Alcohol is an addicting substance. It calls the person towards itself. Once a person consumes it, a pull is automatically created and the person is drawn to consume it one more time. This is no black magic, but has purely scientific explanation.
We see today that people are rejoicing over a drink, and the frequent consumption of alcohol, whether on special occasions or as self treatment, cause alcohol addiction.
Addiction is actually a condition where a person has some want or desire of the particular substance or activity.
Then, what is alcohol addiction? It is clear that it is addiction to alcohol.
Let us explore the topic further. Are you ready?
What Is Alcohol Addiction?
Alcohol addiction is also known as alcoholism. It is not just an ailment, it is a disease! It is defined as a “chronic disease in which your body and mind become dependent on alcohol”. The definition is universal, but many people have different perceptions and pre-determined opinions regarding “alcohol addiction”, so they relate accordingly.
It is an extremely serious condition, and is not about casual drinking. However, casual drinking can lead to chronic ailment. The seriousness increases by the fact that multiple age groups are prone to alcohol addiction. If you have someone by your side who is addicted to alcohol or may get addicted to it through his or her excessive drinking, then this is the time to act against it. This is the time to make a decision for their welfare.
Causes Of Alcohol Addiction
When you need to root out some problem, you need to know how deep the roots are. You need to go to the depth to understand the reasons behind the addiction to alcohol. The causes are not always the same and vary from person to person. It depends on the exposure to the specific causes and the response of the person.
Some common reasons include-
- Family tension or personal tension is one of the major causes. Interpersonal relationships with the people make a huge impact on the person’s life. This is how a person is drawn to alternatives of deriving peace and silence, and alcohol proves to be the best companion. The nature of the person is highly under the control of its environment. A positive environment brings healthy changes in life, but a negative environment has the capacity to ruin your life.
- The people also indulge in alcohol addiction if they suffer from a traumatic event or a shock. This can be a death of a loved one or some shock of an incident which has touched the heart to the core.
- Economic struggles also lead to being addicted to alcohol. People drink alcohol in order to think about the solution or to evade the pain. People consume it to relieve themselves of the stress and get some relaxation time.
- People drink alcohol due to pressure from the peers or the colleagues. They want to “fit” into the crowd and don’t wish to get isolated. They want to mingle and make friends. They want to socialise over a drink, which is addictive.
- When people have a constant availability of alcohol around them, they are likely to consume it more often. How can a son not get indulged into drinking alcohol if the father is an alcoholic? It is very rare. If something is being provided free of cost or readily, then we humans have a tendency to enjoy over the free of cost feasts, and thus we shall get indulged into taking more and just more.
- If people are unaware of the after effects of alcohol, they keep on consuming it without any question or doubt. The awareness brings enlightenment and along with it, if people know that they are killing themselves by their alcohol addiction, they will decrease the frequency of drinking.
- Genetic causes are also prevalent.
Signs Of Alcohol Addiction
The signs do not take time to display themselves. They occur as soon as the person consumes alcohol. The behavioural changes are commonly observed at first and then the intoxication outcomes become visible. The obsession of alcohol takes control of the person completely. The person may lose interest in work or other activities. He or she becomes less social and lives usually in isolation. Also, he or she avoids getting into social gatherings and celebrating occasions. The person becomes too loving towards alcohol and too rash towards family and friends. The violent behaviour or poor decision making can be a major sign of alcohol addiction.
Effects Of Alcohol Addiction
The effects are short term and long term. The addicted person is usually involved in criminal cases and car accidents. There is a huge loss of life whether through accidents or suicides. The relationships spoil and the professional working ethics are lost somewhere. The person loses self control and is usually under stress and depression. Alcohol addiction makes you feel low and then relaxed. The supporting characteristic of alcohol creates an addiction towards it. The blood gets intoxicated with the excessive alcohol content and this interferes with the functioning of the body. The basic metabolism is disturbed. Long term effects are liver and pancreas dysfunction. Even cancer can develop due to the alcohol consumption. The brain is not able to work properly and the whole body gets dismantled. People also suffer from nervous breakdowns and gastrointestinal problems.
Alcohol Addiction Symptoms
The symptoms of alcohol addiction have been listed below-
- The addiction symptom becomes visible when the person develops a habit of drinking alcohol quite often and in too much amount.
- The tolerance level of alcohol increases and the person becomes resistant to high doses slowly.
- Alcohol drinking becomes a habit. Some people have tea or coffee in the morning, but alcohol addicts have alcohol in the morning. They do not need special occasions to drink.
- People enjoy the surroundings where alcohol is present and they become very comfortable in such situations.
- The interpersonal relationships get spoiled.
- You hide about your drinking habits and hide alcohol.
- There is depression, stress, mixed feelings, confusion, anger and a lot of mood swings occur.
- The violent behaviour or rudeness is seen.
- Poor judgement and slurred speech
- Impairment of the vision and hearing
The symptoms worsen over the time period and if there is no proper treatment taking place, the consequences can be really major.
Alcohol Addiction Statistics
Facts and figures are always interesting. I love them. Do you?
- We are glad to inform you that there has been a decline noticed in consumption of alcohol up to 2.3%, all over the world.
- Males are more prone to alcohol addiction than the female population.
- Also, age group from 18 to 29 years consume alcohol in large quantities and more often.
- 3 million emergency cases in hospitals were alcohol related.
- 6 million People have addiction to both alcohol and illicit drugs.
- Also, about 95% of alcohol addicts do not realise and accept that they need a treatment.
- Alcohol addiction treatment is the most popular treatment people have been opting for.
Alcohol Addiction Treatment
The effects of alcohol addiction are too strong that a proper treatment is required. The effects are both upon the physical and mental well being. The treatment can be provided at the rehab centres with the help of therapists or specialised experts. The approach is very effective and organised. The patient will feel comfortable and the privacy will be kept safe. The toxins are removed from the body through the process of detoxification. The patient’s life is explored in the best manner, and the root causes are identified. They are then supported with a couple of ideas of how to tackle the problem. The methods are comprehensive and the patient will not feel awkward.
Medication is provided along with the counselling. Group discussions are held and proper interactive sessions take place. Apart from this treatment, a major role is played by the family members and friends in creating a supportive environment for the person to overcome alcohol addiction. You can always talk things out with the person. Get him or her to know that you care and you are with him/her. A little concern can help a lot.
Alcohol Addiction Help
Alcohol addiction is not happening at all. You may be worried about your loved one, and want to help them out. On a personal level, you can take a step yourself. You may try to become the best support of the alcohol addict and help him out to overcome this bad habit. Be calm and determined, because it is not going to be as easy as it sounds. Be friendly and try to be a good listener. You may take some time in making the person open about his views and opinions, but at the end of the day, you will make it. Perseverance and patience is the key.
You can make the person spiritually strong by various methods. A positive change brought about in a positive manner is really very beneficial.
If the condition is worse, you can take the help of a medical professional, and there is no harm in this. The treatment needs to be started as early as possible. Various therapies are used in the treatment, which involves the presence of family members and friends.
Alcohol Addiction Treatment Centers
Choosing a rehab centre turns out to be a difficult task as you don’t know on what basis you should decide and which is the suitable place, where you will be treated at your best. Different people have different needs. The condition and level of your alcohol addiction will decide the treatment you are going to have. The treatment program can be short as well as long. It may take weeks, months or years. Always look for the rehab centre which has the proper license and accreditation from the government. It should be managed and controlled by licensed professionals. The treatment centres should also be checked of their success rates of the treatment. The services they provide and the care they take of you matters a lot. There are different types of treatment programs and the levels are very finely organised.
Check out the ones in your town and look for the services they provide. Visit the location and talk to the professionals. A good gut feeling will tell you that you are at the correct place or not.
We strongly recommended these 3 articles for you. You must read them as well: