This article covers all aspects of thyroid treatment available for Hypothyroidism, Hyperthyroidism, Thyroid Adenoma, Papillary Thyroid Carcinoma, Goiter and health problems during pregnancy in women and men. Health is what takes the most important place for all of us. Same in the terms of health is the thyroid related problems and thyroid treatment. It is so, because thyroid takes the utmost place to keep up the good health.
What is Thyroid Treatment?
To understand all kinds of thyroid treatment, we should first understand what thyroid and related problems are?
What is Thyroid?
“Thyroid is the disease that happens due to the over or under functioning of the thyroid gland. As, we all understand that the thyroid glands help in production of thyroid hormones, which participate in the vital functions of the body.”
Thyroid related issues can take place in any one, be it a male or a female. Though females are more vulnerable to the thyroid issues, still there are many types of thyroid treatment for these problems. The thyroid treatment includes surgery, medications, hormone replacement therapy and radiation therapy.
The thyroid treatment depends on the type and acuteness of the thyroid disease.
What is Thyroid Treatment?
There are different types of thyroid treatment:
- Medications help in replacing the insufficient amount of thyroid hormones in the case of Hypothyroidism. This therefore, includes normal synthetic thyroid pills in the form of thyroid treatment.
- In case of Hyperthyroidism, the medication or the therapy is given to control the release of thyroid hormone from the glands. This thyroid treatment is followed by the medication that helps control the adverse effects of hyperthyroidism, such as high pulse rate, and blood pressure.
- In the case of overactive thyroid treatment, if medicines are not sufficient; radioactive iodine therapy becomes useful. This destroys the excess thyroid cells, controlling the production of hormone.
- Thyroid treatment through Surgery, this is helpful in the most severe cases, when the complete thyroid gland is destroyed or infected from any of the thyroid diseases.
- Like, in thyroid cancer, surgery is useful to remove the tumor or, if the complete gland is covered then thyroidectomy is done.
- In Graves’ disease or in thyroid enlargement, goiter the surgery is suitable that removes complete gland.
Underactive Thyroid Treatment
The Underactive Thyroid Gland stands for the gland that has low or insufficient production of thyroid hormone. The thyroid treatment to this problem is Daily Thyroid Hormone Replacement Tablets, i.e., Levothyroxine.
Levothyroxine medicine is known as the best thyroid treatment for underactive thyroid gland. As this medicine compensates all the scarcity of thyroid hormone, and makes a proper balance.
- The initial thyroid treatment steps involve regular blood tests, in order to check the blood hormone level, thyroid level. It can take some time, but is a sure shot solution.
- Next the thyroid treatment of levothyroxine is started with low doses. The doses increase gradually under the supervision of doctors, testing the responses of the body towards the medicine.
- Still a regular blood test, twice a year is recommended to keep a check of the thyroid level, and the condition of the underactive thyroid gland.
- To some it may be a thyroid treatment for lifetime. But in some cases, if there is improvement in thyroid level without medication, then the thyroid treatment might get over.
Underactive Thyroid Natural Treatment
Apart from the Allopath and synthetic type of treatment, there are many natural thyroid treatment that may become useful in case of underactive thyroid treatment. They can be some of the most common herbs found around us. Though there can be some that are hard to find, still natural treatment has its own benefits.
What are the herbs for underactive thyroid treatment:
Ashwagandha is the herb that features alleviating the thyroid, body stress, and keeping hormone levels better. A daily dose of 500 milligrams helps balance T4 levels in the body. It is also known as an herbal remedy for the Stress Manager.
Iodine deficiency is in some or the other way a causes of thyroid diseases is basically. A small dose of iodine in our diet daily can help maintain a good thyroid health. The treatment in case of underactive thyroid gland can be cured by the iodine rich diet (250 milligrams) daily.
But one need to be careful if there is a case of Hashimoto’s disease, exceeding iodine could cause harm to the body. The iodine is abundantly present in the dried algae and sea weeds, and many more sea foods.
If consumed properly, iodine can come out to be the best natural underactive thyroid treatment for the patients.
Selenium is the element present most abundantly in the thyroid glands, as compared to other parts of the body. The requirement of Selenium on daily basis is 200 micrograms. It helps in proper production of T3 hormones.
It also helps during Hashimoto’s disease and pregnancy, for thyroid treatment naturally, by decreasing antibodies present in the thyroid gland. Selenium as a supplements come as Selenomethionine, in form of capsules that can be taken directly.
L-tyrosine is an amino acid used in the synthesis of thyroid hormones. It helps in the production of T4 hormones in the underactive thyroid gland. Thus, it helps as a natural treatment. It must be consumed daily in 500 milligrams amount.
5. Fish oil
Fish oil contains essential fatty acids in proper functioning of the brain and the thyroid glands. Thus, this thyroid treatment helps in relieving from the symptoms of thyroid and stress. The daily consumption should be 1000 milligrams per day.
6. Vitamin B – Complex
Vitamin B complex is healthy for the complete body and should be consumed on daily basis, by everyone. They come in capsules form, which is good for one a day. Vitamin B improves the neurological and endocrine functions of the body.
So, it is a good remedy.
7. Some essential Oils
Oils like Coconut oil, lemongrass oil and clove oil, helps healing out the thyroid dysfunctions. Rubbing them on your neck, provides relief in the stress, thyroid issues, like low hormone production, etc.
8. Some other food for thyroid control
There are some more fruits and cereals, etc., that help in thyroid treatment are – strawberry, flax seeds, kiwi, ginger, kidney beans, coriander, broccoli, lime, etc.
Let’s see what thyroid cancer treatment is?
Thyroid Cancer Treatment
Thyroid cancer is the abnormal growth of cancerous cells in the thyroid gland. There are many thyroid treatment to cure the cancer. They are:
Surgery is used in the thyroid treatment to remove the tumor from the gland. The removal can be of the lobe of the gland (lobectomy), or the complete removal of the thyroid gland (thyroidectomy), or when lymph nodes are removed (lymphectomy). The thyroid treatment depends on the level of infection of the cancerous cells in the gland.
Radiation therapy and Radioactive Iodine Therapy
The radiation therapy is used in the thyroid cancer treatment to eliminate the cancer cells left after the surgery in the thyroid gland. It is also used in the treatment to destroy the tumor through the high-energy radiations.
Radioactive Iodine is also used in thyroid treatment. They help killing the thyroid cancer cells. Though radioactive element is often useful in hyperthyroidism treatment, still helps in thyroid cancer as well.
The cancer cells in thyroid if start invading into other nearby organs, lymph nodes, or blood; then they are killed by this treatment “Chemotherapy”. This helps in destruction of all the cancerous cells and tumors present in the body of a thyroid cancer patient. The doctors give these anti-cancer high dose drugs either orally or through injecting into the bloodstream.
Thyroid hormone therapy
The thyroid hormone therapy is the thyroid treatment that uses the synthetic thyroid hormone that induces the gland cells in producing thyroid hormone normally. This thyroid treatment also helps in killing the cancer cells present in the thyroid glands. The best part here is that the deficiency of thyroid hormone is replaced by this thyroid treatment.
The targeted therapy in case of thyroid cancer constitutes the anti-cancer drugs insertion to the target part only, which is infected by cancer. This thyroid treatment is similar to the chemotherapy, just the difference is here only the cancerous organ or tissue is attacked by the drug.
Apart from the thyroid cancer, there are many thyroid problems that men and women may face. Now I will take you to the different types of Thyroid Treatment that cure these diseases.
Thyroid Disease Treatment
The thyroid treatment regarding the different diseases varies, due to their types and acuteness.
The thyroid treatment is:
Medication: thyroid diseases like hypothyroidism get the treatment through synthetic thyroid hormone pills that are taken on daily basis. Hashimoto’s disease also leads to hypothyroidism. Here also thyroid hormone replacement therapy is useful as a thyroid treatment.
Radioactive iodine therapy: In case of Hyperthyroidism, the radioactive iodine therapy is useful. It helps in killing the excess of thyroid producing cells in the gland. Thus, controls the secretion of thyroid hormone in the body.
This thyroid treatment helps in the cure of Graves’ disease as well, as this disease leads to hyperthyroidism.
Surgery: In the thyroid treatment, surgery is useful only in severe cases. When the goiter or thyroid enlargement is not in control of any other thyroid treatment or medication, then surgery only works. The surgeons perform the removal of the complete thyroid gland or a lobe of it, which gets infected of the thyroid disease.
But, in case of goiter, surgeons remove the complete thyroid gland. The Hashimoto’s, Graves’ or any kind of abnormal functioning of the thyroid gland may lead to goiter. This in turn needs this treatment.
Apart from these diseases, thyroid treatment also includes some home remedies that can cure thyroid problems.
Natural Thyroid Treatment
There are many methods that add-on to the thyroid treatment naturally. We just need to take proper and extra care of our diet and treatment can work.
Some notable points are:
Eating sea vegetables at least twice a week
Sea foods are a rich source of Iodine content. So, having them at least twice a week can help in treatment. For e.g., Kombu and Kelp are good sources of iodine in sea vegetables.
Butter is good for health
Adding butter to your diet also helps in thyroid treatment. Despite, cutting off high calorie dairy products from your diet to control weight, if you have a thyroid, do go for this treatment. It works!
Cooking the Kale, not taking it raw
Whenever you have to eat Kale, or any other cruciferous vegetables, it should be taken raw. Cooking them is essential to eat. As these cruciferous vegetables contain goitrogens, which can increase the thyroid problem.
So cook your kale before you eat. Some other cruciferous vegetables are broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower, etc.
The special juice for thyroid treatment
A juice can be prepared at home for thyroid cure. It includes cucumber, carrots, coconut water, lemon, and stalks celery. The image below will help you more. This home-made remedy is very easy to make, but one has to take it fresh.
Use less of your Mobile phones
The harmful radiations of the mobile phones are not just a curse to the brain and heart, but to the thyroid gland as well. So, using least of the mobile phones can also help alleviate the thyroid problems in the body, and can help as a treatment.
Taking down some herbs regularly
Some of the herbs keep our body safe from thyroid issues. The herbs like Ashwagandha, aloe vera, ginger, black walnut, nettle, etc., can help well in the thyroid treatment.
Yoga is something that cures every kind of mental and physical illness. The Yoga asanas to cure thyroid issues like Sarvangasana (shoulder stand), Viparitakarani (inverted pose), Matsyasana (fish pose), Marjariasana (cat stretch) are the most useful poses for thyroid treatment.
Along with this, you must try meditation, and Pranayama like Ujjayi, Brahmari, and Bhasrika. They work the best in thyroid treatment. These are some important types of Yoga that can help in enhancing the benefits of thyroid treatment.
Best Treatment for Thyroid
What could be the best thyroid treatment among all? What can be the one which is safest to the body, most reliable, and affordable thyroid treatment among all?
As per analysis, the thyroid hormone replacement therapy is the best treatment for thyroid diseases, including the thyroid cancer. This thyroid treatment works in replacing the thyroid hormone deficiency. This thyroid treatment is in the form of oral pills or capsules.
Levothyroxine is the drug that the doctors mostly subscribe in the thyroid treatment. This drug comes with synthetic form of thyroid hormone, or can also be in the liquid form in capsules. This treatment goes for months, but at times it goes throughout life; depending on the responses of the gland function after thyroid treatment.
Thyroid Treatment in Homeopathy
Homeopathy is the best medication, with no side effects and cheapest treatment. Similarly, thyroid treatment can also be performed through homeopathy. The homeopathic treatment reactivate the thyroid gland to function again properly.
The homeopathy cures the thyroid problem from the root, attacking on the basic cause of thyroid. The treatment takes no risk of surgery, or any iodine diet. This makes it an easier thyroid treatment to hold. There are no side effects of homeopathic thyroid treatment.
The homeopathic medicines mostly used to make the gland function properly are Borium 6 and Thyroidinium 200, and many more.
Thyroid Nodule Treatment
The thyroid nodule is the unusual outgrowth in the thyroid glands, which can grow as a single or multiple mass extending into different branches.
- The thyroid nodule treatment includes surgery. As the continuously growing thyroid nodules it creates trouble in swallowing and breathing. These nodules may be cancerous, so a careful thyroid treatment is a necessity here.
- After the surgery, the radioactive iodine therapy follows that kills the cancerous cells in the gland or the extra thyroid cells if there is any, left after the surgery.
Thyroid Treatment and Weight loss
The underactive thyroid gland or hypothyroidism is related with the weight gain of a person. This specially occurs in women, they mostly complain for this problem. When they face a continuous weight gain due to an unknown reason, the final diagnosis often explains “Thyroid” issue in them.
The thyroid treatment of hypothyroidism helps in controlling the weight of th patient as well. The most effective thyroid medicine Levothyroxine (LT4), helps in the weight loss the most. Through some surveys and researches, this is observed that the thyroid treatment with Levothyroxine helps curing the thyroid problem, but also helps in losing their extra weight of the body.
Thyroid generally leads to the swelling in the body as well. By this treatment, the body also relaxes from the swelling problem, looking slimmer. Apart from maintaining a proper thyroid hormone level and making the glands work properly, Levothyroxine, also helps reforming the proper body shape and fitness. That is why, it is believed to be the best medicine in the course.
Home Remedies for Thyroid Treatment
There are various methods to treat thyroid issues with home remedies, but only if they are not that serious. You must not take a chance to cure thyroid without a physician’s consultation. There can be many methods that can help in thyroid treatment.
- Coconut oil: it contains many medium chain fatty acids, that help in proper functioning of thyroid glands.
- Kelp: kelp is a sea vegetable, or a sea weed, that is rich in iodine content, so helpful in treatment.
- Apple cider vinegar: it helps in proper metabolism and working of all the glands including thyroid glands.
- Fish oil: as being rich in omega 3 and many other fatty acids, help in the working and balancing of the brain and the endocrine glands.
- Guggul and Ashwagandha: These herbs are taken regularly, they can keep our body in a good health, keeping the thyroid work well.
Permanent Treatment for Thyroid
What is the permanent cure for thyroid?
A thyroid treatment that helps in permanent cure of the thyroid issues vary for different problems. In case of Hypothyroidism, the permanent thyroid treatment is the Thyroid Hormone Replacement Therapy, i.e., Medication in the form of thyroid pills.
In case of hyperthyroidism, the radiotherapy or radioactive iodine therapy is the best permanent treatment. It kills the excess thyroid hormone-producing cells and helps in normal functioning of the thyroid gland. There are some medicines also in treatment of hyperthyroidism that can help in gland normal functioning.
Surgery is treatment to cure the goiter, or thyroid nodules. It may also be the permanent cure to thyroid cancer. Though apart from all these thyroid treatment, homeopathy is also a good option as a permanent treatment. If the case is not much severe, homeopathy is a good option to choose.
Thyroid Treatment for Thyroid Cancer
Thyroid treatment for thyroid cancer is among the most reliable and least harmful options in all other options. It involves taking daily thyroid hormone pills, which can also help in two ways to the body:
- First is it will help in normal functioning of the thyroid gland and maintain the vital metabolism running in the body.
- It will kill the cancer cells in the gland, and will cease the further growth of the cancer in the thyroid gland.
Treatment of the thyroid cancer doesn’t affect the body of the patient adversely. But one thing you have to take care is your body should not ever have hyperthyroidism or Graves’ disease earlier. As it may be very dreadful to the patient.
Thyroid Treatment in Pregnancy
During pregnancy, the thyroid level fluctuations are natural. The changes in the body and in the hormonal flow also affect the TSH and T3 and T4 levels in the mother. The thyroid treatment for pregnancy should be supervised by a specialist only.
- Don’t take risk of taking it on your own, as it may throw impact on your health and your baby’s too.
- If it is a case of hyperthyroidism, then the doctor regularly asks for a blood test for a few weeks. In the first trimester, the medicine prescribed is Propylthiouracil (PTU). After a blood test again, the doctors decides if to continue it or not.
- If a case is severe, Methimazole is another option for thyroid treatment.
- Many pregnant women face, hypothyroidism, in such cases Levothyroxine is the best medicine for thyroid replacement. Still it’s best only when the doctor prescribes you with this thyroid treatment.
Thyroid Treatment for Goiter
Goiter has many types of thyroid treatment for the cure.
- The treatment through thyroid replacement therapy: the thyroid replacement through medication balances the thyroid level, helping in the proper functioning of the thyroid gland. Thus, this thyroid treatment helps in curing goiter.
- Radioactive iodine therapy: this thyroid treatment may help in curing goiter by killing the extra cells of the gland and destroying the hormone. Thus, curing the goiter.
- Surgery: surgery is for the severe case of goiter, when there is no thyroid treatment left to work upon it. In this case, the surgeons remove the complete thyroid gland by surgery because this is the only thyroid treatment that can save the patient from letting it become fatal.
Thus, in this way, goiter can get a better treatment.
Thyroid Treatment for Hypothyroidism
In case of Hypothyroidism, the only treatment is thyroid hormone replacement therapy. As we have already discussed, this therapy is given through synthetic thyroid hormone medicines, which help in thyroid hormone production. The most effective and useful medicine is Levothyroixine (LT4).
Through this treatment, the glands starts producing more thyroid hormone, storing and releasing it. In this way, through the more and more stimulation by thyroid hormone; there starts the proper functioning of the gland. Thus, this is the best treatment in case of Hypothyroidism.
Thyroid Treatment for Thyroiditis
Thyroiditis is the inflammation of the thyroid gland cells. It can be due to the Hashimoto’s disease, which is an autoimmune disorder. Thus, it also causes Hypothyroidism.
The cure is thyroid hormone replacement therapy. This prevents hypothyroidism and prevents the glands from getting larger.
In thyroiditis, the thyroid treatment with this hormone replacement method is continued for years and more, because the antibodies don’t easily die due to the Hashimoto’s.
Thyroid Treatment for Papillary Thyroid Carcinoma
In Papillary Carcinoma, mostly radioactive iodine therapy works. It is a good treatment as it kills the cancer cells, through the therapy effect. Also doesn’t cause any adverse effect to the gland cells.
But, in case of the cancer has spread all over the thyroid gland and surrounding lymph nodes, then it requires surgery, i.e., Thyroidectomy, or Lobectomy, if the infection is in a single lobe of the gland. It is done to keep the thyroid gland working and producing hormone.
If in any case, due to the thyroid treatment surgery or radiotherapy the thyroid cells diminish or become non-functioning; it is followed by thyroid hormone replacement therapy to work normally then.
Thyroid Treatment for Thyroid Adenoma
Thyroid adenoma, is the cancerous growth of the thyroid, in form of nodules. It can be single and large in size or multiple.
In case of Thyroid Adenoma or thyroid nodules, the anti-thyroid medicine is given to the patient in the thyroid treatment. If there is a large single nodular thyroid or a multinodular thyroid, then surgery is the only option for the thyroid treatment.
The thyroid nodules may be cancerous, in such cases the radioactive iodine therapy follows surgery. This thyroid treatment works the best in the case of thyroid adenoma.
This was all about the Thyroid treatment of all kinds of thyroid diseases in males and females. I feel this will prove beneficial to you all. Your comments are always welcome.
Related Articles on “Thyroid”- You Must Be Interested In
- Causes of Thyroid Diseases, Nodules, Storm Carcinoma and Cancer
- Home Remedies for Thyroid problems, Underactive Low Thyroid & Weight Gain
- Hyperthyroidism Definition, Symptoms, Causes, Diet, Diagnosis, Treatment and Medication
- Hyperthyroidism in Cats: Causes, Symptoms, Diet, Prognosis, Remedies, Treatment & Life Expectancy
- Hyperthyroidism Symptoms in Women, Men and Cats with Causes and Treatments
- Hypothyroidism Causes, Symptoms, Types & Treatment in Women, Men & Cats
- Hypothyroidism Diet Plan Meal Chart: Best Diet for People with Hypothyroidism to Lose Weight
- Hypothyroidism Natural Treatment Options, Effects & Supplements for Weight Loss in Women/ Men
- Long Term Side Effects of Hypothyroidism in Baby, Males & Females During Pregnancy
- Papillary Thyroid Carcinoma Causes, Symptoms, Prevention & Treatment
- Parathyroid Gland Definition Disease Symptoms Function Level Test & Surgery
- Parathyroid Gland Location, Function, Size, Hormones, Disorders, Diagnosis & Treatment
- Subclinical Hypothyroidism Causes, Symptoms, Diet Treatment Guidelines & TSH Levels
- Symptoms of Hypothyroidism in Women, Men, Children Cats Checklist & Treatment
- Symptoms of Thyroid Adenoma, Cancer, Hypothyroidism & Hyperthyroidism
- Symptoms of Thyroid Cancer in Females & Males in Early & Advanced Stage
- Symptoms of Thyroid in Women During Thyroid Problems, Hypothyroidism & Hyperthyroidism
- Thyroid Adenoma Causes, Symptoms, Treatment & Surgery of Thyroid Adenoma
- Thyroid Cancer-Types, Causes, Symptoms & Treatment of Thyroid Cancer
- Thyroid Cure: Cure Thyroid Problems & Hypothyroidism Naturally & Permanently
- Thyroid Diet Plan for Thyroid Patient with Underactive Thyroid
- Thyroid Disease Definition Types Causes Symptoms Side Effects Tests & Treatment
- Thyroid Function Test Normal Values Interpretation Cost and Significance
- Thyroid Gland – Functions, Location, Hormones With Overactive & Underactive Thyroid
- Thyroid Hormone Synthesis Functions Levels Effects Diseases & Importance of T3 T4 TSH
- Thyroid in Pregnancy: Function, Low Thyroid Symptoms, Levels, Range Tests & Treatmment
- Thyroid Levels Chart Underactive, Low, High & Normal Thyroid Levels Range
- Thyroid Medicine Dosage, Side Effects & Natural Medicine for Hypothyroidism
- Thyroid Nodules Causes, Symptoms, Size, Surgery & Treatment of Thyroid Nodules
- Thyroid Nodules Symptoms & Causes of Cystic, Bilateral, Small Nodules
- Thyroid Problems in Women During Pregnancy Hypothyroidism and Hyperthyroidism
- Thyroid Profile T3-T4-TSH Normal Values, Range, Test Procedure Cost & Interpretation
- Thyroid Stimulating Hormone Effects, Normal Range, Levels, Disorders & Tests
- Thyroid Storm Causes, Symptoms, Management, and Treatment of Thyroid Storm
- Thyroid Symptoms in Men During Papillary Thyroid Carcinoma, Adenoma, Low Thyroid Cancer & Goiter
- Thyroid Test at Home & thyroid function Test for TSH Levels T3 & T4
- Thyroid Treatment for Hypothyroidism, Hyperthyroidism, Cancer, Adenoma & in Pregnancy
- Thyroidectomy Surgery Procedure Steps Scars Diet Types & Recovery complications
- Parathyroid Gland Definition Disease Symptoms Function Level Test & Surgery
Hope this article proves to be productive for all our readers!!
Stay connected and be as healthy as always!!