to maintain the overall level of thyroid inside the body. The name of the thyroid medicines have been mentioned earlier in this article.
On the other hand, home remedies include treating and focusing the root cause of the disease. It incorporates the following add on in your diet.
- Selenium: It is considered to be a trace element that has an important role in regulating the metabolic activities of thyroid hormone. One can add the food articles that contain rich selenium in it which will act as a natural thyroid medicine for you. For example: grass fed beef, tuna, turkey etc.
- Sugar -Free diet: The high intake of sugar can be responsible for increasing the inflammation in the body. The process of inflammation further triggers the slower conversion of T4 to triiodothyronine or T3 to another thyroid hormone. Henceforth, by restricting your diet to sugar free diet, you can easily overcome the symptoms of thyroid.
- Vitamin B: Supplementing your thyroid diet with high level of vitamin can help you to progressively repair the damage done by the hypothyroidism.
- Probiotic: The introduction of probiotic diet in your food can help you to strengthen the stomach and intestine. Hypothyroidism is responsible for bringing down the health of stomach and intestine. You can easily overcome the damage with the intake of diet that is rich in probiotic.
- Gluten- free diet: The associated digestive disorders of hypothyroidism can be easily treated by simply adding gluten free thyroid diet in your meal and this diet may act as another natural thyroid medicine for you.
All the above mentioned natural remedies can help you to get a relief from the exaggerated symptoms caused by hypothyroidism. However, in cases when the disease of thyroid is on a higher graph, the advantage of home remedies gets outweighed. It is suggested to consult your doctor and take the right advice for the treatment.
Thyroid cancer is one of the most uncommon types of cancer that occurs in the population. The treatment is further classified as conservative treatment and surgical treatment.
The conservative treatment includes a group of thyroid medicines that are recommended to cure the thyroid cancer.
- Cabozancatinib –S- Malate : In conditions ,such as Medullary thyroid cancer, renal cell carcinoma, this thyroid medicine is recommended.
- Caprelsa (Vandetanib): It is prescribed in Medullary thyroid cancer. In conditions, where surgical removal is not advised and the cancer is in advance stage, this thyroid medicine is prescribed.
- Cometriq (Cabozantinib- S- Malate): This thyroid medicine has proved to be helpful in treating the Medullary thyroid carcinoma and renal cell carcinoma.
- Doxorubicin Hydrochloride: This thyroid medicine can be used in alone or can be used in a group to treat the thyroid cancer. Apart from thyroid cancer, it has been successful in treating other types of cancer also such as renal cancer, Leukemia etc.
- Lenvatinib Mesylate: This thyroid medicine can be use in thyroid cancer where the disease is in progressive, recurrent or metastatic stage and the disease is not showing any response to radioactive Iodine.
- Nexavar: Again, this thyroid medicine is useful in treating the progressive and advanced stage of thyroid cancer.
Thyroid medicine for Thyroid Nodules
The unusual growth of thyroid cells in the thyroid gland is termed as thyroid nodules.
The treatment of thyroid nodule is dependent upon the nature of the thyroid nodule; Benign nodule, Cancerous Nodule, nodule that causes hypothyroidism.
Benign Nodule Treatment: The thyroid medicine involves the introduction of Levothyroxine (Levoxyl, Synthroid and others). It can be administered through a pill orally. The pharmacological action includes producing signal to pituitary gland to secrete less level of TSH. This helps in reduction of growth hormone and the excessive growth will be ceased.
Nodule that causes Hypothyroidism: Radioactive iodine can be given to treat the hyper functioning adenomas or multi-nodular goiters. Anti – thyroid medicines can also be recommended to reduce the symptoms of hypothyroidism.
Treating cancerous nodules: It may include surgical intervention or could be treated with alcohol ablation. It involves injecting certain amount of alcohol to the nodules through syringe.
Thyroid storm is defined as a life threatening condition that occurs when hypothyroidism remains untreated for a longer period of time. Immediate medical attention is required to overcome the damage caused by the condition.
Thyroid medicines are known to target the produce the ameliorating hyper adrenergic effects of thyroid hormone on the peripheral tissues with the use of Beta- blockers. The complete treatment plan for thyroid storm is discussed as:
- Use of intravenous fluids and electrolytes
- Supply of oxygen, if required
- Antipyretics- To control the fever
- Intravenous Corticosteroids such as Hydrocortisone
- Thyroid medicines to block the production of thyroid hormones such as Propylthiouracil (PTU), Methimazole (Northyx, Tapazole)
- Beta blockers such as Propranolol (Inderal )
As soon as an individual is diagnosed with Papillary Thyroid Carcinoma, he has to undergo medical intervention.
Though Surgery is considered as the definitive management of Papillary Thyroid Carcinoma, once the individual underwent the surgical interventions, he has to go for radioactive therapy too. This therapy starts after the completion of 4- 6 weeks of surgery.
It is done to rule out any possibility of the presence of any metastasis of residual tissue in the thyroid.
Thyroid medicines are also advised that acts as a catalyst in improving the health condition of the individual. Treatment includes dosage of Levothyroxine at 2.5-3.5 mcg/kg/d.
Thyroid medicine during pregnancy
Generally more than half of the population has a doubt about using the thyroid medicine during pregnancy. The concern about the child and associated risks of the medicine are frequently discussed on various platforms.
It has been medically advised to take proper medication of thyroid medicines during the pregnancy. As the class of medicines are safe for the fetus and for the mother too.
The prescription from a medical practitioner is appreciated as it will further help you to get a clear idea about the safe dosages of thyroid medicines during pregnancy.
For the mothers, who already are diagnosed with Hypothyroidism are advised to take anti thyroid medicines. In the very first trimester, Propylthiouracil or PTU is advised to be taken. Methimazole could be also taken as an adjutant therapy.
Levothyroxine is also advised to be taken to control the level of thyroid in the body, as per advised by the doctor.
It is very important to keep your thyroid medicines regular during your pregnancy time. The primary role of these thyroid medicines is to ensure proper metabolic regulation is being carried out inside the body. This regulation will further mark the assurance of proper growth of child inside the womb.
Time to time visits to doctor, will help you to understand the progress of treatment.
This article has covered all the associated aspects of thyroid medicines in various categories of thyroid diseases.
Related Articles on “Thyroid”- You Must Be Interested In
- Causes of Thyroid Diseases, Nodules, Storm Carcinoma and Cancer
- Home Remedies for Thyroid problems, Underactive Low Thyroid & Weight Gain
- Hyperthyroidism Definition, Symptoms, Causes, Diet, Diagnosis, Treatment and Medication
- Hyperthyroidism in Cats: Causes, Symptoms, Diet, Prognosis, Remedies, Treatment & Life Expectancy
- Hyperthyroidism Symptoms in Women, Men and Cats with Causes and Treatments
- Hypothyroidism Causes, Symptoms, Types & Treatment in Women, Men & Cats
- Hypothyroidism Diet Plan Meal Chart: Best Diet for People with Hypothyroidism to Lose Weight
- Hypothyroidism Natural Treatment Options, Effects & Supplements for Weight Loss in Women/ Men
- Long Term Side Effects of Hypothyroidism in Baby, Males & Females During Pregnancy
- Papillary Thyroid Carcinoma Causes, Symptoms, Prevention & Treatment
- Parathyroid Gland Definition Disease Symptoms Function Level Test & Surgery
- Parathyroid Gland Location, Function, Size, Hormones, Disorders, Diagnosis & Treatment
- Subclinical Hypothyroidism Causes, Symptoms, Diet Treatment Guidelines & TSH Levels
- Symptoms of Hypothyroidism in Women, Men, Children Cats Checklist & Treatment
- Symptoms of Thyroid Adenoma, Cancer, Hypothyroidism & Hyperthyroidism
- Symptoms of Thyroid Cancer in Females & Males in Early & Advanced Stage
- Symptoms of Thyroid in Women During Thyroid Problems, Hypothyroidism & Hyperthyroidism
- Thyroid Adenoma Causes, Symptoms, Treatment & Surgery of Thyroid Adenoma
- Thyroid Cancer-Types, Causes, Symptoms & Treatment of Thyroid Cancer
- Thyroid Cure: Cure Thyroid Problems & Hypothyroidism Naturally & Permanently
- Thyroid Diet Plan for Thyroid Patient with Underactive Thyroid
- Thyroid Disease Definition Types Causes Symptoms Side Effects Tests & Treatment
- Thyroid Function Test Normal Values Interpretation Cost and Significance
- Thyroid Gland – Functions, Location, Hormones With Overactive & Underactive Thyroid
- Thyroid Hormone Synthesis Functions Levels Effects Diseases & Importance of T3 T4 TSH
- Thyroid in Pregnancy: Function, Low Thyroid Symptoms, Levels, Range Tests & Treatmment
- Thyroid Levels Chart Underactive, Low, High & Normal Thyroid Levels Range
- Thyroid Medicine Dosage, Side Effects & Natural Medicine for Hypothyroidism
- Thyroid Nodules Causes, Symptoms, Size, Surgery & Treatment of Thyroid Nodules
- Thyroid Nodules Symptoms & Causes of Cystic, Bilateral, Small Nodules
- Thyroid Problems in Women During Pregnancy Hypothyroidism and Hyperthyroidism
- Thyroid Profile T3-T4-TSH Normal Values, Range, Test Procedure Cost & Interpretation
- Thyroid Stimulating Hormone Effects, Normal Range, Levels, Disorders & Tests
- Thyroid Storm Causes, Symptoms, Management, and Treatment of Thyroid Storm
- Thyroid Symptoms in Men During Papillary Thyroid Carcinoma, Adenoma, Low Thyroid Cancer & Goiter
- Thyroid Test at Home & thyroid function Test for TSH Levels T3 & T4
- Thyroid Treatment for Hypothyroidism, Hyperthyroidism, Cancer, Adenoma & in Pregnancy
- Thyroidectomy Surgery Procedure Steps Scars Diet Types & Recovery complications
- Parathyroid Gland Definition Disease Symptoms Function Level Test & Surgery