What is thyroid profile?
Here is some brief description about the thyroid profile which readers should be aware about.
Thyroid gland is the most sensitive organ because it plays a vital role in maintaining energy metabolism of the body with the ultimate production of thyroid hormones.
Hormones production and secretion performs an active character in the functioning of the body wholly. But, in order to make our body function properly, hormonal production should be within an appropriate limit.
If any kind of over production or under production of hormones is caused, then doctor would advise an individual to undergo some tests which will reveal the disorder might be occurring with the thyroid gland.
There are several blood tests for thyroid profiles which are used in recognizing the fact that thyroid gland is working in a suitable way or not.
Out thyroid gland usually produces two kinds of hormones. They are as follows:-
T3 abbreviated as Triiodothyronine
T4 abbreviated as Thyroxine
TSH is abbreviated as Thyroid stimulating hormone
Above mentioned are the two major hormones produced by thyroid gland. If any of these hormones are not produced in an appropriate volume then this tells us that something is gone wrong with your thyroid profile.
There are two main causes that may appear in your body because of irregular production of hormones. They are as follows:-
Hypothyroidism is a cause when thyroid gland is not in a position of producing an adequate amount of T3 and T4 hormones. Symptoms that are associated with this cause are gained in weight, downheartedness and energy loss. Moreover, this is a cause in which thyroid profile TSH remains high.
Hyperthyroidism is another complaint with your thyroid profile. The prominent reason of occurrence is, when you get to know that your thyroid is producing an abnormal volume of T3 and T4 hormones. These high levels of hormones may lead you to suffer some symptoms i.e. nervousness at the highest level, loss in weight and shocks. However, this is an illness which is a cause of lower levels of thyroid profile TSH,
If any of these suffering are associated with your body, then do visit a doctor and report him/her both minor and major changes occurring in your body.
Doctor would recommend a patient to undergo with some thyroid profile test procedure like T4 and TSH test. If no clear picture came across with enduring these tests, then some further tests will be advised by the doctor in recognizing the root cause of the problem.
Thyroid Profile Normal Values
Thyroid profile depicts that whether our thyroid gland is working proactively or not. If hormonal secretion are in adequate sums, than there is no need to worry about it. But if in your lipid profile, some inappropriate hormonal disorder is detected, then do visit a doctor for ongoing some thyroid profile test.
T3, T4 and TSH are the three major hormones that breakdowns the food intake into energy. If any of the three hormones get interrupted then this might cause a problem in your body.
Undergoing with some thyroid profile test reveals that whether a sac present in the thyroid gland is consisted with the cancerous cells or not. Doctor would suggest the treatment plan after having the complete examination of the body.
Thyroid Profile Normal Range
TSH is a kind of blood test which discloses the cause of thyroid illness. There are number of laboratories and each of them has their highest and lowest normal value. This is also termed as a reference range which is simply a controller in depicting the range of normal condition of a person’s body. If a person falls within the normal range, then the report will display negative results whereas if some unusual condition is detected then the report will show positive results.
Following is the table drawn depending upon the clinical features of laboratory:-
|Name of Test||Reference Range(Lower limit – Upper limit)|
Serum Thyroxine (T4)
Free Thyroxine Fraction (FT4F)
Free Thyroxine (FT4)
Thyroid Hormone Binding Ratio (THBR)
Free Thyroxine Index (FT4I)
Serum Triiodothyronine (T3)
Free Triiodothyronine I (FT3)
Free T3 Index (FT3I)
Radioactive Iodine Uptake (RAIU)
Serum Thyrotropin (TSH)
Thyroxine- Binding Globulin (TBG)
TRH Stimulation Test Peak (TSH)
Serum Thyroglobin I (Tg)
Thyroid Microsomal Antibody Titer (TMAb)
Thyroglobulin Antibody Titer (TgAb)
| Lower limit Upper limit
|All ranges may vary from laboratory to laboratory|
Thyroid Profile Test
Here we will converse about why this test is mandatory?
The test is mandatory because it tell us that whether the hormones are functioning in a suitable manner or not. T3, T4 and TSH are the major hormones that depict the disorder of thyroid by having a complete thyroid profile test.
Thyroid profile test works simultaneously while treating the symptoms of thyroid diseases. For screening the hormonal imbalance state, people will undergo in having a complete thyroid profile test.
TSH is the hormone that produces by the pituitary gland, located inside the brain and any kind of imbalance of hormone may result into a cause of hypothyroidism, hyperthyroidism.
Sufficient level of hormonal production and secretion should be known after undertaking a complete thyroid test.
Importance of checkups
Screening includes variety of hormonal checks. TSH checkup is involved in the thyroid test procedure, so consult your doctor about the time schedule because it does not respond well if you have recently undertaken any sort of imaging test like X-ray. An appropriate time should be allotted by the doctor even for a pregnant woman of first trimester.
Thyroid profile test is mandatory especially for women, because there are higher chances of thyroid cancer in women as compared to men. There are some risk factors that induce an individual to go for an immediate thyroid profile test. Women of older age or near menopause have higher chances of causing a problem related to thyroid.
Thyroid profile test is mandatory for those persons who have some family background of causing thyroid cancer or some kind of genetic syndromes. Individuals who have undergone some radioactive therapies at their younger age may also maximize the reason of going under thyroid profile test.
A tumor can be felt by touch but whether it is cancerous or not is judged by having a thyroid test. If that test does not reveal a clear picture, then doctor would ask to have an ultrasound for more strong distinction.
Blood test for thyroid profile
There are three significant tests that are available for examining the thyroid gland. They are as follows:-
This is a blood test for thyroid profile which reveals the levels of the most significant hormone named triiodothyronine. T3, a blood test for thyroid profile depicts the cause of hyperthyroidism and how severe is the impact in our body.
This particular blood test tells us that our thyroid gland is over reactive in nature or not. Hyperthyroidism is a cause of overproduction of thyroid hormones in the blood stream which may lead you to some untraceable symptoms like anxiety, shock and loss in weight.
The standard limit of blood test for thyroid profile, especially for T3 is 100 – 200 ng/dl (nanograms of hormone per deciliter of blood).
Another blood test for thyroid profile which identifies that whether excess or insufficient production of hormones is due to the pituitary gland or thyroid gland is itself responsible for it.
T4 test is another term for thyroxine blood test for thyroid profile. Free T4 is the most significant blood test for thyroid profile which depicts that whether thyroid gland is performing its function in an adequate manner or not.
Results of both TSH and T4 blood test for thyroid profile help in moving to the conclusion that how well the thyroid gland is performing.
Thyroid stimulating hormone which measures the level of it in your stream of blood. This is one of the best thyroid profile test in understanding the level of hormones.
Hyperthyroidism is a cause when TSH levels are low in quantity while hypothyroidism takes place when there are high levels of TSH production in your body.
Overall, above mentioned blood test for thyroid profile helps in analyzing the level of hormones. Also, what causes may occur due to hormonal fluctuation in your thyroid gland.
Thyroid Profile test procedure
Thyroid profile test procedure is one of the simplest ways of screening the patient’s body. No fasting is necessary for undergoing a blood test for thyroid profile.
First trimester pregnant women will be suggested some different time phase for going under thyroid profile test procedure because there is a possibility that pregnancy will influence the results of the thyroid profile.
There are various steps that are included during the thyroid profile test procedure. They are as follows:-
- Visit to the laboratory or the doctor’s clinic where an availability of taking blood is there. This process of blood taking is known as venipuncture.
- Health professional will ask you to sit on the chair and take your sleeves up if you are carrying long sleeves.
- A nurse or some attendant will tie a rubber band on your arm, for complete visibility of the veins.
- As soon as the vein is detected, nurse will inset a fine needle into the vein and pull out your blood into the test tube.
- Now your blood is in the test tube, so he will send that container with your blood to the laboratory for examination.
- Now, the winding step towards thyroid profile test procedure is that nurse or an attendant will remove the needle out from your skin and put a bandage by applying some drops of spirit in it.
This is all about the thyroid profile test procedure. After having it, you may start your daily routine activities without any delay.
Thyroid Profile Test Cost
Test of thyroid profile is very economical. Costing is a word which varies from one laboratory to another. There are different packages running for several tests. There are some companies that provide health cards where an amount of premium or one fixed sum is given for having various types of tests and treatments.
Dr Lal PathLabs is one of the famous laboratories which are now available in most of the cities. They provide accurate results with an appropriate time.
As per our research, for T$, free T4, the cost of test is around 360 in terms of rupee and for TSH, it is 370 approx. It does vary from time to time and laboratory to laboratory. Above mentioned thyroid profile cost is not the exact amount, it is considered as an approximate sum.
Thyroid Profile TSH
Thyroid stimulating hormone is among the most vital thyroid profile test. Screening of thyroid profile is a mandatory process for those who have a family background of any kind of thyroid cancer or any personal history of genetic syndrome.
TSH is another blood test for thyroid profile which conveys us with some existing thyroid disorders.
The standard limit of thyroid profile TSH is 0.4- 4.0 mIU/L. If TSH limit is beyond 2.0 mIU/L, this will reflect the risk of causing hypothyroidism. Doctor would suggest TSH test after the end of every year. Though symptoms of hyperthyroidism are not traceable but still in order to reduce that some pills are suggested by the doctor so as to get rid of getting those signs worse.
For identifying the low working of thyroid gland, doctor would suggest to perform T4 and TSH test on new-born babies more frequently.
Thyroid Profile Interpretation
Analysis of thyroid profile is simple as compared to several other tests. Both men and women suffer from one or the other kind of thyroid diseases. Women have more chances of occurrence of complaints with thyroid gland.
Symptoms of thyroid diseases are not noticeable at early stages. An easy test will have a capability of recognizing the thyroid problem. TSH is the first and foremost which tells us about the levels of hormones. If any imbalance level of hormone is identified with the test report, then doctor will recommend an appropriate treatment for reducing the sufferings.
Thyroid Profile total serum
Thyroid profile total serum proves to be beneficial in analyzing the job of thyroid gland in a human body. There are certain benchmarks for the production and secretion of the hormones. If that limit crosses the total serum than your body may suffer from some kind of thyroid complaint.
Person should visit to a doctor for going under the screening of the complete thyroid profile. Pregnant woman or if a woman is having contraceptive pills, then do report this to your doctor, because it may have some variations with your thyroid profile. As a result, which will impact your complete blood test for thyroid results.
Thyroid antibody profile
On the basis of anti-thyroid antibodies autoimmune thyroid problems are being assessed . Probability of having a thyroid antibody increases if the thyroid profile is suspected with some autoimmune illness with the thyroid gland.
Thyroid peroxidase antibodies (TPOAb), thyroglobulin antibodies (TgAb) and thyroid stimulating hormone are the crucial antibodies of thyroid profile.
There is no standard range for thyroid antibodies because it depends upon several factors.
Thyroid profile T3 & T4
Thyroid is a butter fly shaped gland that intakes food and releases two major hormones T3 and T4 which helps in regulating the rate of energy metabolism.
T3 & T4 is the complete blood test for thyroid profile which was undertaken in identifying the exact cause of occurrence of thyroid disorder in your body. Thyroid profile T3 & T4 also helps in measuring the level of free T4 and T3 hormones secreting into the stream of the blood.
Thyroid profile T3 & T4 is an easiest method to test the complete thyroid profile of a human body. Moreover, this blood test for thyroid profile also helps in determining the level of thyroid stimulating hormone which was secreted by the pituitary gland in the human body.
Complete thyroid profile vs thyroid function profile
There is not that much distinction between complete thyroid profile and thyroid function profile. They are the words that used interchangeably. But still in terms of the test reports they differ.
Complete thyroid profile includes test of thyroid stimulating hormone, thyroxine, free thyroxine, uptake levels of triiodothyronine and free levels of triiodothyronine.
Thyroid function profile analyses how well the thyroid gland is performing. It includes various tests like T3, T4, TSH and T3RU(T3 Resin Uptake Results). It determines the cause of hyperthyroidism and hypothyroidism.
Thyroid profile test results and analysis
Thyroid profile test results include the test of T3, T4, TSH and T3RU. T4 and TSH test are the hormones which are be using together. T4 test is the test of thyroxine hormone level which determines the cause of hyperthyroidism.
TSH test is another term for thyroid stimulating hormone. This articulates the measure of level of TSH production from the pituitary gland.
Thyroid profile T3 test measures the level of triiodothyronine hormone. This is a symbol that whether our thyroid gland is overcharging and showing the results of hyperthyroidism. This test also shows the signs of Grave’s disease.
T3RU is also termed as T3 resin uptake which measures the actions of thyroxine binding globulin.
A high level of TBG determines the kidney illness. Also, some sign of not receiving adequate amount protein level inside the human body.
Significance of thyroid profile during pregnancy
Level of hormones will be getting disturb, due to an availability of symptom of pregnancy in the woman. Thyroid stimulating hormone is the most important hormone that reflects an adequate amount of hormone secretion into the blood stream.
T3 and T4 hormones increase by 50 percent during the span of pregnancy. Thyroid stimulating hormone lowers down during the trimesters of pregnancy.
In a nutshell, pregnancy influences the impact of thyroid test results.
Related Articles on “Thyroid”- You Must Be Interested In
- Causes of Thyroid Diseases, Nodules, Storm Carcinoma and Cancer
- Home Remedies for Thyroid problems, Underactive Low Thyroid & Weight Gain
- Hyperthyroidism Definition, Symptoms, Causes, Diet, Diagnosis, Treatment and Medication
- Hyperthyroidism in Cats: Causes, Symptoms, Diet, Prognosis, Remedies, Treatment & Life Expectancy
- Hyperthyroidism Symptoms in Women, Men and Cats with Causes and Treatments
- Hypothyroidism Causes, Symptoms, Types & Treatment in Women, Men & Cats
- Hypothyroidism Diet Plan Meal Chart: Best Diet for People with Hypothyroidism to Lose Weight
- Hypothyroidism Natural Treatment Options, Effects & Supplements for Weight Loss in Women/ Men
- Long Term Side Effects of Hypothyroidism in Baby, Males & Females During Pregnancy
- Papillary Thyroid Carcinoma Causes, Symptoms, Prevention & Treatment
- Parathyroid Gland Definition Disease Symptoms Function Level Test & Surgery
- Parathyroid Gland Location, Function, Size, Hormones, Disorders, Diagnosis & Treatment
- Subclinical Hypothyroidism Causes, Symptoms, Diet Treatment Guidelines & TSH Levels
- Symptoms of Hypothyroidism in Women, Men, Children Cats Checklist & Treatment
- Symptoms of Thyroid Adenoma, Cancer, Hypothyroidism & Hyperthyroidism
- Symptoms of Thyroid Cancer in Females & Males in Early & Advanced Stage
- Symptoms of Thyroid in Women During Thyroid Problems, Hypothyroidism & Hyperthyroidism
- Thyroid Adenoma Causes, Symptoms, Treatment & Surgery of Thyroid Adenoma
- Thyroid Cancer-Types, Causes, Symptoms & Treatment of Thyroid Cancer
- Thyroid Cure: Cure Thyroid Problems & Hypothyroidism Naturally & Permanently
- Thyroid Diet Plan for Thyroid Patient with Underactive Thyroid
- Thyroid Disease Definition Types Causes Symptoms Side Effects Tests & Treatment
- Thyroid Function Test Normal Values Interpretation Cost and Significance
- Thyroid Gland – Functions, Location, Hormones With Overactive & Underactive Thyroid
- Thyroid Hormone Synthesis Functions Levels Effects Diseases & Importance of T3 T4 TSH
- Thyroid in Pregnancy: Function, Low Thyroid Symptoms, Levels, Range Tests & Treatmment
- Thyroid Levels Chart Underactive, Low, High & Normal Thyroid Levels Range
- Thyroid Medicine Dosage, Side Effects & Natural Medicine for Hypothyroidism
- Thyroid Nodules Causes, Symptoms, Size, Surgery & Treatment of Thyroid Nodules
- Thyroid Nodules Symptoms & Causes of Cystic, Bilateral, Small Nodules
- Thyroid Problems in Women During Pregnancy Hypothyroidism and Hyperthyroidism
- Thyroid Profile T3-T4-TSH Normal Values, Range, Test Procedure Cost & Interpretation
- Thyroid Stimulating Hormone Effects, Normal Range, Levels, Disorders & Tests
- Thyroid Storm Causes, Symptoms, Management, and Treatment of Thyroid Storm
- Thyroid Symptoms in Men During Papillary Thyroid Carcinoma, Adenoma, Low Thyroid Cancer & Goiter
- Thyroid Test at Home & thyroid function Test for TSH Levels T3 & T4
- Thyroid Treatment for Hypothyroidism, Hyperthyroidism, Cancer, Adenoma & in Pregnancy
- Thyroidectomy Surgery Procedure Steps Scars Diet Types & Recovery complications
- Parathyroid Gland Definition Disease Symptoms Function Level Test & Surgery
Hope this article proves to be productive for all our readers!!
Stay connected and be as healthy as always!!