Thyroid symptoms in men can be identified by various signs. This article is going to help you in the same part. Similar to women, men also face some serious thyroid issues, which are also very important for everyone to be aware of.
What are Thyroid Symptoms?
The thyroid issues arise from the malfunctioning of the thyroid gland. At times it can be the underactive thyroid gland or other may be the overactive thyroid gland, the different types of thyroid cancer can also be the reason behind this.
The most commonly relevant thyroid symptoms in men are:
- Gaining the weight or losing it drastically, without even trying.
- The hair loss and thinning of the hair is also one, which leads to bad quality of the hair. This is a very common thyroid symptoms in men.
- Fatigue or weakness is one of the most common thyroid symptoms in men and women. This is due to the over or under-production of the thyroid hormones, which cause weakness in thyroid patients.
- An enlarged thyroid gland or a goiter is one of the most common thyroid symptoms in men. This is because of the malfunctioning of the thyroid gland showing the swelling of the neck.
- Sleeplessness is also the thyroid symptoms in men and women, which is due to the restlessness in case of hyperthyroidism.
- Low or high blood pressure comes along the problem.
- The faster or slower rate of the heart shows the thyroid symptoms in men. If it becomes severe in some untreated cases, it may lead to the cardiac arrest to them because of the uncontrolled heart rate.
The thyroid symptoms in men are performed through physical exams as well.
Causes of Thyroid Symptoms in Men
In between the happenings related to thyroid issues, we are unaware of what causes these problems. There are many reasons behind the causal of thyroid symptoms in men.
The major factors are like:
- The deficiency of selenium in men causes thyroid symptoms in men. The selenium deficiency can also be the reason behind the prostate cancer. So a proper intake of selenium supplements helps in controlling the thyroid symptoms and prostate cancer both.
- The other reason is the low amount of male hormonal secretion, i.e., low testosterone also causes the thyroid symptoms in men to appear. The testosterone is mainly involved in causing Hashimoto’s disease, and many other thyroid problems as well.
- High or low iodine intake also leads to overactive or underactive thyroid glands.
- If there is a family history of thyroid diseases, especially in males of the family then the thyroid symptoms in men can appear with a greater probability.
- Men who work in high energy radiations for prolonged hours then it may also become the causal of thyroid diseases to them, causing the thyroid hormonal imbalance as well.
Let’s see what can be the early symptoms of thyroid in men.
Early Symptoms of Thyroid in Men
There are some of the signs that initially show the early thyroid symptoms in men. Men show somewhat different signs of thyroid than in women.
That can be:
- Becoming angry quickly and losing temper shortly
- Getting tired up easily, frequent fatigues
- Hair fall and thinning of hair
- Low tolerance to heat
- Weight gain or loss
- Low or no interest in sex
- Vomiting and nausea can also be the thyroid symptoms in men
- These symptoms when noticed should never be ignored. Thyroid diseases like Hashimoto’s disease cause hypothyroidism, i.e., low thyroid hormone level. Also, Graves’ disease is the main causal of hyperthyroidism, i.e., high secretion of thyroid hormone.
- These diseases when in acute conditions cause thyroid cells inflammation, i.e., Thyroiditis. Men and women are it of any class, should be very cautious of these thyroid problems.
Symptoms of Thyroid Problems in Men
Lot many symptoms can be counted, when the thyroid problems show up. Similar to the women, thyroid symptoms in men are easily observable. So, as soon as you observe them go for a diagnosis, that may involve several thyroid tests of thyroid symptoms in men, and get treated.
The symptoms appearing are:
Weight loss or weight gain
Men face tremendous weight gain or loss, in case of thyroid symptoms in men. The weight gain takes place in the underactive thyroid gland, as it tends to slow and weak metabolism. While the weight loss occurs in the overactive thyroid gland, as here the metabolism is very high.
This is among the most common thyroid symptoms in men.
Depression or anxiety
Depression is a sign of underactive thyroid gland or Hashimoto’s, it is because the grain receives slow signals and the heart works slower than normal.
In contrary to that, anxiety, anger, the short-tempered behavior of men happens due to the overactive thyroid gland. The heart rate heightens and brains work much faster than normal, which tends to mood fluctuations.
Low or high blood pressure
The thyroid hormonal imbalance leads to fluctuations in the blood pressure in men. High blood pressure is the very common thyroid symptoms in men.
Hair fall or hair thinning
The hair tends to become weaker due to thyroid levels fluctuations, especially in case of low thyroid. The hair becomes weak and thin; hair fall also starts in these thyroid symptoms in men.
Slow or fast heart rate
When the hypothyroidism occurs in men, they may face slower heart rate due to slow mechanism taking place in the body. While in case of hyperthyroidism, men face faster heart rate and faster pulse; initially, it is a kind of common thyroid symptoms in men.
But, when this symptom becomes aggressive in thyroid storm, and can also lead to heart failure. Hence, before this symptom aggravates you need a checkup.
Thyroid problems lead to poor digestion. Especially when it is hyperthyroidism, the bowel movements speed up and may lead to diarrhea.
Fatigue or weakness, along with vomiting
The low or high thyroid causes the poor digestion, also a very fast or slow metabolism. The fast metabolism leads to high combustion of energy in the body, causing weakness and fatigue. Extreme cases can cause vomiting.
The above mentioned are the thyroid symptoms in men of various thyroid problems. Next, we will jump into the thyroid symptoms in men under 30.
Thyroid Symptoms in Men under 30
Under the age of 30 years men facing thyroid issues, suffer from several unusual symptoms that relate with the vital functionalities in their body. These thyroid symptoms in men, due to thyroid hormone imbalance are mostly also related to a disturbance in the testosterone level in their body.
- There is an increase in fatigue and weakness in the body of men.
- They also face low libido/ sex drive due to low thyroid.
- These thyroid symptoms in men under 30 is also the add-on to erectile dysfunction and another sexual malfunctioning.
- There are low muscle strength and muscle growth also alleviates.
- Also, men suffer from abrupt weight loss or gain that is incurable.
- Men also face depression or high anxiety and nervousness due to the low or high thyroid hormone level.
- The thyroid symptoms in men may also include sudden tremors in acute cases.
- The skin changes and becomes dull and dry due to the thyroid problem.
- A poor digestion may lead to constipation in case of hypothyroidism, and diarrhea in case of hyperthyroidism. This is just the matter of metabolism fluctuations.
These are the thyroid symptoms in men under 30, that leads to mainly the fertility issues and internal strength and stamina of their body that gets influenced.
Overactive Thyroid Symptoms in Men
The overactive thyroid symptoms in men, i.e., for hyperthyroidism symptoms in men are contrary to low thyroid issues. Let’s discuss what they are:
- High metabolism causes weakness in the body. The more the body uses its internal energy the more body feels weaker.
- Weight loss without trying a bit even
- Overactive thyroid disturbs the internal homeostasis of the body, also creating an irregularity in the heart rate and pulse.
- The skin becomes dry and dull
- Sweating increases due to hyperthyroidism, due to more of the metabolism.
- The overactive thyroid symptoms lead to nervousness and increase in anxiety and anger in men.
- It also tends to a high blood pressure this is the most common but very dangerous thyroid symptoms in men.
- The goiter or enlarged thyroid gland is also due to the hyperactivity of the glands.
- The overactive thyroid glands increase the muscle strength, thus increasing the testosterone level in their body.
- The thyroid symptoms in men lead to low concentration due to the overactive thyroid.
- Poor digestion also causes increased bowel movements, tending into diarrhea.
These thyroid symptoms in men due to overactive thyroid should be controlled on time, else it may lead cardiac arrest and strokes as well in men.
Low Thyroid Symptoms in Men
The low thyroid means when the thyroid disorder leads to low production of thyroid hormone from the thyroid glands of the person. This is also known as Hypothyroidism. Then further changes take place in the body due to low thyroid level, causing many thyroid symptoms in men to flaunt off.
These symptoms are:
- Fatigue due to hypothyroidism is among the thyroid symptoms in men.
- Weight gain starts with hypothyroidism because of the slow metabolism in the body.
- Enlarged thyroid glands or goiter is also among the thyroid symptoms in men, due to thyroid imbalance.
- Depression is also caused due to low thyroid
- The hair fall and dull skin are the low thyroid symptoms in men.
- The underactive thyroid glands also lead to low blood pressure and low heart rate in the men.
These low thyroid symptoms in men should be checked on time. The treatment uses thyroid hormone replacement therapy to balance the thyroid level.
Thyroid Symptoms in Men during Thyroid Cancer
Thyroid cancer stands for the abnormal outgrowth of the thyroid cells that change into cancerous cells, forming a tumor in the thyroid gland.
The thyroid symptoms in men during thyroid cancer, match to somewhat the hypothyroidism in men. The thyroid cancer is more common in women than in men. Still, we must know the thyroid symptoms in men during thyroid cancer because it may happen 1 in 50.
The thyroid cancer is of 4 types, i.e., Papillary, Follicular, Medullary, and Anaplastic. Among them, Papillary thyroid cancer is the most common to occur in men. The thyroid symptoms in men during thyroid cancer are:
- The enlarged thyroid gland or goiter, due to the formation of the tumor in the thyroid gland.
- The hoarseness in the voice
- Persistent pain in the neck, due to tumor in the gland
- There is trouble in swallowing food and in breathing due to the enlarged gland.
- A permanent sore throat
These thyroid symptoms in men during thyroid cancer are treated by the surgery, Thyroidectomy; radioactive iodine therapy, and thyroid hormone replacement therapy.
Thyroid Symptoms in Men in Thyroid Adenoma
Thyroid adenoma also stands for the thyroid nodules in the thyroid glands of the patient. Nodules are the lumps present in the glands that arise abruptly. Most of the thyroid adenoma is benign.
Thyroid symptoms in men in thyroid adenoma are lesser than in women. Women suffer more than men in this disorder. 1 in 40 men under the age of 30 suffers from thyroid symptoms due to adenoma.
The symptoms are:
- Swelling due to presence of lumps in the neck
- There is rarely any difficulty due to adenoma, but if its number and size increase in the thyroid glands, then it may cause discomfort.
- There can also be trouble in swallowing food at times due to thyroid symptoms in men in thyroid adenoma.
- In severe cases, there also persists the pain in the neck.
These are the commonly known thyroid symptoms in men in thyroid adenoma.
Thyroid Symptoms in Men during Papillary Thyroid Carcinoma
The thyroid symptoms in men during Papillary Thyroid Carcinoma are way different from the other types of thyroid cancer. Yes, papillary thyroid carcinoma is the most common type of thyroid cancer caused in men. The probability of occurring is 80% of all thyroid cancers.
“Papillary thyroid carcinoma is the spread and abrupt growth of the cancer cells throughout the thyroid glands. It is still more common in females than males.”
In more than half of its cases, it is spread outside the gland, i.e., to the lymph nodes and also to the lungs of the body. It is mostly caused due to the prolonged radiation exposure of men.
The thyroid symptoms in men during papillary thyroid carcinoma are:
- Continuous throat pain
- A sore throat, when this becomes severe the nodes also swell up and there appears swelling in the neck
- Difficulty in swallowing food and breathing
The treatment for thyroid symptoms in men during papillary thyroid carcinoma is radioactive iodine therapy. But, when the glands have a severe infection due to cancer cells it may result into Thyroidectomy.
Thyroid Symptoms in Men in Goiter
The enlarged thyroid glands or Goiter is the swelling in the neck. It may be due to overactive or underactive thyroid glands, and also Hashimoto’s and Graves’ disease. The iodine deficiency also causes Goiter.
Talking about the thyroid symptoms in men in Goiter is not so dreadful and harmful to men, but still, a matter of concern when the swelling increases.
Thus, the thyroid symptoms in men in goiter are:
- Hoarseness or roughness in the voice
- Trouble in swallowing food
- In severe cases, trouble in breathing too
- Discomfort and a sore throat
Thus, goiter has got only one solution in its treatment. It is thus, the surgery through which the complete gland is removed in order to treat the goiter. This is further followed by the thyroid hormone replacement therapy in order to maintain the balance of thyroid hormone and thus, the body metabolism.
Prevention of Thyroid Symptoms in Men
To prevent thyroid symptoms in men, you just need to maintain a proper healthy diet and your lifestyle.
- A sluggish and too casual lifestyle may increase the risk of thyroid symptoms in men.
- Men generally rely on junk foods or refrigerated food, in order to avoid cooking. They must avoid this habit and make a habit of eating freshly cooked food items.
- Men who smoke and take more of alcohol increase the thyroid risk in their bodies.
- A regular fitness regime and a disciplined life help keep the body fit and free of hidden ailments. So, is the thyroid symptoms in men arise only when we lack in physical exercise.
- A proper intake of Iodine in our diet can keep us from thyroid disorders.
- The stressful life of men also leads to the onset of the thyroid symptoms in men. The more they take care of themselves and strive for the peace of mind, the more stress will run away from you. Try doing Meditation and Yoga; it keeps the balance and peace of mind.
I hope these tips can help to stay away from the thyroid symptoms in men and women. Let’s discuss what a proper diet to get the control on thyroid is.
Diet during Thyroid Symptoms in Men
Friends! Here you need to pay attention more. Now as we know thyroid symptoms in men vary with different thyroid problems. Therefore, the diet to avoid these symptoms also varies.
There is a different diet plan for underactive and overactive thyroid glands. Let’s have a look.
- First foremost thing drink plenty of water, it will help metabolism balance.
- Eat more of fibrous food, and avoid junk and oily food.
Food for Hypothyroidism
- In order to avoid thyroid symptoms in men in hypothyroidism, one needs to take proper iodine supplements in their diet.
- Take more of iodized salts, sea foods, fish and fish cod oil.
- Also, intake of dairy products will help more.
- Eat more of cherries, tomatoes, berries and sea vegetables.
- Avoid red meat and soya products in case of hypothyroidism.
Food for Hyperthyroidism
- Olive oil, honey, apricot, and walnuts are very helpful in controlling the thyroid symptoms in men with an overactive thyroid.
- Also, raw veggies like juices of broccoli, spinach, cabbage, etc., are helpful in curing.
- In case of hyperthyroidism in men, the avoidable foods are red meat, alcohol, caffeine, pasta, bread, seafood containing more iodine, soft drinks, and food containing more of sugar content.
This may help alleviate the thyroid symptoms in men.
Treatment of Thyroid Symptoms in Men
The different thyroid disorders have different treatment methods. Before that, a proper thyroid diagnosis, through blood tests and thyroid tests helps in confirming the thyroid disorder.
To treat the thyroid symptoms in men, you need to get an overview of it, before consulting with the doctor. Let’s have a look at the different treatment of thyroid symptoms in men.
This problem is cured by the thyroid hormone replacement therapy. In the underactive thyroid, the thyroid hormone undergoes low production, thus, we need a substitute to cure the thyroid symptoms in men arising due to this.
The synthetic form of thyroid hormone is given to the patient in form of pills.
In case of hyperthyroidism in men, the Radioactive iodine therapy helps to kill the excess of thyroid cells, in order to lessen the production of thyroid hormone and the thyroid symptoms in men.
In case of goiter, or the enlarged thyroid gland is treated with the surgery only. Surgery, i.e., Thyroidectomy is the only way to remove the complete goiter, the thyroid gland. The removal of gland follows the thyroid hormone replacement therapy because the body requires thyroid hormone now.
Thyroid Nodule or Thyroid Adenoma
Thyroid adenoma is generally least harmful in causing thyroid symptoms in men. But, if it becomes severe then the thyroid nodules or lumps are removed by surgery. The nodules may also cause hyperactive thyroid glands, which are further treated by the radioactive iodine therapy, to eliminate the thyroid cells.
Thyroid cancer has got different types of treatment for different types and stages to eliminate thyroid symptoms in men. If the cancer cells form a tumor, which becomes overly large in the thyroid gland then the surgery is the best treatment, i.e., Thyroidectomy, which removes all the thyroid gland infected by the tumor.
This treatment is followed by the thyroid hormone therapy to replace the lack of the thyroid hormone and alleviate thyroid symptoms in men.
Now when the cancer cells invade in other parts of the gland, then it is treated by the Radioactive Iodine Therapy, which kills the cancer cells and let the gland function normally.
These are the treatments of different thyroid symptoms in men to different problems.
I hope this article has piled you up with plenty of required info of the thyroid symptoms in men. Now, I feel you can take the charge of your health.
Related Articles on “Thyroid”- You Must Be Interested In
- Causes of Thyroid Diseases, Nodules, Storm Carcinoma and Cancer
- Home Remedies for Thyroid problems, Underactive Low Thyroid & Weight Gain
- Hyperthyroidism Definition, Symptoms, Causes, Diet, Diagnosis, Treatment and Medication
- Hyperthyroidism in Cats: Causes, Symptoms, Diet, Prognosis, Remedies, Treatment & Life Expectancy
- Hyperthyroidism Symptoms in Women, Men and Cats with Causes and Treatments
- Hypothyroidism Causes, Symptoms, Types & Treatment in Women, Men & Cats
- Hypothyroidism Diet Plan Meal Chart: Best Diet for People with Hypothyroidism to Lose Weight
- Hypothyroidism Natural Treatment Options, Effects & Supplements for Weight Loss in Women/ Men
- Long Term Side Effects of Hypothyroidism in Baby, Males & Females During Pregnancy
- Papillary Thyroid Carcinoma Causes, Symptoms, Prevention & Treatment
- Parathyroid Gland Definition Disease Symptoms Function Level Test & Surgery
- Parathyroid Gland Location, Function, Size, Hormones, Disorders, Diagnosis & Treatment
- Subclinical Hypothyroidism Causes, Symptoms, Diet Treatment Guidelines & TSH Levels
- Symptoms of Hypothyroidism in Women, Men, Children Cats Checklist & Treatment
- Symptoms of Thyroid Adenoma, Cancer, Hypothyroidism & Hyperthyroidism
- Symptoms of Thyroid Cancer in Females & Males in Early & Advanced Stage
- Symptoms of Thyroid in Women During Thyroid Problems, Hypothyroidism & Hyperthyroidism
- Thyroid Adenoma Causes, Symptoms, Treatment & Surgery of Thyroid Adenoma
- Thyroid Cancer-Types, Causes, Symptoms & Treatment of Thyroid Cancer
- Thyroid Cure: Cure Thyroid Problems & Hypothyroidism Naturally & Permanently
- Thyroid Diet Plan for Thyroid Patient with Underactive Thyroid
- Thyroid Disease Definition Types Causes Symptoms Side Effects Tests & Treatment
- Thyroid Function Test Normal Values Interpretation Cost and Significance
- Thyroid Gland – Functions, Location, Hormones With Overactive & Underactive Thyroid
- Thyroid Hormone Synthesis Functions Levels Effects Diseases & Importance of T3 T4 TSH
- Thyroid in Pregnancy: Function, Low Thyroid Symptoms, Levels, Range Tests & Treatmment
- Thyroid Levels Chart Underactive, Low, High & Normal Thyroid Levels Range
- Thyroid Medicine Dosage, Side Effects & Natural Medicine for Hypothyroidism
- Thyroid Nodules Causes, Symptoms, Size, Surgery & Treatment of Thyroid Nodules
- Thyroid Nodules Symptoms & Causes of Cystic, Bilateral, Small Nodules
- Thyroid Problems in Women During Pregnancy Hypothyroidism and Hyperthyroidism
- Thyroid Profile T3-T4-TSH Normal Values, Range, Test Procedure Cost & Interpretation
- Thyroid Stimulating Hormone Effects, Normal Range, Levels, Disorders & Tests
- Thyroid Storm Causes, Symptoms, Management, and Treatment of Thyroid Storm
- Thyroid Symptoms in Men During Papillary Thyroid Carcinoma, Adenoma, Low Thyroid Cancer & Goiter
- Thyroid Test at Home & thyroid function Test for TSH Levels T3 & T4
- Thyroid Treatment for Hypothyroidism, Hyperthyroidism, Cancer, Adenoma & in Pregnancy
- Thyroidectomy Surgery Procedure Steps Scars Diet Types & Recovery complications
- Parathyroid Gland Definition Disease Symptoms Function Level Test & Surgery
Hope this article proves to be productive for all our readers!!
Stay connected and be as healthy as always!!